Author Topic: Electric Trucks  (Read 15764 times)

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Trucks
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2020, 09:56:34 am »
^ no kidding, what was GM thinking?!

Anyway, Rivian is getting close to production :
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1129669_rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-towing-11-000-pounds-up-davis-grade-in-scorching-heat

Offline barkbomes9

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: renault
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 01:23:35 am »
Hi all. I am in need of a truck for our small hobbie farm, and I am thinking about an electric truck. My current car is a lease and ends in June 2021. No electric trucks will be available at that time. So, I’m looking at the new hybrid F150 to be released.

Should I go with a smaller Tesla, and get a cheap/used beater truck? Or buy or lease the hybrid F150 and wait for a full electric truck? Looks like it will be 3 - 5 years before we have more options.

Thanks for any thoughts one way or the other.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2021, 01:45:57 am »
Farm truck, buy a decent used truck as its going to get hammered on a farm.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2022, 12:54:00 pm »
Good video:  TFL takes the F150 Lightning on their grueling Super Ike Gauntlet test.  I'm looking forward to watching them test their Lightning while towing, so they can determine the true impact that towing has on range. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSpyDBSca6Q

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2022, 12:57:44 pm »
Good video:  TFL takes the F150 Lightning on their grueling Super Ike Gauntlet test.  I'm looking forward to watching them test their Lightning while towing, so they can determine the true impact that towing has on range. 

You know, I think an EV is likely one of the better applications for this tech.  I mean trucks are already super heavy, big, handle poorly, so adding a bunch of batteries is easier to fit and adjust for the added weight.  Plus having instant torque and power is great for a vehicle that tows. 

The worst place I can think of to use EV tech is sports cars.  Adding weight, size, and compromising the handling (not to mention not having a manual or the audible sounds of an engine) just isn't a good enough compromise for the crazy acceleration you get from EV's. 

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2022, 01:23:50 pm »

You know, I think an EV is likely one of the better applications for this tech.  I mean trucks are already super heavy, big, handle poorly, so adding a bunch of batteries is easier to fit and adjust for the added weight.  Plus having instant torque and power is great for a vehicle that tows. 

The worst place I can think of to use EV tech is sports cars.  Adding weight, size, and compromising the handling (not to mention not having a manual or the audible sounds of an engine) just isn't a good enough compromise for the crazy acceleration you get from EV's.

You're bang on.  I couldn't care less if my family hauler is fun to drive (I mean obviously....just look at my vehicle list).  In fact, I'm looking forward to my electric minivan / 3-row SUV future....lower maintenance and energy costs, fewer service appointments, etc.  It's the perfect use case.  But I've having a hard time believing there will be any reasonably priced, electric sports cars.  Given how many miles I really drive, gas would need to be double today's high pricing to push me to give up the 128.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2022, 04:37:54 pm »

You're bang on.  I couldn't care less if my family hauler is fun to drive (I mean obviously....just look at my vehicle list).  In fact, I'm looking forward to my electric minivan / 3-row SUV future....lower maintenance and energy costs, fewer service appointments, etc.  It's the perfect use case.  But I've having a hard time believing there will be any reasonably priced, electric sports cars.  Given how many miles I really drive, gas would need to be double today's high pricing to push me to give up the 128.
We are not that far from that, if nothing changes…and we had the carbon tax @$170, has would very much be approaching $4/L now. I predict we will see $3 by April 2023 though - clean fuel standard will kick in & another round of carbon tax gets piled up on gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2022, 05:28:43 pm »
Can you get a 4XE Compass in Canada?  Parked behind one at tonight’s hotel. They got electric or hybrid everything here!!

Seen quite a few RAM and F2/350s and even some big GM 2500. One Edge (!) so far and even quite a few Exploders. The old old Ranger styled kind. Even a Volt. Sticks out considering.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2022, 03:25:59 pm »
Welp,

I called it a few years ago when Tesla announced the Cybertruck, and some people claimed it was going to be a game changer for towing trailers.  As it happens, towing even a medium-sized travel trailer severely eats into electric truck range, to the point where it is almost unuseable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e55Vued028

They ended up having about 1/3 of the range towing a trailer vs NOT towing a trailer. 

I think for the near future at least, electric trucks will need to be used exclusively in cities, at least where towing is concerned, which will likely relegate them to worktruck status.  Don't get me wrong - I think the F-150 Lightning is a brilliant vehicle, and it's the first mainstream EV capable of doing actual work and actual towing.  Just don't expect to buy a Lightning and be able to hitch your trailer up and pull it across the country.  It's not going to happen just yet.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 03:33:12 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2022, 03:33:39 pm »
More or less in line with my gasser. 9-11 L/100km not towing (90-105 km/h) vs 25-30 L/100km towing. Just under 3x more gas.

We may have to cancel our Rockies and Okanagan camping trip this year due to gas prices whereas we could've salvaged those trips on electric.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 03:35:27 pm by dkaz »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2022, 03:35:28 pm »
More or less in line with my gasser. 9-11 L/100km not towing (90-105 km/h) vs 25-30 L/100km towing. Just under 3x more gas.

That's probably right.  BUT - most pickup trucks have more gasoline range to begin with than the Lightning has battery range, and filling your tank with fuel when you're empty doesn't take 45-60 min.

An extended range EV would probably help a little, but at 1/3 the range, I still don't think you're going to get very far. 

We may have to cancel our Rockies and Okanagan camping trip this year due to gas prices whereas we could've salvaged those trips on electric.

Yeah, that really sucks.  I think that will be the case for quite a lot of people.  There may be a glut of RV's for sale in the coming fall/spring.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 03:40:58 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2022, 03:54:24 pm »
Welp,

I called it a few years ago when Tesla announced..

Anyone with a brain can see through Tesla nonsense....

But yea...trailering anything reduces range..ICE or EV.

But as you point out, ICE is more convenient in this case.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 04:04:00 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2022, 05:02:16 pm »

That's probably right.  BUT - most pickup trucks have more gasoline range to begin with than the Lightning has battery range, and filling your tank with fuel when you're empty doesn't take 45-60 min.

An extended range EV would probably help a little, but at 1/3 the range, I still don't think you're going to get very far. 

Yeah, that really sucks.  I think that will be the case for quite a lot of people.  There may be a glut of RV's for sale in the coming fall/spring.
The question is, will Ram or Chevy come out with an ice range extender, one that could extend the range when towing?  If that could bring the range back closer to no trailering range, would be enough to make it feasible at least.  Then you can stop at a fast charger for half an hour and get 80% of your range and top up the range extender as well.  But of course I am no engineer so no idea if that feasible.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2022, 06:06:38 pm »
I've been saying for years that a PHEV truck with enough EV range for daily driving (50-75 kms) and a gas engine for towing/weekend duties is the way to go right now.

I was hoping Toyota would do that on the new Tundra, but so far no go.

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2022, 10:19:36 pm »
I'm in need for an EV truck and have ordered both a Lightning (Standard Range - $80K) as well a Cybertruck (Price = unknown).

Don't need trailering but will be needing / utilizing the bed on a weekly basis.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2022, 01:56:32 pm »
Welp,

I called it a few years ago when Tesla announced the Cybertruck, and some people claimed it was going to be a game changer for towing trailers.  As it happens, towing even a medium-sized travel trailer severely eats into electric truck range, to the point where it is almost unuseable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e55Vued028

They ended up having about 1/3 of the range towing a trailer vs NOT towing a trailer. 

I think for the near future at least, electric trucks will need to be used exclusively in cities, at least where towing is concerned, which will likely relegate them to worktruck status.  Don't get me wrong - I think the F-150 Lightning is a brilliant vehicle, and it's the first mainstream EV capable of doing actual work and actual towing.  Just don't expect to buy a Lightning and be able to hitch your trailer up and pull it across the country.  It's not going to happen just yet.

Electric trucks unable to do truck things.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2022, 01:57:15 pm »
I'm in need for an EV truck and have ordered both a Lightning (Standard Range - $80K) as well a Cybertruck (Price = unknown).

Don't need trailering but will be needing / utilizing the bed on a weekly basis.

If all you need is a bed, then why not buy something half the price? 

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2022, 03:30:58 pm »
Chatted with a guy towing a small trailer with a dual motor Model X yesterday in Revelstoke. He’s able to get about 130km towing range through the mountains. He’s retired so not in any type of hurry. Gets to see what every town is like while they recharge, jump on the electric bikes and tour around. He also has a Volvo XC90 hybrid at home, said that’s a much better vehicle overall, Teslas apparently aren’t all that well built.

Made me appreciate my 780km range with 8 minute top ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2022, 02:14:10 pm »
I'm in need for an EV truck and have ordered both a Lightning (Standard Range - $80K)

as well a Cybertruck (Price = unknown).

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1159
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2022, 08:36:00 pm »
The Lightning just went up $10K.