Author Topic: 2017 Smart Electric  (Read 37856 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: 2017 Smart Electric
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2017, 12:41:58 pm »
What do you guys think of the C-max?? I don't mind the looks and its got like 180hp.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2017, 12:43:23 pm »
Try to find a Focus.  I was told none available in Canada.

Despite the Ford website telling you there is.

The 3 year lease really is the best deal when you get the full rebate as well!

Why no rebate for motorbikes?  Empulse TT has a range of 225km -- based on math that would be a 14k rebate or a $2k bike lol

Cool idea on the bike!
Agree on the 3 yr lease ... seems like quite a loophole. Wonder what it does to the end-of-lease return pricing / buyout options - probably just cheaper to buy a new one after 3 yrs (if the rebate still exists) so where will all the 3 yr old returns end up?

Also means that even for someone like me who doesn't like leasing and keeps their cars a long time, it makes no sense to buy when I can get 2 or 3 $14k rebates over a 10 yr ownership period...

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2017, 01:06:45 pm »
What do you guys think of the C-max?? I don't mind the looks and its got like 180hp.

It's a very nice PHEV. Owners enjoy them. I love the size of this thing. I which GM would have designed the Bolt to be that size; even at the sacrifice of a few km of range.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2017, 01:09:21 pm »

It's a very nice PHEV. Owners enjoy them. I love the size of this thing. I which GM would have designed the Bolt to be that size; even at the sacrifice of a few km of range.

I like the plug in part, plus its got an engine and it actually looks good, something I've never been able to say about any Prius. If it came in awd, this would be seriously on my radar.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2017, 09:08:43 pm »
http://openroadtoyotarichmond.com/new-toyota-cars/2015-toyota-prius-plug

- this is 2015 model. 37,500 before tax.
So the new one will be around 39,500, optimistically speaking, due to bigger battery, more standard features and weak dollar.

After tax, 44,635-8,095=36,540 in Ontario, for the base model. Not exactly peanuts for a non-luxury compact.  :(

I know you can't always compare US and CDN pricing, but ~ $40k seems really high given it's listed at US$27k, unless the US has a cheaper base model that we won't see? I think the Prime is actually ~ $3k cheaper (in the US) than the previous plug-in version - although that would still put it above the $30k I guestimated here.
Previous Prius was grossly overpriced here.

Apparently not supposed to be an issue this time around.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2017, 09:51:57 pm »

So the new one will be around 39,500, optimistically speaking, due to bigger battery, more standard features and weak dollar.

After tax, 44,635-8,095=36,540 in Ontario, for the base model. Not exactly peanuts for a non-luxury compact.  :(

I know you can't always compare US and CDN pricing, but ~ $40k seems really high given it's listed at US$27k, unless the US has a cheaper base model that we won't see? I think the Prime is actually ~ $3k cheaper (in the US) than the previous plug-in version - although that would still put it above the $30k I guestimated here.

How so?
Rav4 hybrid is $5500 more expensive here than in the US.  I guess we'll find out soon, but the CAD exchange as well as provincial rebates will surely be taken in consideration by Toyota when they price it.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2017, 11:20:06 pm »

How so?
Rav4 hybrid is $5500 more expensive here than in the US.  I guess we'll find out soon, but the CAD exchange as well as provincial rebates will surely be taken in consideration by Toyota when they price it.

If they keep it the same for Prius price differential in the US, the PHEV should be $30k before rebates here.

I think last time the "base" Prius plug in was well over $30k USD.

I think with the reduction in battery price, things should be better this time around.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:32:35 am by rrocket »

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2017, 09:55:37 pm »
 Okay. I have a semi-related question for smartelectric. I am quite serious so:

In your opinion and experience, what is your thoughts on driving a used smart ED from a dealer to where I live?

I will give conditions based on current weather here and average this time of year.

We currently have a snow squall warning and can get quite windy here (Highest point in Ontario, which also brings in drive will be mostly uphill although not huge incline.). It is current -19C here. The drive from Newmarket is approximately 100 or so km so say 120 to be safe. The drive will mostly be at approximately 95 km/h if roads clear, maybe as low as 60 km/h of snow drifts.

The car is a 2014 smart ED with winter tires and 13 000 km.

I tend to use heat moderately even in normal cars, usually only high enough to defrost windows.

Full lighting will be used and possibly wipers.

So. My question is. Will it makes it? And if so, will it be iffy and barely make it if I'm lucky or will it be fine and no worries as long as I don't get stupid wasteful?

I wondered this as I know the car has what?, 150ish km range? So I figure a third of the range deducted due to weather and well, to my thinking, it'd be REAL close!

Real close is not always good here as most of the drive will be in rural areas. The last 30 km especially will literally have NOTHING as far as room to get off and get a charge, etc. It's not an area I want to pull onto a side road and trust no one to hit it while I hitch to town and get a tow truck.

Would it make it? Or would it be best to just get it flatbedded here in the first place?
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2017, 10:04:27 pm »
At -19C, uphill, you wont make it. In the summer, probably no problem. But in those conditions I would have it flat bedded unless you can recharge just before you get to that last 30 km.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2017, 10:40:18 pm »
At -19C, uphill, you wont make it. In the summer, probably no problem. But in those conditions I would have it flat bedded unless you can recharge just before you get to that last 30 km.

Pretty much what I thought. Thanks. Yeah, summer'd be no problem but even if roads are clear in Newmarket, well........ :rofl2:

I've had roads completely clear and then 10 km from home roads are drifted over and 40 km/h in white outs. It's usually that last 30 km/h stretch I have to worry about more than the entire rest of the trip.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2017, 04:15:35 pm »
I have a 2013 Smart ED and here are my ranges for driving it (temperature and driving style included):
http://mysmartelectricdrive.blogspot.ca/2014/03/range-experiences.html

In -20C, this car is only capable of ~70km of range driven 90 km/h steady with minimal cabin heating.
Always use the heated seats as they are low energy draw compared to heating the cabin.

Even if you stop to charge along the way, the built in charger is only capable of 20 km of range added per hour plugged in, so driving 120 km in that very cold weather would potentially split into two 60 km runs, with 3 hours of charging half way.   Not something I would personally put up with ... I'd flat bed the car...

I love my Smart ED, see my blog for more personal experiences with the car and some Q&A debunking of EV's and Smart ED in particular.

I have to say tho, I really was hoping Smart would have increased the range of the new for 2017 model, which they did. but only another 15% or so, not the 50% improvement some other EV's have made in the past 4 years since the 2013 came out.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 09:20:28 pm »
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/rushing-across-a-city-in-an-electric-smart-was-the-most-entertaining-drive-ive-had-in-ages/

Rushing Across A City In An Electric Smart Was The Most Entertaining Drive I’ve Had In Ages

I realise something: I’m smiling. The instant torque, the body roll (which actually isn’t as pronounced as you might expect), the titchy size and the quick steering; it all makes for a hugely fun way to haul ass across town. I’ve had plenty of drives lately which have thrilled me more, but for sheer, joyful entertainment? I’m struggling to think of anything I’ve driven recently to rival this little electric car.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2017, 10:39:38 pm »
http://www.autotrader.ca/expert/20161212/first-drive-2017-smart-fortwo-electric-drive/

Interior materials have taken a dramatic step up the refinement scale, with fun colours and shapes still in keeping with the tiny ForTwo’s bubbly personality. Automatic climate control and a height adjustable driver’s seat are standard, with an optional LED package (also includes cornering fog lights and rain sensor), a touchscreen package (larger 7-inch screen with rear back-up camera), and individual luxury (panoramic fixed sunroof, ambient lighting) and safety options (forward collision warning).

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2017, 10:59:01 pm »
WHAT’S HOT: Easiest car to park maybe ever; tight turning circle for optimum urban manoeuvrability; surprisingly fun to drive; kinda cute.

https://www.thestar.com/autos/2017/03/04/2017-smart-fortwo-electric-drive-is-one-entertaining-ride.html

For a no-brained car reporter who hates everything EV, he seemed to like the Smart ED.

Because electric motors develop peak torque at 0 r.p.m., launch is very brisk — 0-60 km/h comes up in just 4.9 seconds. No Porsche Turbo, but sprightly enough.

No real worries about crash protection, despite its size, because the car scores very well crash testing, thanks in large part to the ‘Tridion’ structure, made by a subsidiary of Canada’s own Magna corporation.

if you’re in the market for a halfway affordable battery-powered car, you might as well put the Smart on your shopping list.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2017, 02:40:05 pm »
The interior looks like it's straight out of Barbie's toy car.

If you think that black leather interior in the story is "out there", try the interior on my 2013 Smart Electric:

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2017, 10:41:58 pm »
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/the-2017-smart-fortwo-electric-drive-is-now-even-more-of-a-bargain/

New Smart ED is cheaper in US than the previous model (the one I own).
Rough math and comparison to US pricing puts an Ontario Smart ED at $18K drive away (all in)...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2017, 02:37:47 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Y6uNB-x2c
some Smart Car dealers in the U.S. are choosing to become 'service only' centers later this year when Daimler ceases shipping internal combustion engined Smart Cars across the Atlantic and makes the brand all-electric in North America.

The reason? Aside from the costs associated with training to become an electric vehicle Smart Dealer, some dealerships aren't convinced customers want an electric car, while others remain distrustful of the technology behind electric cars.

Were it any other brand, dealer misinformation and prejudice, combined with poor training of dealerships on the part of the automaker would be to blame. But in the case of the Smart ForTwo and Smart ForFour, there are several additional layers of issues in North America which prevent the Smart Car from being a success.

Which leads us to ask: will the Smart Car die in North America later this year when Daimler makes the brand all-electric? Outside of key Smart Car friendly markets, we think so.

Watch the video above to find out more

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2017, 10:59:15 pm »
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/smart-fortwo-second-generation-is-smarter-than-the-first-a7817436.html

You’ll love traffic lights, because you dash away from them like you’re in a very hot hatch. Up to about 40mph it feels really quite quick, with a big electric shove delivered in near silence. The electric motor works incredibly smoothly and seamlessly

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2017, 11:09:04 pm »
 I like the way it looks! Interesting color!

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2017, 11:40:57 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gnI0ib3cCU

The Smart ForTwo Cabrio Electric Drive takes everything that makes a regular ForTwo Cabrio so well-suited to the city – namely its style, size, manoeuvrability, and the open-air appeal that really makes you feel at-one with the urban environment – and adds an even more city-friendly electric drive system.
Read the full review here: http://bit.ly/2thk0oy