Author Topic: The Cell Phone Thread  (Read 105762 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
The Cell Phone Thread
« on: February 18, 2017, 02:21:50 pm »
Does anyone have the new Google Pixel?  If so, how are you liking it?  I currently have the Google Nexus 6P, just wondering if there is any valid reason to upgrade to the Pixel XL?
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: The Cell Phone Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 06:58:56 pm »
Does anyone have the new Google Pixel?  If so, how are you liking it?  I currently have the Google Nexus 6P, just wondering if there is any valid reason to upgrade to the Pixel XL?

There is never a valid reason to a get a new phone! My backup phone (Blackberry Curve )is more reliable, and longer battery then 3 of my wife's phones!

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 08:21:02 pm »

There is never a valid reason to a get a new phone! My backup phone (Blackberry Curve )is more reliable, and longer battery then 3 of my wife's phones!

Not so sure about that.  My phone is more important than a laptop to me as it's literally my main work device on the fly.  Virtually all of my emails, invoices, etc are done on my phone, so having a fast and stable phone is important to me.  YMMV of course.  :)

Edit:  I'll also add that I like getting a new phone every 2-3 years (assuming there is one worth upgrading to).  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:25:01 pm by CanuckS2K »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 08:34:58 pm »

Not so sure about that.  My phone is more important than a laptop to me as it's literally my main work device on the fly.  Virtually all of my emails, invoices, etc are done on my phone, so having a fast and stable phone is important to me.  YMMV of course.  :)

Edit:  I'll also add that I like getting a new phone every 2-3 years (assuming there is one worth upgrading to).  :)

Yeah I guess.  But for years, phones have been able to do that.  Having more mega pixels, and more memory won't make the beer sell any faster then it does! 

http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/why-old-school-cell-phones-are-making-comeback.html

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 06:20:21 am »

I can understand that , as you can get more emails than calls now
You need to open up PDFs on the road, spend pictures of fack ups ,
if you are not using you phone for business , you can stick with an old style flip phone

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 07:19:32 am »
For me the biggest reason to upgrade is degradation of the batteries performance.

My current Moto X is great but the non replaceable battery is starting to show it's age.

And yeah, by all accounts the Pixel's are great phones.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 03:46:14 pm »
For me the biggest reason to upgrade is degradation of the batteries performance.

My current Moto X is great but the non replaceable battery is starting to show it's age.

Good point regarding the reduction of battery life over time.  I've had my Nexus 6P for about two years now, and while the battery life is still excellent, it's not quite as good as when it was new.  Not remotely close of enough reason to upgrade though just yet.  I've heard lots of great things about the Pixel, so was just curious if it's worth upgrading to at this point. 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 05:00:51 pm »
The need to upgrade every year or two is diminishing.   I'd keep your 6P until the next big thing.   I'm still on a one plus one.   And besides a few niggles I have no reason to upgrade.   

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 05:21:28 pm »

Good point regarding the reduction of battery life over time.  I've had my Nexus 6P for about two years now, and while the battery life is still excellent, it's not quite as good as when it was new.  Not remotely close of enough reason to upgrade though just yet.  I've heard lots of great things about the Pixel, so was just curious if it's worth upgrading to at this point.

Maybe an idea could be just buy an extra battery, or one of those battery pack things.  For quite a few devices, I have bought an extra battery because the original wasn't lasting as long, and a backup is always nice.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 07:28:02 pm »
Not all phones have replaceable battereis *cough* apple *couph*  But i agree, currently using an lg g3 and it is more than capable enough for what I use it for. When I do upgrade, its never to the latest model, usually can get one that a year or so old for "free".
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 06:08:23 pm »
Not all phones have replaceable battereis *cough* apple *couph*  But i agree, currently using an lg g3 and it is more than capable enough for what I use it for. When I do upgrade, its never to the latest model, usually can get one that a year or so old for "free".
Samsung did that too...So I went with the previous gen with replaceable batteries
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 07:38:14 pm »
Can't replace the battery in mine without pulling the screen off the phone. Not worth it, IMO.

And I'm not gonna drag around a battery pack and charging cable.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 08:06:32 pm »
Most phones are sealed now.   But they can be replaced,  just not as easy.   Blame wanting thinner phones

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 05:01:28 pm »
Was planning on replacing my Nexus 6P with the Pixel XL in the somewhat near future.........but now the new Galaxy S8+ has me very interested.  I've had Nexus phones for the last several years and love having the latest updates and no bloatware.  But I also like the fact that the S8+ offers wireless charging and is also waterproof.......might come in handy working in the new brewery.   ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 05:14:40 pm »
The more I have it, the more I like my iPhone SE.  It's stable and reliable and works great.  Does all the things I need and is fast and I love the size.  I just hate some of the Apple-verse, but I've learned to work around a lot of it.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 05:33:32 pm »
The more I have it, the more I like my iPhone SE.  It's stable and reliable and works great.  Does all the things I need and is fast and I love the size.  I just hate some of the Apple-verse, but I've learned to work around a lot of it.

I LOVE my MacBooks, but I will never ever own another iPhone. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 05:46:30 pm »
I have the Galaxy S5. It's slowing way down since interior memory is only 16gb. I put everything I can onto an SD, buy the phone is slow due to hand if the memory being used for apps.

I'd go for the S7 now. Dirt cheap, great phone. Water resistant. No replaceable battery though, and no USB-C.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 05:58:37 pm »
I have the Galaxy S5. It's slowing way down since interior memory is only 16gb. I put everything I can onto an SD, buy the phone is slow due to hand if the memory being used for apps.

I'd go for the S7 now. Dirt cheap, great phone. Water resistant. No replaceable battery though, and no USB-C.

I don't find my S5 slow at all.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 06:08:12 pm »
Was planning on replacing my Nexus 6P with the Pixel XL in the somewhat near future.........but now the new Galaxy S8+ has me very interested.  I've had Nexus phones for the last several years and love having the latest updates and no bloatware.  But I also like the fact that the S8+ offers wireless charging and is also waterproof.......might come in handy working in the new brewery.   ;D
Is it waterproof or water resistant?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 06:22:58 pm »
Been quite happy with my S7. Samsung has kept bloat fairly contained.

Some of their apps are actually quite good, just limited in functionality somewhat. That said I don't really use any of their apps ....

The S8 looks great.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!