Author Topic: Average 'Life Expectancy' (KMs) of a 2013 VW Golf 2.5 L Sportline Wagon?  (Read 9964 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Just do a general search for old VW and you will see their lifespan seem short - it seems like 150-160k kms is when they disappear. I bet likely the transmission or something really expensive goes, making it worthless to fix.

LOL, no. Plenty of VWs around with high kms.

Under $10k for a low KM 2013 Sportline wagon sounds super reasonable to me. The Sportline trim is actually fairly rare, moreso on the wagon. It came with some neat wheels. If the owner has taken care of the car it sounds like it's a good buy to me.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
I think VWs reputation isn't as deserved as some people think. 

I would put my money on a VW outlasting a comparable Kia/Hyundai product.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline drutgat

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Used to Have a Mazda GLC - Now It Is Time to Again Buy A Car!
I have been offered a 2013 VW Golf 2.5 L Sportline Wagon with 91,000 KMs for $8000, and cannot seem to find what the average life expectancy of this model is.

I spent several hours yesterday with my friend, who is selling the car, going over the car's history, appearance, problems (very few so far), and so on, and taking the car for a test drive.

My friend takes care of his possessions very well, and any issues that do exist will probably only be revealed by an inspection by a mechanic.

My friend is asking $8000, and I am trying to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of this model, primarily in terms of how long it will last.

In reading up on the traditional problems that this model has, it seems that the car has been free of all of them, barring the increasing creaks and groans which are typical as this model ages.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Just do a general search for old VW and you will see their lifespan seem short - it seems like 150-160k kms is when they disappear. I bet likely the transmission or something really expensive goes, making it worthless to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Tauri13 - for some reason I could not find that kind of info., so thanks for this.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:42:55 am by drutgat »

Offline drutgat

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Used to Have a Mazda GLC - Now It Is Time to Again Buy A Car!

LOL, no. Plenty of VWs around with high kms.

Under $10k for a low KM 2013 Sportline wagon sounds super reasonable to me. The Sportline trim is actually fairly rare, moreso on the wagon. It came with some neat wheels. If the owner has taken care of the car it sounds like it's a good buy to me.

Thanks, OliverD.

I love the trim on the Sportline, and - because my friend (like me) is anal about taking care of things, everything on and in the car works, although there are the usual creaks and groans which are apparently common with this model.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Thanks, Tauri13 - for some reason I could not find that kind of info., so thanks for this.

Don’t listen to tauri as he is anti VW and many other things not Ford.

VWs easily last 200-300K kms.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
With or without one burned out headlight?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Oh, with.  Absolutely with.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
With of course. If all lights are working be afraid.  :P

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
I saw these ads:

https://www.kijijiautos.ca/vip/15797899/
https://www.kijijiautos.ca/vip/15704046/

maybe i should fix it for 1K and raise he price lol....

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500

Oh, with.  Absolutely with.

I know we’re having a laugh here, but I thought that was just a MK4 thing?

I’ve had to replace bulbs on every single car I’ve owned - Nissans, Honda, couple of GMs. My VW has been no better or worse: one headlight and one license plate bulb in ten years.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
my mk5 had 2 headlight burn in 10 years, and no other bulbs that i recall.  (my mk4 had bulbs burn if i glance at it wrong :o)

we had it for just under 200k km, automatic.  and upto that point, replace 2 wheel bearings and 2 axles. both at the front (axles, obviously)
as preventive maintenance, did spark plugs twice, but mechanically very sound. even the shocks were still original. 
they were certainly on their way out, but not fully out yet.
at that point, the only thing that was bothering me about the car was sway bar bushing squeaking in winter.  little lube and it would go away for a while. 

2.5 inline 5s certainly feel like reliable old motor.

your friend's wagon may not be worth full 8k asking, but i would easily think it's worth 5~6k.  4k too little.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 11:52:49 am by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
The 2.5 and 2.Slow should be good for at least 300,000km. It's the electronic problems that develop that are a nightmare to diagnose and fix.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
The 2.5 and 2.Slow should be good for at least 300,000km. It's the electronic problems that develop that are a nightmare to diagnose and fix.

On a MK5 or 6? What kind of nightmare electronic problems are these known to develop?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
My Mk7 needed two new bulbs in the first 2.5 years.  Plus a tail light.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile

I am not anti VW, just being realistic here - a simple search on autotrader for 200k kms VWs returns only 134 results — that’s for ALL VWs

Then you look at a brand like Toyota - 409, Honda - 498, Ford - 561....by all margins even BMW is better 118 cars still out there.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S

I am not anti VW, just being realistic here - a simple search on autotrader for 200k kms VWs returns only 134 results — that’s for ALL VWs

Then you look at a brand like Toyota - 409, Honda - 498, Ford - 561....by all margins even BMW is better 118 cars still out there.

You do realize that way, way more Toyotas, Hondas, and Fords are sold, right???

Also high KM cars tend to show up on Kijiji, not AutoTrader.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
A manual golf wagon will easily do 250K km if looked after. It's not a complex car.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
A manual golf wagon will easily do 250K km if looked after. It's not a complex car.
Any car should last 250,000 km

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Well bear in mind, a clutch replacement is what...$3.5k?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Average 'Life Expectancy' (KMs) of a 2013 VW Golf 2.5 L Sportline Wagon?
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2020, 01:31:32 pm »

You do realize that way, way more Toyotas, Hondas, and Fords are sold, right???

Also high KM cars tend to show up on Kijiji, not AutoTrader.
And you realize there are way way less BMWs sold right?

Hence why I added them in there - by all margins, there should be at least 300 VWs.

To me that’s an obvious indication of below average life.

I’ve seen many ads of people trying to sell their VWs - usually around 120-160k kms - for 2 reason, 1- DSG blew up and its expensive as hell to replace 2- Turbo blew up and its expensive to replace...I’ve also seen some 2.5s eat up the chain, so full engine failure...

The op should do his own unbiased search online - at least for awareness of the risks he is signing up to and potential costs involved.

If the price here was $4k, I’d say it was a decent deal....save another $4-5k of what’s to come as insurance.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:36:46 pm by Tauri13 »