Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2305907 times)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #7240 on: August 14, 2017, 10:58:11 am »
hey, i'm a phd! "Poppa Had a Dealership"

young, old, male, female, native, recent immigrant... whoever does the job the best should get the job, with certain benefits for the longer serving as a reward for loyalty and (hopefully) skill-set. while new blood is important, it shouldn't be forced in while there is a good employee in the position currently, no matter the age.

as you said at the end there chaos... "one of the lucky ones"... you know now (and likely when you started your studies) the likelihood of getting full time employment. i've never understood the mindset where people aim for a hard to get job, but then complain when it's hard to get.

i totally get the frustration though.... especially if the people are *not* good at the jobs anymore...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #7241 on: August 14, 2017, 11:16:44 am »
hey, i'm a phd! "Poppa Had a Dealership"

young, old, male, female, native, recent immigrant... whoever does the job the best should get the job, with certain benefits for the longer serving as a reward for loyalty and (hopefully) skill-set. while new blood is important, it shouldn't be forced in while there is a good employee in the position currently, no matter the age.

as you said at the end there chaos... "one of the lucky ones"... you know now (and likely when you started your studies) the likelihood of getting full time employment. i've never understood the mindset where people aim for a hard to get job, but then complain when it's hard to get.

i totally get the frustration though.... especially if the people are *not* good at the jobs anymore...

This.

In India, it is the other extreme.  For the longest time, if you got good grades, then you only had three choices - med school & engineering school (incl. computer science) tied for first choice and law school was a distant second.  If you chose, or were interested in anything else, you were asked:

"Why are you choosing this when you can go to (one of the three mentioned above)?"

"How will you get a job after studying (anything not mentioned above)?"

Things are slowly starting to diversify now where kids are studying, and more importantly pursuing careers in, fields such as film, music, social work, academia etc.

On one hand I understand the philosophy of "only studying something you know you can make a living with", but on the other hand I don't like the suppression of a kid's interests that that approach brings.     

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #7242 on: August 15, 2017, 03:49:00 pm »
Bittersweet.

Unofficially have a job offer internally within the company for a position in Germany. This is great- I get to move to Europe (again) and this time it's permanent.

Of course, this means essentially driving the wrecking ball AGAIN through my social life. After 15 months, I had just started to rebuild it.  :banghead:
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1251/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: August 15, 2017, 06:47:55 pm »

Of course, this means essentially driving the wrecking ball AGAIN through my social life. After 15 months, I had just started to rebuild it.  :banghead:

It won't be hard to replace 1 friend.   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: August 15, 2017, 06:54:44 pm »

You can't resist, can you ?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7245 on: August 15, 2017, 07:10:38 pm »

You can't resist, can you ?

:rofl2: :rofl:

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #7246 on: August 22, 2017, 08:20:28 am »
Beautiful evening last night, so went for a drive.

Come up behind a car going about 40 km/h who is having a hard time driving in a straight line. Lots of wandering in the lane and sudden corrections.  Maybe you can figure out what’s going on here.
Road splits into two lanes, so I take the opening on the right and pass.  I glance over to see the guy is on the phone/texting right?
Nope.  He is occupied with a fidget spinner is his right hand.

My faith in humanity just took another hit.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: August 22, 2017, 05:34:56 pm »

Come up behind a car going about 40 km/h who is having a hard time driving in a straight line. Lots of wandering in the lane and sudden corrections.  Maybe you can figure out what’s going on here.
Road splits into two lanes, so I take the opening on the right and pass.  I glance over to see the guy is on the phone/texting right?

I would've thought he was drunk.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: August 22, 2017, 05:37:34 pm »

I would've thought he was drunk.

Or an old person.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7249 on: August 22, 2017, 09:13:03 pm »
That America missile cruiser that had a cargo ship crash into it in Singapore....how the hell does that happen??? Did the navy equip these things with an $80 fish finder from Canadian Tire?? I know that waterway is busy, but come on, its not like a cargo ship is fast and unpredictable

Sent from my SM-T377W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: August 22, 2017, 09:15:51 pm »
That America missile cruiser that had a cargo ship crash into it in Singapore....how the hell does that happen??? Did the navy equip these things with an $80 fish finder from Canadian Tire?? I know that waterway is busy, but come on, its not like a cargo ship is fast and unpredictable

It's the second time in a month or so that Navy ships have crashed into vessels killing sailors....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: August 22, 2017, 09:18:10 pm »

It's the second time in a month or so that Navy ships have crashed into vessels killing sailors....
Yeah....to me thats utterly unacceptable. Some drunk guy ramming his seadoo into your speed boat, sure, two gigantic ships, one being a high tech navy warship hitting each other, no way.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7252 on: August 22, 2017, 09:22:32 pm »
Momentum.  A friend of mine served in the Navy and he was explaining that those large ships have a serious amount of momentum in the water that makes precision very difficult and they can't avoid other ships worth a crap.  In tight spaces, I understand that small craft are completely unaware that their large neighbour can't stop and turn like they can.  He was also saying that from the bridge or on deck, the height precludes them from seeing a lot of small things.  That said, he did say that on his boat they never hit anything.

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #7253 on: August 22, 2017, 09:23:36 pm »

Initial reports suggest the navy destroyer (USS John S McCain) lost steering. Lots of speculation about increased operational tempo, budget cuts and deferred maintenance.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7254 on: August 22, 2017, 09:28:08 pm »
The irony is that US military spending is more than the rest of the world combined, but soldiers often go without the right equipment and maintenance and service are often gone without thanks to lack of funds.  Where does it all go?  A lot to private hands.  The US military complex is probably the most corrupt area of the entire government.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: August 22, 2017, 09:43:25 pm »
The aircraft I encountered from the USAF were for the most part, in disrepair when I was in the air force.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #7256 on: August 22, 2017, 11:57:09 pm »
I agree - lots of dollars spent...and their equipment is in disrepair. Especially for naval craft, if you do not keep up in maintenance, the entire ship ceases to function. For example, look at Russian vessels after a patrol or two...they fall apart despite being state of the art. Lack of maintenance. Some subs can even be identified by their wonky props or clattering cooling pumps, etc.

Would not be surprised if the ship lost steering, or sailors were sleeping on the job - that has been known to happen too all too often.

Sad state of affairs regardless. The military is indeed corrupt [US is not alone in this - just look at the Australian Collins Class subs and the fiasco that came from that], and I am not sure the privatization of many facets of the services is the answer. My buddy is doing his PhD on this for Spec Ops, so we shall see where his research goes.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: August 23, 2017, 08:56:56 am »
1. My brother was telling me his wife & kids went to a memorial service for a 12 yr old girl, sister to one of the cadets they go to their cadets stuff with.  Killed herself.  12 yr old kid...decided life wasn't worth living.  Apparently they do not know why.  I'm a long way from when I was 12................why............. :-\ :(  Sad...

2. This guy's a complete douchenozzle...I hope he gets his comeuppance.  It doesn't absolve him from speeding just because he decided not to speak English.  This isn't facking Quebec FFS.  Angry...

St. Pierre Speeding Ticket Tossed

A Winnipeg lawyer has beaten a speeding ticket issued in St. Pierre last year because the officer could not communicate with him in French.

Antoine Hacault says, when he was pulled over, he spoke his first language which is French. He adds the officer responded in English and did not offer to speak French. Hacault argued under the Official Languages Act and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, police in bilingually-designated areas have an obligation to actively offer service in French.

The case was scheduled to go to court Tuesday, August 22nd but the Crown asked for a stay of proceedings, effectively throwing out the case.

RCMP say they will not respond directly to this case. But spokesperson Tara Seel says, "In general, if someone requests service in another language, we completely respect their right to do so, and we have mechanisms in place to provide that service in English and French at the scene." She adds, "With other languages, we do our very best to accommodate and locate someone who can translate." Seel says clear communication is always the goal. To that end, she says if someone has a language preference, RCMP encourage them to make that known to the officer so that arrangements can be made to receive the information in the official language of their choice.

It turns out, in the case of Hacault's speeding ticket in St. Pierre, the officer had been temporarily transferred to St. Pierre from an English-speaking community.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #7258 on: August 23, 2017, 09:09:17 am »
I am sorry, that is BS.

You are one province in a huge country, the rest of them speak English. Go ahead speak French if you want, but dont complain if the other person doesn't.

Remember, France LOST the Plains of Abraham. Although, it is as though they won sometimes...

Official languages act is complete garbage IMO. I was passed up for my perfect long-term job [Curator/Historian for Arms and Armour at the CWM] because I was not fluent enough in French...even though the job never would use French. BS.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: August 23, 2017, 09:37:46 am »
I keep getting the feeling I'm getting backed into a corner with the new job search/offer.

Essentially, I have been given the opportunity for a position in Germany. But I'd like to see the office/surroundings first, and meet the people in person. After all, this would be a permanent contract once settled.

This is also the worst possible time to try and schedule a visit, between budgets coming due and their vacations. His proposal for a visit now falls during my vacation in Oct. I will be over in Europe, but I don't really want any thoughts of work during my holiday/days off (I have enough trouble shutting off as-is). I also have no official salary or relocation details.

What's a man to do ? I feel like my work/job has completely wrecked my life the past few months and what now, let destruction and stress continue ?