Author Topic: Mazda 3 Shifter Locked in Park  (Read 40604 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Mazda 3 Shifter Locked in Park
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 10:04:31 pm »
excuse me, I'm a little confused.

so, is it that with all the burnt out brake lights, it's causing this shifter lock up?  or is it the other way around - the brake pedal switch problem that's causing the brake lights not working?   ???

It's likely the brake pedal switch problem that's causing the brake lights not working.

Or have a quick look at your fuses....could be a fuse... 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Rosberg

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 10:09:14 pm »
thank you very much everyone, I'll keep you guys posted.  :)

fwetzel

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 08:59:27 pm »
Well I did a search today because I'm having the same problem. I have a Mazda 3, 2005 with just under 70,000k on it.

I find mine will come out of park if I keep pushing the break, on and off and once i hear the "click" with the shifter I know I can shift it out of park.

I also notice that my break lights are not working most of the time. Same thing if i keep "pumping" the breaks the lights will come on once and a while.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 09:00:49 pm »
Any ideas?

Thanks.

Uh yea....the same ones we've already provided....Sound like you have the same issue...

Squishy

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 09:05:51 pm »
Sounds like the brake pedal switch as well.  Most of them are a "plunger" type switch (like your fridge door light switch) that gets depressed when the brake pedal is released.  If the plunger gets dirty, it will fail to extend when the brake pedal is pressed down.  You should be able to stick your head under the dash and follow the brake pedal assembly until you find such a switch.  It is usually close to the pivot point.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 09:11:38 pm »
Cars have brakes for stopping, not breaks.  Though if your brakes break, then you might have a break from driving thanks to the shop having to repair your brakes.  Hopefully they're competent and don't break your brakes more than they're already broken.

Them's the, well, you know...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 09:20:21 pm »
 ;D ;D  I claim first correct diagnosis in the first reply  ;D ;D    close enough anyway!
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

fwetzel

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 09:35:59 pm »
Sorry, yes Brakes not Breaks... but anyways...

Just ran outside and followed my brake pedal up to the "switch" it doesn't seem to be stuck but i find if i "wiggle" it i can hear my swifter unlock and lock. So it must be the switch.

I guess I'm buying a new one.

Thanks again!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 09:40:27 pm »
If you unplug the switch, you'll see pins.  You should be able to jump the pins until you get a new switch and all should be well.  YMMV though....

barrie1

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 12:37:21 am »
By the way fwetzel Welcome to the Forum.  :)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 07:21:42 am »
Cars have brakes for stopping, not breaks.  Though if your brakes break, then you might have a break from driving thanks to the shop having to repair your brakes.  Hopefully they're competent and don't break your brakes more than they're already broken.

Them's the, well, you know...

:rofl: :rofl2:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 10:36:37 am »
If you unplug the switch, you'll see pins.  You should be able to jump the pins until you get a new switch and all should be well.  YMMV though....

Except if you jump the connectors your brake lights will be on all the time. 

BTW, some brake light switches are mounted so that the brake pedal depresses the plunger when the pedal is not depressed. When you push the pedal the switch plunger moves out due to an internal spring and makes the contacts.  If it gets dirty or the spring breaks it can jam and not work.  Likely just worn or dirty contacts though.  Get a new switch.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 07:23:27 pm »
I must say I'm thoroughly impressed by the troubleshooting in this thread.  Very cool, and nicely done, guys.   :thumbup:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 07:27:04 pm »

Except if you jump the connectors your brake lights will be on all the time. 

BTW, some brake light switches are mounted so that the brake pedal depresses the plunger when the pedal is not depressed. When you push the pedal the switch plunger moves out due to an internal spring and makes the contacts.  If it gets dirty or the spring breaks it can jam and not work.  Likely just worn or dirty contacts though.  Get a new switch.

Quite possibly.  I've never done on on a Mazda3.  On other cars...no such issue with the tail lights.  Good catch though....