Author Topic: Preview: 2019 Volvo XC40  (Read 7099 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Re: Preview: 2019 Volvo XC40
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2017, 09:58:51 am »
Volvo & Saab used to kinda occupy the same space, but now they're all alone. To me, Volvo should be right there with Audi & BMW... I still find Merc a notch above those 2 though. And I think that Lexus is right below Merc, but above BMW & Audi. Infinity is just a notch below Audi & BMW and then Acura is a notch below Infinity... that's how I see them still.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 10:21:02 am »
Agreed with all of that.

The previous gen Volvos were a hair above Acura but I think the new models are moving them upscale.  Certainly that's the case with the XC90 and V90.  And the XC60 looks to be moving up too.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:05:25 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12357
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2017, 11:22:19 am »
Realistically for 51 k$ TTC I'd rather just consider the ______ [whatever].
^^ that's my point.  At $51k, would you rather a loaded Sportage SX 2.0T for $10k less?  How about a loaded Forester XT also for $10k less?  Or any in that segment.

What, other than the name of "Volvo" would compel a would-be buyer to choose this over a comparable X1 for the same money or "lesser" vehicles (better equipped) for 20% less?
I don't see Kia or Subaru in the same category as Volvo. Volvo I would compare with Audi, BMW, Merc, Citroën DS, whereas the Kia or Subaru I'd compare with Hyundai, Mazda, Honda, Toyota. To me, a different level of refinement that you can't fix with leather and standard features. But that's just me I guess.

I see Volvo as more Acura / Infiniti than Mercedes / Audi.
I would agree, but I do think the gap between something like a top trim Kia and a premium brand isn't as wide as it would have been 20 years ago...further complicating it is the premium brands are selling some pretty low hanging fruit in an attempt to get people into the brand (CLA, etc).

I'd agree with placing Volvo as a "near luxury" brand occupying a middle ground between the mainstream and higher end brands. Although, you're right in saying the lines are getting blurred

Exactly.  They may wish to be viewed as a Mercedes competitor, but if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.  You don't get to point of being in the same conversation as the top marques just by declaring that you are "moving upscale".  Harder yet when you are doing so with nothing but 4-pots under the hood. 
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2017, 11:23:44 am »
Realistically for 51 k$ TTC I'd rather just consider the ______ [whatever].
^^ that's my point.  At $51k, would you rather a loaded Sportage SX 2.0T for $10k less?  How about a loaded Forester XT also for $10k less?  Or any in that segment.

What, other than the name of "Volvo" would compel a would-be buyer to choose this over a comparable X1 for the same money or "lesser" vehicles (better equipped) for 20% less?
I don't see Kia or Subaru in the same category as Volvo. Volvo I would compare with Audi, BMW, Merc, Citroën DS, whereas the Kia or Subaru I'd compare with Hyundai, Mazda, Honda, Toyota. To me, a different level of refinement that you can't fix with leather and standard features. But that's just me I guess.

I see Volvo as more Acura / Infiniti than Mercedes / Audi.
I would agree, but I do think the gap between something like a top trim Kia and a premium brand isn't as wide as it would have been 20 years ago...further complicating it is the premium brands are selling some pretty low hanging fruit in an attempt to get people into the brand (CLA, etc).

I'd agree with placing Volvo as a "near luxury" brand occupying a middle ground between the mainstream and higher end brands. Although, you're right in saying the lines are getting blurred

Exactly.  They may wish to be viewed as a Mercedes competitor, but if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.  You don't get to point of being in the same conversation as the top marques just by declaring that you are "moving upscale".  Harder yet when you are doing so with nothing but 4-pots under the hood.

Exactly, do not try to sell me a "luxury" vehicle with an economy car powerplant.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2017, 11:44:48 am »
...and now Mazda is attempting to poise itself in the "upmarket" area.
i think most "mainstream" brands (Mazda, Buick, Kia/Hyundai, Honda, etc) are all really doing their best work on top trim models to somewhat blur those lines.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 11:48:23 am »
The previous gen Volvos were a hair above Acura but I think the new models are moving them upscale.  Certainly that's the case with the XC90 and V90.  And the XC60 looks to me moving up too.
i would somewhat agree, but i do see some areas of questionable premiumness in the XC40, which is likely expected if "premium" brands are bringing themselves down to the upper mainstream price bracket.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 12:09:22 pm »
Volvo isn't near-luxury these days.  They're right in line with the Audi, BMW and Mercedes brands these days. 

Take the XC60 for example.  Pricing it out with the R-Design and a few options aligns it perfectly price-wise with the Q5 S-Line and fully loaded (Exclusive + Premium Plus packages) GLC 300. 

Step up to the XC60 T8 and suddenly you're looking at a large ($5K+) premium over the GLC43 and SQ5.  Yikes. 

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1160
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 01:16:26 pm »
Pricing of the XC60 T8 is crazy. About $14K above a R with the same equipment.  ::)

Subsidy brings that back to $12K after taxes..

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 01:51:35 pm »
...and now Mazda is attempting to poise itself in the "upmarket" area.
i think most "mainstream" brands (Mazda, Buick, Kia/Hyundai, Honda, etc) are all really doing their best work on top trim models to somewhat blur those lines.

Just look at Ford’s F150 prices...and keep in mind the Lariat crew cab 4x4 2.7Ecoboost is their bread and butter - $57k to start.