Author Topic: Leaving the air con on for my dogs  (Read 2414 times)

Offline ali.don

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: jeep
Leaving the air con on for my dogs
« on: June 03, 2022, 02:12:21 pm »
Hey All.. I would love some expert opinions here. I am planning a road trip to Mexico with my dog and needed a vehicle that would be suitable for my dog. I bought the Kia Seltos because I was told I would be able to lock the doors while running so my dog didn't get heat stroke and die.

Turns out I cannot have the car running and take the key and lock the vehicle (and even if I could if someone broke the window they could just drive away without the key as long as the key was used to start the vehicle - how is that a safety feature??) I was told I could use Kia Connect but apparently that only works while the vehicle is in Canada and clearly I won't be in Canada if I am in Mexico!

I cannot use the remote start with the fob for longer than 10 mins - I mean I don't plan on leaving my dog for hours but 10 mins barely covers finding a bathroom. At least with the remote start, a person can't drive away as the vehicle shuts down but I would want a remote start that ran for about 30 mins

So, is there an SUV (I would be open to a small truck but dog space may be limited) that would allow me to have a longer remote start time or a way to leave the air con on without the vehicle being stolen?

As Mexico is not really set up for electric I am interested in a gas vehicle

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Leaving the air con on for my dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 02:28:24 pm »
Maybe do some research on aftermarket remote starters where you can set the run time.  Maybe there is a product out there that will allow you to remote start the vehicle and have it remain running for 30+ minutes.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 07:07:25 pm »
I don't advise ever leaving a pet in a running vehicle.

Recently, in Winnipeg, someone left their vehicle running with their dog inside.  The car overheated, the fire department was called, there was smoke, but thankfully the dog was unharmed.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ali.don

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 01:20:06 pm »

Recently, in Winnipeg, someone left their vehicle running with their dog inside.  The car overheated, the fire department was called, there was smoke, but thankfully the dog was unharmed.

I hear what you are saying and thank god that dog was ok... I don't think that is the norm though and ideally, I won't have to leave them in the car but if I am in Mexico and the temp is 40 degrees and I have to go pee I want to have a backup plan!

Offline ali.don

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 01:22:52 pm »

I did call my audio install guy and he says they don't even carry them anymore and the dealership muttered something about voiding warrantee.. arg... but I did wonder if a plug in AC would work...