Author Topic: Any love for the new Lexus GX?  (Read 9805 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Any love for the new Lexus GX?
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2023, 02:13:17 pm »
Yup AWD for the two upper luxury trims.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2023, 02:45:05 pm »
What do our SUV loving members think of new GX?

Fob? Trade in possible??

https://www.thedrive.com/news/2024-lexus-gx-takes-a-giant-leap-with-super-boxy-design-off-road-focus

I really like the looks of it, but like with anything new, the engine is no bueno. The reason I was so gung ho about the model we got was the rock solid powertrain. I guess we'll wait and see, but downgrading to a V6, I don't know.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2023, 02:58:30 pm »

Fob? Trade in possible??

https://www.thedrive.com/news/2024-lexus-gx-takes-a-giant-leap-with-super-boxy-design-off-road-focus

I really like the looks of it, but like with anything new, the engine is no bueno. The reason I was so gung ho about the model we got was the rock solid powertrain. I guess we'll wait and see, but downgrading to a V6, I don't know.

I'm with you. I personally think the outgoing 460s are kind of bloaty/ugly to look at, but would own one a thousand times over. We had a really nice one in inventory that we sold to DriverJeff actually, and I spent a few days with it. Thing is absolutely delightful.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2023, 03:03:25 pm »

Fob? Trade in possible??

I'm with you. I personally think the outgoing 460s are kind of bloaty/ugly to look at, but would own one a thousand times over. We had a really nice one in inventory that we sold to DriverJeff actually, and I spent a few days with it. Thing is absolutely delightful.

I did not buy it for looks, at all. In my opinion, they should have brought the Land Cruiser Prado here, stuck some nice seats in it, the V8 and called it a day. I couldn't argue with the driving experience, reliability and resale value. This to me is a much better looking design, leave the diesel in it, or put the V8 twin turbo diesel in it  ;D, a few leather soft bits and this would be the ultimate replacement.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2023, 03:22:58 pm »
Funny that, I was thinking this new one looks much more like a Land Cruiser evolution than anything.

Can imagine Land Rover salesman getting a bit concerned

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2023, 03:25:23 pm »
Funny that, I was thinking this new one looks much more like a Land Cruiser evolution than anything.

All the looks of a Defender and the capability but will last way past the first oil change....yeah, would be really tough time.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2023, 04:13:27 pm »
I dig the looks.
It still gets a live rear axle, right?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2023, 04:14:46 pm »
I think this thing looks great!   Though agree, I'd certainly prefer a V8 to the new turbo 6.   But hey - 2023...

....I just asked my wife what her thoughts on the styling was, seeing as a lot of our wives are fans of the G Wagon and Land Rover Defender.  As expected, she is a pretty big fan of it and definitely prefers it to the LX. 

Does anyone else find it a little funny that a lot of woman really love the styling of manly off road looking vehicles?

Yeah, I thought the GX might be an option when we were shopping for my wife's rig back in 2018.   She dug the utilitarian styling, but driving around a true BOF truck wasn't really a perfect fit for our use case.   Same as 95% of people really.   The Q7 just made a lot more sense.

Still - I like the idea of a GX quite a lot.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2023, 04:22:03 pm »
Looks pretty good to my eyes at the surface.  I like the slab sided boxy shape and the toned down front end styling looks much better.  Also like that they make a third row an option.  Biggest improvement to me is that they got rid of that swinging rear door as that was the one deal breaker for me on the last one.  Too bad they got rid of the V8 but no surprise there.  Cabin looks pretty good.  Overall looks much better than the new LX.
I agree with all this, it's a great looking rig.  Sure it might be taking some styling cues from Land Rover, or whoever, but is that a bad thing?  Shame about the V8, but at least it's not some turbo 4 with hybrid tech.  I'd take this over the LX, and not just because the LX is much bigger than our needs.

Sounds like it's barely smaller than the LX and they have the same wheelbase.

Looks pretty good though I'd like to see it in some other colours.
I'm wondering what the price will end up being.  The LX and the GX currently have around a $35K price spread between models, surely that will shrink some, but how much?  I just asked my wife what her thoughts on the styling was, seeing as a lot of our wives are fans of the G Wagon and Land Rover Defender.  As expected, she is a pretty big fan of it and definitely prefers it to the LX. 

Does anyone else find it a little funny that a lot of woman really love the styling of manly off road looking vehicles?

Wife exclusively like G wagon, LX, GX, Wrangler, loved our old Montero, any of these jellybean things never entered the convo when we were looking for a new car for her.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2023, 04:53:09 pm »
Looks pretty good to my eyes at the surface.  I like the slab sided boxy shape and the toned down front end styling looks much better.  Also like that they make a third row an option.  Biggest improvement to me is that they got rid of that swinging rear door as that was the one deal breaker for me on the last one.  Too bad they got rid of the V8 but no surprise there.  Cabin looks pretty good.  Overall looks much better than the new LX.
I agree with all this, it's a great looking rig.  Sure it might be taking some styling cues from Land Rover, or whoever, but is that a bad thing?  Shame about the V8, but at least it's not some turbo 4 with hybrid tech.  I'd take this over the LX, and not just because the LX is much bigger than our needs.

I'm wondering what the price will end up being.  The LX and the GX currently have around a $35K price spread between models, surely that will shrink some, but how much?  I just asked my wife what her thoughts on the styling was, seeing as a lot of our wives are fans of the G Wagon and Land Rover Defender.  As expected, she is a pretty big fan of it and definitely prefers it to the LX. 

Wife exclusively like G wagon, LX, GX, Wrangler, loved our old Montero, any of these jellybean things never entered the convo when we were looking for a new car for her.

My wife says the new G wagen is too rounded.  ;D

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2023, 04:57:57 pm »

lol

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2023, 06:29:33 pm »

lol

Kubel it is then!

Offline LanderGX

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: F150
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2023, 12:09:55 am »

lol

Kubel it is then!

That one looks fun to drive!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2023, 03:40:53 pm »
Medium equipped unit will be $100K in Canada.  Twin turbo V6 shoe horned in.  Lease only I suppose @8.5% which is what Lexus Canada is requiring for the RX.  Tax in the GX will be a mere $2000 a month for 48 mth.  Can't wait to jump on that.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2023, 08:16:20 am »

You called it!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2023, 08:18:42 am »

Fob? Trade in possible??

I did not buy it for looks, at all. In my opinion, they should have brought the Land Cruiser Prado here, stuck some nice seats in it, the V8 and called it a day. I couldn't argue with the driving experience, reliability and resale value. This to me is a much better looking design, leave the diesel in it, or put the V8 twin turbo diesel in it  ;D, a few leather soft bits and this would be the ultimate replacement.

Y'all got your wishes!

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2023, 06:48:16 am »
Finally got some drive time planned for the new GX in late January. Supposed to include some off-roading too. Very much looking forward to this.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2023, 07:21:49 am »
I was a little surprised it’s a little less $$ than I was expecting in the states.  Makes me hopeful it won’t start in the $100k+

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2023, 08:30:23 am »
Y'all got your wishes!

Now THAT works!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2023, 06:44:01 pm »
Need to get the Lexus to get the proper engine.