Author Topic: The All Encompassing Thread for Complaining about SUVs & CUVs  (Read 25145 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: The All Encompassing Thread for Complaining about SUVs & CUVs
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2018, 09:45:29 am »
no, it is warranted - they are a blight on our roads in their vanilla homogeneous blob swarms...and the fact that everyone buys them makes the manufacturers not want to make anything but them [this is happening], so the rest of the vehicle market shrinks, gets less money for development, less model vidersity, and then less sales as a result...

Phew.  Nice to see we're back on track!
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2018, 06:13:03 pm »
Not the kind of ladies that you want to stick around, anyway...

Are you saying ladies who don't like minivans aren't marriage-worthy?

Nothing against minivans, but all the hate against CUVs is nonsense.  People buy what they want with their own money.  Let'em enjoy/regret their decisions instead of bashing them.

No, not at all.  What I'm saying is that the kind of woman that is impressed and attracted to you by the car you drive is the kind of woman you really only want to take home for one night. 

And, with regards to the hate against CUV's, I believe minivans are hated far more than CUV's.  How many threads are started off with: "I need a vehicle to transport my wife and 4 young kids, but I REFUSE to drive a minivan". 

SO, I ask YOU!!!  What's with all the hate against minivans, and all the love for CUV's?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:26:10 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2018, 06:42:22 pm »
The people who hate minivans think of them as the velcro shoes of the automotive world.

The people who hate CUVs understand the practicality of said velcro shoes.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2018, 09:57:46 pm »
^^^agreed

if you have to ferry about little beta-humans, and need an elevated driving position because you are a tad older and your back is wonky...then embrace winning at the game of life and get a minivan. It can be a chick magnet too, if you are looking, saying "I am virile, I can make children and care for them, and I am a family man." I have a number of friends that are looking for that kind of guy right now.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2018, 11:54:08 am »
Minivans can be "cool"....

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2018, 11:48:28 am »
Not the kind of ladies that you want to stick around, anyway...

Are you saying ladies who don't like minivans aren't marriage-worthy?

Nothing against minivans, but all the hate against CUVs is nonsense.  People buy what they want with their own money.  Let'em enjoy/regret their decisions instead of bashing them.

No, not at all.  What I'm saying is that the kind of woman that is impressed and attracted to you by the car you drive is the kind of woman you really only want to take home for one night. 

And, with regards to the hate against CUV's, I believe minivans are hated far more than CUV's.  How many threads are started off with: "I need a vehicle to transport my wife and 4 young kids, but I REFUSE to drive a minivan". 

SO, I ask YOU!!!  What's with all the hate against minivans, and all the love for CUV's?

As I said, I have nothing against minivans.  I think they're great if you have little kids and/or go camping & like to just throw stuff in the back.  I would have hugely benefited from having one during my recent trip to Lowe's for some lumber.

Sure, the recent trend is CUVs, who knows what the next big thing will be?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2018, 02:29:48 pm »

I think the Boomers are going to downsize vehicles but want raised platforms for their old, weak, fat bodies to slide in and out of.  For some time I see the mini-ute and CUV class to be popular as they will overlap Boomers and young people alike.

We might see something similar to this soon...

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2018, 04:00:16 pm »

I think the Boomers are going to downsize vehicles but want raised platforms for their old, weak, fat bodies to slide in and out of.  For some time I see the mini-ute and CUV class to be popular as they will overlap Boomers and young people alike.

We might see something similar to this soon...

I agree about growing mini-ute thing.  CH-R, Kona, HR-V, CX-3, are becoming more and more popular among the generation.  I can see my mom wanting one for her next car.

I don't mind CUV/SUVs, and I like the ride height and utility of my MDX very much, but not so much the weight and body lean when turning.  I would love to get Audi A7 or Kia Stinger for my next vehicle to replace the MDX.

CBC article about cars dying:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/small-cars-trucks-suvs-1.4644725

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2018, 05:15:46 pm »
For all the love of the seating height of the CUV, my missus is one of the few people around that much prefers the low height and "close to the road" driving position of the Corolla vs a RAV4.  She found the Forester okay thanks to it's very car-like seating position, but with most CUVs now much higher up, she doesn't like them.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2018, 05:48:42 pm »
For all the love of the seating height of the CUV, my missus is one of the few people around that much prefers the low height and "close to the road" driving position of the Corolla vs a RAV4.  She found the Forester okay thanks to it's very car-like seating position, but with most CUVs now much higher up, she doesn't like them.
my missus is the same, says she feels like she is driving a Tonka truck when she drives CUVs (last was a Kia Soul). It was her who picked the Saab for the turbo noise and power delivery, and her who wanted it lowered a tad. Love that woman.

but they are in the 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000001% of drivers out there, female or not

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2018, 05:55:13 pm »
My wife likes the wagon but I'm pretty sure she would trade it for a new Tiguan in a heartbeat.   She also doesn't miss the manual, but would have been fine with one.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2018, 12:08:27 am »
My wife hates the GTI: thinks it's too small and too low. But she can drive a stick (and well), so I have to give that to her.

Funny thing happened the other day. We were driving along in the Yukon and a Ford Explorer passed us. Thinking it looked pretty sharp, and thinking it might make a decent replacement for the Yukon someday, I asked my wife what she thought about it and whether she'd consider something like that for us.

She got all excited and gave a big "Hell yeah!" I was a little surprised, because she loves the Yukon so much. But then when I asked further, her response was "What?!? That's way too small to replace our Yukon - it would be the replacement for your GTI!"

And, yes, she was totally serious. And, no, it's never going to happen.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2018, 12:24:31 am »
My wife hates the GTI: thinks it's too small and too low. But she can drive a stick (and well), so I have to give that to her.

Funny thing happened the other day. We were driving along in the Yukon and a Ford Explorer passed us. Thinking it looked pretty sharp, and thinking it might make a decent replacement for the Yukon someday, I asked my wife what she thought about it and whether she'd consider something like that for us.

She got all excited and gave a big "Hell yeah!" I was a little surprised, because she loves the Yukon so much. But then when I asked further, her response was "What?!? That's way too small to replace our Yukon - it would be the replacement for your GTI!"

And, yes, she was totally serious. And, no, it's never going to happen.

You never know....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2018, 12:34:07 pm »

Smart woman. :thumbup:
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-433
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2018, 10:55:51 am »
my missus is the same, says she feels like she is driving a Tonka truck when she drives CUVs (last was a Kia Soul). It was her who picked the Saab for the turbo noise and power delivery, and her who wanted it lowered a tad. Love that woman.

but they are in the 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000001% of drivers out there, female or not

My wife used to do the mom thing in our manual Volvo V70R. As much as she liked a fast, tight handling wagon with great brakes once she drove the LR3 there was no contest. For day to day family duty and beyond (back roads, forest service roads, towing, maneuverability, schlepping) the LR3 was far superior to the wagon. It stayed,  the Volvo was sold.

The market has spoken and the market is never wrong.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2018, 12:14:20 pm »
I liked this from a recent Jalopnik article:

"Everyone wants size they don’t need. Everyone wants an air of opulence, an image of rugged, outdoorsy individualism, and they wreck their bank accounts for crossovers they don’t need when something like the Yaris iA will get the job done just fine....It’s a shame that the crossover explosion means we’re losing cheap, dependable, small cars, the kind ideal for a first driver or a family on a budget or someone on a trip after a rental that isn’t miserable. Because some of these cars are better than they’ve ever been."
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:17:13 pm by ChaosphereIX »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2018, 12:20:03 pm »
People do the same thing with their houses – they buy way more square footage than they need, and compromise quality of construction and design in order to do so.

I'm not sure we can completely blame the crossover for the death of the small car. Those small cars have tiny profit margins and basically exist to get buyers into the brand. Carmakers must be ecstatic that shoppers are willing to pay more for what is basically a small car but slightly lifted.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-433
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2018, 12:22:22 pm »
The LR3/4 has a smaller footprint than the Volvo V70R it replaced but seems to have double the room. Of course it feels like double the weight too. ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2018, 01:01:24 pm »
The LR3/4 has a smaller footprint than the Volvo V70R it replaced but seems to have double the room. Of course it feels like double the weight too. ;D
Those V70's were cramped inside compared to the outside dimensions! Great cars tho. I still see my old one every once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....