Author Topic: Need A New Coffee Maker  (Read 77932 times)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Re: Need A New Coffee Maker
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 11:25:35 am »
I find these single serve machines incredibly wasteful - I admit we have one at home and on occasion I do use it, but it seems ridiculous the amount of plastic is required to make a single drink. On top of that, the quality of the beverage isn't as good as you'd find when grinding and making it yourself.

I also don't drink that much coffee, but I also like the ritual of picking the beans, (ideally) grinding them, and waiting for it to brew to perfection.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2015, 11:37:48 am »
Then get ez cups system, you get your own coffee, put in as much or as little you want , brew it to the size you want
With ez cup , no waste except for the used coffee grinds and paper filter

I like using the paper filter instead of stainless steel filter because it is easier to clean, with the ss filter you spend more time washing it out with allows coffee grinds into the septic field, and coffee grinds are not good for septic systems

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2015, 01:31:27 pm »
Yeah...I find them wasteful too. You make pot of coffee period. Pour it into cups. I might try a French Squeeze since so many seem to like them.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2015, 01:49:47 pm »
Then get ez cups system, you get your own coffee, put in as much or as little you want , brew it to the size you want
With ez cup , no waste except for the used coffee grinds and paper filter

I like using the paper filter instead of stainless steel filter because it is easier to clean, with the ss filter you spend more time washing it out with allows coffee grinds into the septic field, and coffee grinds are not good for septic systems

Yeah IMO paper is fine since it is so easily degradable

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2015, 02:45:20 pm »
I was looking for our French press the other day, but it seems to have gone missing. Might have to buy another one. I like them for making coffee after dinner when we have guests over: just let it sit on the table, then pour 4-6 cups for people and it's done.

They're not so great in the morning when it's just me and my wife. I don't like to pour a couple cups and let the rest sit and get cold while waiting for round two. Instead, we've got an automatic espresso machine that makes a decent caffè crema, one cup at a time.

When I'm on the road I've got one of those single-cup Melitta cones that I use to make drip coffee right into a travel mug. Only takes a couple minutes in the morning (less time than stopping at a Starbucks or McD's) and of course it's way cheaper and tastes much better.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 02:50:36 pm »
Best coffee I've ever had was made with a $50 stove-top percolator that I use for camping.  I'm just too clumsy and impatient for caffeine on weekday mornings to use it, which is why I have a Cuisinart Keurig brewer.  It comes with a K-cup that you can use to brew your own ground coffee, and it's stored in the side panel.  Which, because I'm just too clumsy and impatient for caffeine on weekday mornings, I don't use.   ;D  But the Van Houtte House Blend K-Cups are perfect.

Brig, I ended up getting this exact one today.  I ended up picking this one since since it has the k cup that I can use my own coffee.  I'll use this one during the week and I plan on staring to use my french press for the weekends.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2015, 03:43:35 pm »
After reading this thread it got me interested in doing some FP at home. I remember see at least two in our cupboards before moving, wonder if we brought them with us. Time to go searching.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2015, 10:27:41 pm »
I think that I've quickly figured out that I'm not a single cup type of coffee guy at all?  Anyone wanna buy a new Cuisinart at a great price?   ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2015, 10:28:02 pm »
I think that I've quickly figured out that I'm not a single cup type of coffee guy at all?  Anyone wanna buy a new Cuisinart at a great price?   ;D

Why is that?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2015, 10:32:52 pm »

Why is that?

Two reasons, the quality of the coffee is by far inferior to my previous KitchenAid.  I'm also using the same coffee, so I know it's the machine.  Also, I'm finding it a pain to brew one cup at a time as opposed to a few.  Just not a fan and I'm back to doing some research on another coffee maker. 

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2015, 10:35:51 pm »
Plus, with this machine I really can't adjust how strong the coffee is.  I like really really strong coffee, and I can only put so much grind in this small k cup.  My bad, I should of known this going in I guess.   :-\

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2015, 10:38:02 pm »
Plus, with this machine I really can't adjust how strong the coffee is.  I like really really strong coffee, and I can only put so much grind in this small k cup.  My bad, I should of known this going in I guess.   :-\

Huh...there's no strength adjustment?  Even the Tassimo has that.

Anyways...there's another "coffee guy" at work who's taking his turn on nights.  I just walked down and asked.  He said BonaVita for him.  Though he also mentioned "Technoverm is you have the extra money"

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2015, 10:43:40 pm »
Nope, no strength adjustment.  I have this small k cup that I can fill my own grinds with, but even once it's full it is too weak for my liking.  I'm not sure what Bonavita is but I'll certainly check it out.  Thanks man!

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Need A New Coffee Maker
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2015, 04:39:28 am »
Yes, those single cup things aren't the be all and end all.  They're convenient for, say, an office, but I'd never have one for home.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2015, 06:38:07 am »
Nope, no strength adjustment.  I have this small k cup that I can fill my own grinds with, but even once it's full it is too weak for my liking.  I'm not sure what Bonavita is but I'll certainly check it out.  Thanks man!
Try using less water , that will make a strong coffee

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2015, 08:36:27 am »
Interesting that coffee is 98% water but the water quality is seldom mentioned. Most people find that when 20% of soluble solids are extracted from the coffee grounds, the brew has the best flavors.

Good coffee brewing is as much of a science as it is an art. There is more to good coffee than just the machine or equipment used.

Good water (De-Chlorinated but not distilled, need some minerals)
Coffee Quality (Clue here, better quality coffee's are never dark roasted)
Coffee-to-water ratio
Coffee particle size a.k.a. grind
The Water Temperature 198F-203F
Contact time \ Agitation - how fast water passes through grind
Oxidation - drink coffee within 20min after brewing for best taste
Cleanliness of brewing equipment - clean from coffee residue and any cleansers

I use some cream but only in med-dark roasts. I have switched to cream without sodium phosphate or carrageenan. Hewitts is one Ontario brand.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:21:36 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2015, 09:10:36 am »
Tried the AreoPress? Was thinking of getting one of those instead of the French Press.

Go with a French Press.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2015, 09:17:54 am »
Tried the AreoPress? Was thinking of getting one of those instead of the French Press.

Go with a French Press.

Sold my Aeropress, to many parts for me. Easier to use a Clever coffee dripper or Coffee brew buddy for single cups. Very easy clean up vs press.

http://www.eightouncecoffee.ca/index.cfm/product/83/clever-coffee-dripper.cfm

http://primulaproducts.com/coffeeware/coffee-makers/coffee-brew-buddy.html

On the weekends I roll out my stove top espresso maker a.k.a. Moka Pot and rock out the best americano's money can buy. (I maybe biased)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:31:29 pm by redman »

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
    • www.clownpenis.fart
  • Cars: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2015, 01:36:04 pm »
You definitely don't get the best coffee with a Keurig. However, some of the brands now are pretty decent. With two young kids it is a life saver. The self fill cup is brutal....just as much work as making a regular brew but can't adjust strong (I also like strong).

When I have time again I'm going to buy a full expresso machine.....the grinds stores and brews. Evil Twin has like the perfect one at his cottage....Dav's cottage too....can't remember the name

It's a Saeco Odea Giro Plus.  I have the newer version of it at home too. https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/saeco-odea-giro-espresso-machine-with-optidose-ii)

It's great for espresso/cappuccino/latte and makes an OK americano when I'm in a rush.  We still use a regular drip machine often when we need a pot, but having a double espresso ready at the push of a button keeps me going through the weekend.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2015, 01:40:31 pm »
This built-in Miele that a friend of mine has in his new summer home ( :P) made the best coffee I've ever had out of a machine.  Once we figured out how to use it.  :)  I've been using a cheap french press that I bought a few months ago after my percolator finally conked out and it works great although a bit of a pain to clean.

Wow, that's some rig.

Just looking at it, makes me want to talk to it:

"Kenya AA Brown Roast, Hot"   :rofl2: :rofl2:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"