Author Topic: Going to climb Alpe d'Huez this weekend. 2014 Update added  (Read 9514 times)

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
Re: Going to climb Alpe d'Huez this weekend. 2014 Update added
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 04:42:27 pm »
I have never gone on a long climb, just the ones Quad has took me on. The longest locally is about 6km.

same here... at least on a road bike.
but when we got married in 2009 on our Rockies Trip... a few rides we did had us climbing for 2 hours before reaching the level single track.   I wish I had a Garmin for that trip!

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2014, 04:54:33 pm »
It's funny how one's attitudes toward these rides changes.   During the climbs, as the effort goes from ok to grueling, I question why I'm doing this.  If it's hot, I never have enough water, and if it's cold, coming down is quite unpleasant. If it's really hot (85F or higher), you start feeling ill and have to rest to cool off, or even give up.  Yet, within a few days of one of these rides, I find myself NEEDING to go ride up one of them. Good to hear someone else here has been bitten by the bug of doing Cat 1 bike climbs, whatever the equipment or the time needed.

Too funny as that is 100% true.

I should add that your time up Whiteface is very fast, probably as fast as bike racers would go.  But I won't say that in case the resident juveniles accuse you of being a mole on the forum for the purpose of getting car enthusiasts to quit driving and get rid of their cars.

It doesn't matter how fast a bicycle goes.  It would never be fast enough for me to get rid of my sports car. 

Hope that wasn't too juvenile for you.  :)

It's too bad you seem to have no idea how silly such comments sound.  Otherwise the forum would not be burdened by such nonsense.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2014, 05:05:46 pm »
Just back from riding the 2500' climb.  Too hot, in the high 20's.  Rode my 1972 vintage Holdsworth Mistral.  Nice new handlebar tape didn't help with the climb, 13km in 1:08.  At least no one passed me on the way up.  Riding up these mountains is like going over a mountain pass, except you come down the same way.  Saw 15-20 other cyclists on their way up or down.

On the way down I was passed by a fellow on a racing bike near the top.  I tried to draft, but he coasted away when he went into a low tuck.  I'm not flexible enough to do that anymore, and the Holdsworth doesn't have gearing high enough for that speed. Anyway, he took the corners like a lummox: slowed down, didn't use the apex, didn't pedal, didn't downshift to get back up to speed sooner. The first highest corner is the sharpest, and I had to brake to keep from running into him.  Same thing happened three more times on the way down, him coasting away from me and me catching him on the corners.  Sort of fun except for being dropped on the straightaways downhill while drafting.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2014, 06:52:42 pm »
Just back from riding the 2500' climb.  Too hot, in the high 20's.  Rode my 1972 vintage Holdsworth Mistral.  Nice new handlebar tape didn't help with the climb, 13km in 1:08.  At least no one passed me on the way up.  Riding up these mountains is like going over a mountain pass, except you come down the same way.  Saw 15-20 other cyclists on their way up or down.

On the way down I was passed by a fellow on a racing bike near the top.  I tried to draft, but he coasted away when he went into a low tuck.  I'm not flexible enough to do that anymore, and the Holdsworth doesn't have gearing high enough for that speed. Anyway, he took the corners like a lummox: slowed down, didn't use the apex, didn't pedal, didn't downshift to get back up to speed sooner. The first highest corner is the sharpest, and I had to brake to keep from running into him.  Same thing happened three more times on the way down, him coasting away from me and me catching him on the corners.  Sort of fun except for being dropped on the straightaways downhill while drafting.

:think:
so you posted a comment and went to do a 2500' climb, came back and posted about it, all within 10 minutes?

post #43
Posted by: X-Traction
« on: Today at 04:54:33 pm »

post #44 "Just back from riding the 2500' climb."
on: Today at 05:05:46 pm

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2014, 11:35:20 pm »
Long crappy drive home so here is the short version....

Online rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2014, 03:59:27 am »

post #43
« on: Today at 04:54:33 pm »

post #44 "Just back from riding the 2500' climb."
on: Today at 05:05:46 pm

He's super-fast or super-BS?   :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2014, 07:22:59 am »
Long crappy drive home so here is the short version....

Nice!  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2014, 08:44:17 am »
The slightly longer version.

The drive to Lake Placid took 2 extra hours mostly due to the border crossing so I wasn't able to get in a short afternoon spin as I planned. Straight to the campground, hung out for a while and then get the bike ready for the big climb.

Three of us this year which was nice and we did a staggered start based on your expected finishing time to avoid having anybody freezing at the top waiting for the others.

We started at 6:45 pm as we have to wait for the gate to close to cars and the staff to leave. This year I think was the warmest of the three times I've done this climb. Not too warm but not cold either, very comfortable. Also the winds were normal which is nice once above treeline.

Its been 2 years since I did the climb so I remember it but found out I forgot a couple of things.

1. How easy the first 200m are.
2. How the grade ramps up again after the last switchback.

What I did remember is how much I hate it through the middle section (miles 2-4) as it feels like it will never end and you can see the summit which still looks very far away.

Had a great start, started to get into a rhythm and tried to settle the heart rate down as much as possible. 

The first mile (of five) went really well although I felt my HR was up a few more beats than I wanted but I still felt good.

Mile two started to feel hard as there are little sections where the grade increases a few times. 

By mile three I started to question my pace and if I would even get close to my time. Started to questions myself why I bother doing these things.

I always look forward to mile four as it has the switchbacks and the grade decreases for a short period which makes you feel super strong again. I actually got up to 24.7 kph (15.4 mph) and it feels like I was going 50 kph!

Of course in mile five the grade maxes out again and it kicks you in the balls. Then you finally see the summit and you give it anything you have left to gain every possible second you can. Across the (virtual) finish line and then stop your bike against the wall so you don't fall down when trying to get off the bike.

My primary goal was to just beat my previous times which by the end of mile 3 I knew it was possible. My secondary goal was to get into the 38's (minutes) which by mile 4 I knew was also possible. During the last mile I noticed I could destroy all my goals and I was able to get into the 36's (minutes). I'm more than happy with my time. I honestly never expected to beat my previous time by that much. On a climb like that 3 minutes is a lifetime.

Two other guys I rode with....my buddy who has done all three with me also set a personal best and the third guy it was his first time so technically, it was his best.

Layer up for the descent back down and I only froze for the first 1.5 miles this time which was nice. Get changed at the car and off to the pub to celebrate.

Great to see you again Whiteface but I won't miss you.....for now.

My heart rate graph.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:51:47 am by quadzilla »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2014, 09:07:25 am »
Awesome climbing. So how noticeable was the wheel upgrade?

For me it was quite noticeable. The stock wheels on my bike where good, strong but a little heavy. The wheels I replaced them with where about 400 grams lighter, has better/stronger hubs and where noticeably stiffer without sacrificing ride comfort. 

Things I noticed where improved handling, better descending and less flex. Now when I say I notice these things I'm talking in very small quantities.

Was I any faster? Nope. Did I make my ride better? Yes.

I got lucky as I found a great deal (70% off) on some new wheels making the upgrade a no brainer.

For people that can notice the little things I believe a great set of wheels can make a difference. I'm not talking about spending $2-3K either. My new wheels listed around $1K, after that I would think the diminishing returns kicks in very fast.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2014, 09:36:16 am »
Hey Quad, what wheels did you buy?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2014, 09:49:26 am »

Mavic Ksyrium Elite S.  I was looking for a set of Easton EA90's but the deal was too good to pass up.

Previous wheels where Fulcrum 5's.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12355
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2014, 10:10:43 am »
Awesome climbing. So how noticeable was the wheel upgrade?

For me it was quite noticeable. The stock wheels on my bike where good, strong but a little heavy. The wheels I replaced them with where about 400 grams lighter, has better/stronger hubs and where noticeably stiffer without sacrificing ride comfort. 

Things I noticed where improved handling, better descending and less flex. Now when I say I notice these things I'm talking in very small quantities.

Was I any faster? Nope. Did I make my ride better? Yes.

I got lucky as I found a great deal (70% off) on some new wheels making the upgrade a no brainer.

For people that can notice the little things I believe a great set of wheels can make a difference. I'm not talking about spending $2-3K either. My new wheels listed around $1K, after that I would think the diminishing returns kicks in very fast.

Interesting - thanks.  I have Fulcrum 5's now, and expect I have a little ways to go before I would be able to really notice / benefit from an upgrade.  What do you know of the Easton EA90's that put them in your crosshairs in the first place?
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2014, 10:24:36 am »

Mavic Ksyrium Elite S.  I was looking for a set of Easton EA90's but the deal was too good to pass up.

Previous wheels where Fulcrum 5's.

:thumbup: These are nice!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2014, 10:40:00 am »

Thanks!

Interesting - thanks.  I have Fulcrum 5's now, and expect I have a little ways to go before I would be able to really notice / benefit from an upgrade.  What do you know of the Easton EA90's that put them in your crosshairs in the first place?

I think your F5's are probably better than the ones I had since my bike is now 5 years old which means my wheels are the older version. Looks like they have made some nice improvements since mine.

As to the EA90's, I was first pulled in with the 1400g wheel weight and Easton makes quality products.  I also think they look sexy without being flashy. I don't need deep dish wheels so they would have worked great for me. I do worry about wheel strength as I'm fat for a cyclist (185 pounds) and I've read that these are quite strong.

Be happy with what you have now (sounds like you are of course) and in a couple of years instead of buying a new bike, just get some new wheels to pimp out your ride. That is another reason why I bought the new wheels, much cheaper than getting a better bike.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2014, 11:54:57 am »
fun report!
congrats on a new personal best!    :cheers:

Started to questions myself why I bother doing these things.

I had a 6hr tag team race on Sunday...... all of us starting thinking these same thoughts   :rofl2:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12355
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2014, 02:15:06 pm »

Thanks!

I think your F5's are probably better than the ones I had since my bike is now 5 years old which means my wheels are the older version. Looks like they have made some nice improvements since mine.

As to the EA90's, I was first pulled in with the 1400g wheel weight and Easton makes quality products.  I also think they look sexy without being flashy. I don't need deep dish wheels so they would have worked great for me. I do worry about wheel strength as I'm fat for a cyclist (185 pounds) and I've read that these are quite strong.

Be happy with what you have now (sounds like you are of course) and in a couple of years instead of buying a new bike, just get some new wheels to pimp out your ride. That is another reason why I bought the new wheels, much cheaper than getting a better bike.

Indeed I am.  I was just curious as to the benefit to be gained by someone a lot more advanced than I am. 

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2014, 09:59:07 pm »
The slightly longer version.

The drive to Lake Placid took 2 extra hours mostly due to the border crossing so I wasn't able to get in a short afternoon spin as I planned. Straight to the campground, hung out for a while and then get the bike ready for the big climb.

Three of us this year which was nice and we did a staggered start based on your expected finishing time to avoid having anybody freezing at the top waiting for the others.

We started at 6:45 pm as we have to wait for the gate to close to cars and the staff to leave. This year I think was the warmest of the three times I've done this climb. Not too warm but not cold either, very comfortable. Also the winds were normal which is nice once above treeline.

Its been 2 years since I did the climb so I remember it but found out I forgot a couple of things.

1. How easy the first 200m are.
2. How the grade ramps up again after the last switchback.

What I did remember is how much I hate it through the middle section (miles 2-4) as it feels like it will never end and you can see the summit which still looks very far away.

Had a great start, started to get into a rhythm and tried to settle the heart rate down as much as possible. 

The first mile (of five) went really well although I felt my HR was up a few more beats than I wanted but I still felt good.

Mile two started to feel hard as there are little sections where the grade increases a few times. 

By mile three I started to question my pace and if I would even get close to my time. Started to questions myself why I bother doing these things.

I always look forward to mile four as it has the switchbacks and the grade decreases for a short period which makes you feel super strong again. I actually got up to 24.7 kph (15.4 mph) and it feels like I was going 50 kph!

Of course in mile five the grade maxes out again and it kicks you in the balls. Then you finally see the summit and you give it anything you have left to gain every possible second you can. Across the (virtual) finish line and then stop your bike against the wall so you don't fall down when trying to get off the bike.

My primary goal was to just beat my previous times which by the end of mile 3 I knew it was possible. My secondary goal was to get into the 38's (minutes) which by mile 4 I knew was also possible. During the last mile I noticed I could destroy all my goals and I was able to get into the 36's (minutes). I'm more than happy with my time. I honestly never expected to beat my previous time by that much. On a climb like that 3 minutes is a lifetime.

Two other guys I rode with....my buddy who has done all three with me also set a personal best and the third guy it was his first time so technically, it was his best.

Layer up for the descent back down and I only froze for the first 1.5 miles this time which was nice. Get changed at the car and off to the pub to celebrate.

Great to see you again Whiteface but I won't miss you.....for now.

My heart rate graph.

Thanks for the long version. 

My heart rate sits at 160-165 for the hour+ it takes me to do the local climbs.