Author Topic: Checking your oil  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +248/-202
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata GL
Re: Checking your oil
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2018, 12:08:37 am »
I may still have the dealer service once a year and supply Amsoil signature series oil and filter.

I sent my 22K oil off for analysis using the Amsoil Signature and 15K filter and it came back showing shockingly little degradation.  I'm going to be VERY comfortable going 25K on that combination.  I think that most Toyota engines have pretty tight tolerances and the EGR systems don't seem to pollute the oil much.  But, those premium filter really do work - combined with full synth, damn.  I was SO skeptical.  Over the last years I've been slowly increasing the interval and sending the oil off.  At 15K intervals it basically came back as new.  Amazing!

Thanks for mentioning oil analysis.  I haven't had the 3's oil done yet.  Will do so at the next change in April.
ďThere are no bad pictures; that's just how your face looks sometimes." Abraham Lincoln

Offline DKaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +233/-270
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 3 GS-Sky 6MT, 2004 Toyota Sienna LE
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2018, 07:31:40 am »
Thatís 15k to 25k miles too remember. My dad loves this stuff. He drives 100k km each year between his two cars so he only has to change his oil four times a year instead of twelve. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-250
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Mini Clubman JCW, 2017 Mini Cooper
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2018, 08:45:18 am »
No dipsticks means never having to check the oil.

Offline No-san

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +739/-2068
  • Today was a good day, or so I keep telling myself
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Fozzie XT; '10 Mazda 3
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2018, 09:11:57 am »
How much mileage since that last oil change?  Judging by the color of the oil in the picture, either the oil had a lot of mileage or I'm afraid it was not changed at all...
If you read it again, you'll note that it was a stock image of a Mazda3 dipstick - not a picture of my car or my oil.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +225/-150
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2018, 02:42:59 pm »
It's not worth it for me to do the oil changes myself.  The dealer charges $15 more than what I would pay for the oil and filter. 

Plus, VW made it a pain in the ass to change the oil on the Mk7 TDI.

Ill advised to change own oil if car is new and under warranty like you say to save $15.   VW warranty approval "people" will look much more favourably on a vehicle with a regular service history in their system.

Yes, at least wait until the warranty is over before going the diy route.

Offline wongpong

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-13
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Sienna ltd, 2011 sportwagon tdi.
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2018, 02:55:19 pm »
I do them myself and itís not that bad. Just have to remove the plastic protector.

Do you have a mk7?  Just curious.

They changed it so you now have to unclip a wire, tuck it out of the way and not spill too much oil removing the cartridge filter.  Not too bad, just a pain in the ass.  All the earlier models had the filter accessible from the engine bay. 

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=439016

I have a 2011 so whatever MK it is. Looks like they change couple thing on the Def model. I certainly donít have a wire and my oil filter is easily accessible from the top.