Author Topic: Video Games (Let's organize some online racing!)  (Read 15404 times)

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
Video Games (Let's organize some online racing!)
« on: September 21, 2017, 04:25:44 pm »
Couldn't find a thread dedicated to this so I thought I'd start one.

Not sure if there are many gamers on here, but I've been a gamer for the longest time until about the last 5 years when my PS3 basically became a Netflix machine.  My gaming "journey" started at the Atari, NES, SNES, PS1 and I've had the PS3 for about 8-9 years.  We are planning to upgrade our home theatre over the next couple of months, and that will include the purchase of the PS4 Pro.

Fortunately or unfortunately, gaming has migrated online where one must play over the interwebz to get the best experience in most games.  However, most gamers online are ignorant bratty douchebags IMO.  So, I thought I'd poll you lot to see who here is on what console and what games people enjoy playing.

I've had some great experiences playing online, FIFA and GT5 for example.  In both cases I lucked into a group of older gamers who didn't really care if we were the best - just wanted to game and have fun.  But I've found that is rare online.  Would be cool if I could find a similar group on here!

So I'll start:

Console: PS4 (pending purchase on or before black friday  ;D)
Games:  Racing (GT Sport coming October 2018!!!!), FIFA, the Uncharted Series, action/adventure games with a good plot (e.g. heavy rain), First person shooters are ok, but I suck at them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:00:04 pm by SearhardBurger »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Video Games
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 04:30:54 pm »
XBOX 360.  The only game I play is Tiger Woods golf.  With a good friend online.  2-4 round tournaments and we tracks scores.  Basically it's an excuse to shoot the :censor:.

That said, I have been tempted by Grand Theft Auto V coming down in price.  I could lose a few months to that game.

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 04:34:08 pm »

;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 04:36:28 pm »

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 04:49:45 pm »
Just FYI: https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=92499.0

Ah :censor:, I was afraid of that.  I even posted in that thread last year!  :-[  I searched "video games" "ps3" "ps4" and a dedicated thread didn't come up.  Ah well this can act as a thread to organize some online gaming if enough people are interested.

It can be a hoot if 4-8 people get on GT at the same time.  We used to organize a "season" of sorts a few years ago.  Using Japanese Super GT cars and you'd be in a team of two drivers.  Great fun, especially since everyone was respectful and the gamers brought the team racing feel to the game. 

Here's a trailer of GT Sport:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bvFI7CinN8&t=100s
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:52:30 pm by SearhardBurger »

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 04:55:38 pm »
Haven't touched anything in about a year or so. GTA V was the last game I was into; have it on XBOX 360 and PS3, but play PS3 because online is (was?) free.
I've also got plans to re-do the home entertainment setup this fall; so PS4 is on the radar then too, it's just really hard for me to find time to dedicate to playing anything now.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 04:57:39 pm »
Haven't touched anything in about a year or so. GTA V was the last game I was into; have it on XBOX 360 and PS3, but play PS3 because online is (was?) free.
I've also got plans to re-do the home entertainment setup this fall; so PS4 is on the radar then too, it's just really hard for me to find time to dedicate to playing anything now.

I hear ya.  A buddy of mine who is married and has a 4 yr old daughter wakes up every weekend at 6 am to get in a couple of hours of gaming.  Haha

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 04:58:25 pm »
My girl wants me to get GTA V. Says she used to play it at her cousin's house. Glad the former Lady O kept in top of things.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 05:04:38 pm »
My girl wants me to get GTA V. Says she used to play it at her cousin's house. Glad the former Lady O kept in top of things.

LOL...yea, that's an R rated game damn near.  At least the version I played.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Video Games (Let's organize some online racing!)
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 05:13:50 pm »

Fortunately or unfortunately, gaming has migrated online where one must play over the interwebz to get the best experience in most games. 

Actually, I've found the opposite to be true.  The offline part is better...more campaigns, more modes, etc.  Online, not very many games have truly co-operative missions or "lifetime" or "career" type missions/game play.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 05:24:48 pm »

Fortunately or unfortunately, gaming has migrated online where one must play over the interwebz to get the best experience in most games. 

Actually, I've found the opposite to be true.  The offline part is better...more campaigns, more modes, etc.  Online, not very many games have truly co-operative missions or "lifetime" or "career" type missions/game play.

Yup, I agree with you.  However, the marketing of most games nowadays is such that you have to be online to get the most out of it.  Some games being online only for example. 

I know Far Cry had a online co-op campaign and I think maybe one of the CODs or Battlefields did too.  The latest game that seems to promote online play pretty hard is Destiny 2.  I'm not against playing online.  I'd rather just playing online with older guys (late 20s and older) rather than 16 yr olds.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 05:33:13 pm »

I buy COD, Battlefield and such for the campaign....couldn't be bothered with the online stuff. I do not have the time to invest to become even remotely proficient to not die within 5 seconds of a match starting. As for driving games, I have always wanted to get a wheel and with my new gaming setup, this might be a reason. Haven't bought a PS4 or a Xbox1 as I do not use them enough to warrant it.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 05:55:19 pm »
One of the Forza series might be fun. Horizon 3 is silly fun.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 06:19:09 pm »
I play PGA Tour and MLB most frequently.

But have played a couple with absolutely amazing story lines, rivaling the best movies/tv shows.  The Last of Us is one of those.  F E A R is another game...you became so fully immersed, that it was creepy as hell! 

For PC gaming, I still love Half-Life and the Diablo series.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 06:26:01 pm by rrocket »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 06:44:59 pm »
I'm down for Forza. I love Microsoft's strategy of buy it once and it's on your PC and Xbox One.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 08:17:54 pm »
I'm a Play Station gamer (other than the Classic NES my wife got me for Christmas) and seems we have the same tastes in games.  Love all the Gran Tourismo games and have thought about actually getting the old ones for my PS2 to replay. 

Other games I've played on my PS3 are all the Uncharted games, Fallout, and Bioshock.

I've never played a second of online gaming.  I miss the days when you had people over and game in person doing a campaign together.

I'm hoping to get a PS4 for this holiday season to play the new GT series, Fallout, and Uncharted.  I might be interested in doing some online gaming with members on here, but probably only racing as I would be a :censor: teammate with any of those first person shooters...I don't have strategy as I'm a run and gun player.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 11:27:27 am »
I'm a Play Station gamer (other than the Classic NES my wife got me for Christmas) and seems we have the same tastes in games.  Love all the Gran Tourismo games and have thought about actually getting the old ones for my PS2 to replay. 

Other games I've played on my PS3 are all the Uncharted games, Fallout, and Bioshock.

I've never played a second of online gaming.  I miss the days when you had people over and game in person doing a campaign together.

I'm hoping to get a PS4 for this holiday season to play the new GT series, Fallout, and Uncharted.  I might be interested in doing some online gaming with members on here, but probably only racing as I would be a :censor: teammate with any of those first person shooters...I don't have strategy as I'm a run and gun player.

The original Bioshock was such a fantastic game.  Just loved the universe Ken Levine and his team created.  It is amazing how games these days can feel like you are "playing" a TV show or movie, like Ron said.  Heavy Rain, and really anything by Quantic Dream is a must try imo.  Can't wait for their new Detroit game.  They could do so much with the power of the PS4.  I still haven't played The Last of Us; I intend to finish it before the sequel comes out next year.

I have yet to play any of the Fallout games, but I've only heard good things.

Johnny - our tastes do seem to align quite a bit.  I, too, loved playing local split-screen with friends/cousins when I was younger.  GT and the Socom series were my go to back then.  The number of times my buddy and I raced "our" WRX STIs around Grand Valley in the first GT was insane.  Then we'd sit and watch the replays of the race (which is my favourite part of GT).

Fob/Ron/Johnny (and any other PS gamers) - let me know if/when you do pick up GT Sport and are interested in doing some online racing.  If enough people are interested in meeting with any sort of regularity, then I'd be happy to set up a league of sorts.  I'm sure there are now ways to even have a link to the replay of the race put on here for people to watch and make fun of us.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 11:47:36 am »
There were some Forza rounds a few years ago (5 actually  :o)
I don't think I've played since then, actually.  I did get Horizon but thought it was 'meh'

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=77378.0

May have to dig the ol Xbox out and try 'er again & put to practice some of the racing lines & tips I got last week in Vegas

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 12:05:10 pm »
I don't think I've played since then, actually.  I did get Horizon but thought it was 'meh'

May have to dig the ol Xbox out and try 'er again & put to practice some of the racing lines & tips I got last week in Vegas

Ah sweet!!

Here are some pics "I took" from our GT5 league a few years ago. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41868342@N04/

My team mate and I were racing the Petronas Lexus SC430.  Man it was a fun time!

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 12:12:12 pm »

If anyone wants to lose to me at Forza again, I'm up for it  :rofl2:
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.