Author Topic: Skis and Snowboards  (Read 483075 times)

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Skis and Snowboards
« on: February 19, 2014, 04:01:35 pm »
So what's everyone riding on these days? I got rid of my old straight boards a few years ago, tried a cheap pair of 10 year old shaped and didn't feel much difference (on the hard snow of the local hills, anyway).

Now the season is winding down and stuff is on sale, what should I go for? The widths and styles available now are bewildering.

Generally do tight technical turns on hard snow, but do go to the mountains occasionally.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:25:13 am by PJungnitsch »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: Skis
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:54:56 pm »
You are right, skis have changed a lot in the last few years and the technique to ski them as well. I'm personally a big fan of Fischer Skis and I have 3 pairs. I ski about 45 days/season.

1- Narrow underfoot (73mm) and stiff to hook up on ice and on hard snow. (Fischer Progressors C-Line 10+)
2- Wide (110 mm) for powder days. (Fischer Big Stix 110)
3- Intermediate 84 mm for days in between, travelling when you do not know the conditions you are going to get, etc. (Fischer Motive C-Line 84)

For carving on hard snow Fischer Progressor's 700 or 800 would do very well, (Not sure on your skill level)

If you want something a little more "All mountain" then the Motive's are very good, good hook up on hard snow and still pretty good in all conditions. Motive 76, 80 or 86 would do.

Another nice line from Fischer is the Watea line, available in a multitude of width. These are more bias toward soft snow. Still pretty good on the hard snow but more at home in fresh snow. Watea 84 or 88 ski quite well both on groomed or un-groomed runs.

When you start shopping, let me know what the shops show you and I will let you know what I think.

Happy shopping!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:53:57 pm by Guy »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Skis
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 05:10:45 pm »
I've got tons of skis, but except for one pair, they're all mounted with DynaFit backcountry bindings, so my choices are biased severely away from the resort 

My ultralight skinny ski is the K2 Wayback. 88mm underfoot with carbon in the tips and tail mean it can edge well on ice or hardpack but still has a tip rocker for powder.

My "go-to" ski is the G3 Manhattan. 108mm underfoot with huge shovel and tons of tip rocker make it awesome in powder. But it's got just enough camber to edge if I need it. Even ski it sometimes on groomers.

Black Diamond MegaWatts are for slack country skiing. Heavy 125 underfoot beasts but slay powder like a chainsaw through butter.

Yuro weenies are always quick to point out that even my light skis are on the heavy side, meaning they ski better down but are tougher on the skin up. I just respond "train harder."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 05:29:44 pm »
GS race skis with plenty of sidecut are what I love: laying down clean arcs at speed on hard snow is like a religious experience for me. I've got an old pair of Atomic BetaRace 10:22s (188 cm, 22m radius) that I'll probably be getting rid of now that I've got a newer pair of Nordica Dobermanns (182cm, 19.5m) and Blizzard GS Women's FIS (182cm, 25m)

But powder is okay, too, so for those days that the groomers are too soft (damn fresh snow!  >:( ) I've got an old pair of Atomic R:EXs. They're around 90mm underfoot (which seemed like a lot, back in the day), and are burly as hell for plowing through crud, deep pow and whatever at high speed. I probably bought them a little too long at 193cm, so they're really more suited for ripping huge lines up in the Chugach or something. If they have a top end, I've never found it.

I got a promo video from Nordica in my email a while ago. Kind of got me thinking it's time to replace the old Atomic R:EXs with something more modern (but still suited to tearing up the groomers  ;) ). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fCXiaGOAuU

Edit: This gives me goosebumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga-6wy0Nboo . Can't wait to watch the Olympic GS later!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:45:52 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 06:41:56 pm »
GS race skis with plenty of sidecut are what I love: laying down clean arcs at speed on hard snow is like a religious experience for me. I've got an old pair of Atomic BetaRace 10:22s (188 cm, 22m radius) that I'll probably be getting rid of now that I've got a newer pair of Nordica Dobermanns (182cm, 19.5m) and Blizzard GS Women's FIS (182cm, 25m)

But powder is okay, too, so for those days that the groomers are too soft (damn fresh snow!  >:( ) I've got an old pair of Atomic R:EXs. They're around 90mm underfoot (which seemed like a lot, back in the day), and are burly as hell for plowing through crud, deep pow and whatever at high speed. I probably bought them a little too long at 193cm, so they're really more suited for ripping huge lines up in the Chugach or something. If they have a top end, I've never found it.

I got a promo video from Nordica in my email a while ago. Kind of got me thinking it's time to replace the old Atomic R:EXs with something more modern (but still suited to tearing up the groomers  ;) ). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fCXiaGOAuU

Edit: This gives me goosebumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga-6wy0Nboo . Can't wait to watch the Olympic GS later!

I used to have a pair of 10:26's a long time ago, I was younger too! :)

Fantastic video of Ted Ligety, thanks for sharing!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 06:49:28 pm »

That's really an amazing video... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 08:00:38 pm »

That's really an amazing video... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Very cool indeed!

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 01:09:27 pm »
Sport Chek has pretty good prices on a few 80mm all mountain skis:

K2 Amp Rictor
K2 Amp Impact (no metal, less stiff version of Rictor)
Salomon Enduro RXT 800

All just over $300 w/bindings

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 01:16:25 pm »
I'd love to help, but know absolutely nothing about new skis, so you're on your own.  ;)

I've been trying to get my wife back into skiing and am thinking I need to get her a new pair as well, but I hardly know where to start. One thing I've noticed is that most if the women-specific skis have ridiculously girly graphics, which I know she would hate. Guess she'll be getting a men's ski.  For that matter, most of the men's skis (that aren't race skis) have ridiculous graphics now, too. Or maybe I'm just old.  :-\

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 01:38:36 pm »
I see Lake Louise has a demo day on Saturday, that would help a lot but I can't get to it. You might find it useful though.

If she is starting out LevelNineSports has some pretty good deals on skis and ships to Canada. I'm debating on ordering a cheap pair and bolting on some bindings I have. My GF doesn't ski and is afraid of heights so a lot of skiing is unlikely to be in my future.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 01:42:32 pm »
Sport Chek has pretty good prices on a few 80mm all mountain skis:

K2 Amp Rictor
K2 Amp Impact (no metal, less stiff version of Rictor)
Salomon Enduro RXT 800

All just over $300 w/bindings

The deal on the K2 AMP Rictor has been around for a while.   I looked into it for a friend and the AMP Rictor gets really good reviews.  A good all mountain ski with a hard-snow bias.  If you are over 170 lbs and a strong intermediate into advanced (who likes speed) they would likely suit you.  If you are lighter or less aggressive go with the Impact.  I don't know much about the Salomon.   IMO, a ski around 80mm - 85mm is ideal for someone who usually skis groomers but occasionally sees deeper snow.

HeliDriver, look at the new Women's Blizzards that are coming out next year.  They have nailed the graphics for the women.

I'm on a pair of Dynastar 8000's in a 178.  With the two layers of metal and 20m turn radius they need some speed to rail turns.  But they are a classic design that do everything well and never put a foot wrong.  That said, they have a ton of days on them and aren't nearly as poppy as they used to be so I'm starting to look for something new.

Since I ski mostly hard snow, something in the mid 70's to low 80's in the waist is what I'm considering.  But first I have to wait until the kids are out of daycare (since that costs the equivalent of a new pair of skis every two weeks).

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 01:59:09 pm »
For the love of my sanity, do not get the K2s!

I just got back from Whistler and demo-ed all 3 versions and hated them all.  They're kind of equivalent to electronic steering - vague at best and offered no feedback.  I could not hold them on edge, and I am an ex-racer.

My current rides are Blizzard G-Force Supersonic IQs (167cm; 123/72/105) - they are truly amazing skis, but are not particularly forgiving.  Make sure you have good boots.

Of all the skis I demo-ed at Whistler, I really liked the Head iSupershape Titans (163cm 132/79/110).  Really liked them, actually.  They just powered through the crud and were slightly more forgiving than mine.  I would buy them if I didn't just buy mine.

Unless you live somewhere with true pow (like Whistler...or Utah), stay away from the Fatties (100+mm waists).  They don't handle groomers well at all, nor are they meant to.  All mountain skis above 80cm really start to lose their ability to hold edges well, so I'd say the upper end of the 70s are best for your skiing.

Try the Heads.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 02:03:02 pm »
What K2's specifically did you ski?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 02:59:15 pm »
I see Lake Louise has a demo day on Saturday

We're staying at LL, and skiing backcountry in the area this weekend.  Headed into Yoho to seek some fresh tracks.  Bummer is the storm last weekend hasn't bonded well, and so avy hazard is still "considerable."  We'll be playing in the trees...

As for K2, they have a rep for noodly skis, but I wonder about the newest ones.  Though they're not resort skis, my latest K2s have been fortified with carbon fiber and are much stiffer than I expected.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 03:05:38 pm »
What K2's specifically did you ski?

Tried 3:
1) Amp Rictor 82XTI
2) Amp Velocity
3) Amp Charger

I found the 82 XTI to be the worst of the bunch, to be honest, and velocity best (though still not great).

Rounded tails, rocker, and lack of a discernible sidewall tend to be bad traits for technical turns on hard snow.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 03:07:27 pm »
As for K2, they have a rep for noodly skis, but I wonder about the newest ones.  Though they're not resort skis, my latest K2s have been fortified with carbon fiber and are much stiffer than I expected.
They're not 'noodly' any more (well, the 80 XTIs were), but they're just vague and definitely don't hold an edge all that well.  I think the rocker profiles are a bit too pronounced and the tail can't hold the curve.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 03:59:07 pm »
Hmm, slalom skis. That is pretty much what I do. Heads seem rare and expensive around here.

How about Salomon X Kart or Rossignol Pursuit? Both going for the low 400's at the moment w/bindings

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 04:00:15 pm »
I see Lake Louise has a demo day on Saturday, that would help a lot but I can't get to it. You might find it useful though.

If she is starting out LevelNineSports has some pretty good deals on skis and ships to Canada. I'm debating on ordering a cheap pair and bolting on some bindings I have. My GF doesn't ski and is afraid of heights so a lot of skiing is unlikely to be in my future.

I'm out of town, so won't be making it to Louise this weekend. Demo day would be fun, though.

My wife is actually a really good skier. Used to race as a kid and was pretty good, but had to quit because her folks just didn't have the money to continue. Kind of sad, as she's really strong and has lots of natural talent.

We used to ski together all the time, then she started working Monday-Friday and we both hate going to the resorts on weekends (way too crowded) so we quit. My schedule is more flexible, so I still get to go mid-week, but she gave it up for x-country instead. She's got Mondays off now, so it might be fun to get back into it together.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:11:48 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 04:01:50 pm »
My unsubstantiated bias against Salomon says go for the Rossignols.

Slalom skis would be a ton of fun if all you want to do is slalom turns.  Not the most versatile skis.

NoTo:   how was the tune on the demo skis you had?  I'm really surprised that the non metal intermediate skis had the best grip.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:07:13 pm by tortoise »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 02:13:31 pm »
My unsubstantiated bias against Salomon says go for the Rossignols.

Slalom skis would be a ton of fun if all you want to do is slalom turns.  Not the most versatile skis.

NoTo:   how was the tune on the demo skis you had?  I'm really surprised that the non metal intermediate skis had the best grip.

It surprised me too - they were all fresh tuned (well?  who knows...but they were fresh off the machines).

To be fair, I didn't test them in hard-packed conditions...even the groomers had some crud on them, but I've never had my downhill ski actually come out from under me like the K2s did.

Review of the Rossis:
http://www.skis.com/Rossignol-Pursuit-HP-Skis-with-Axial-2-140-Ti-Bindings-2014/274550P,default,pd.html

And SkiCanada Mag said:
SALOMON 24 X-KART

$1129†
LENGTHS AVAILABLE: 150, 157, 164, 171*
122/72/107 13.6 @ 171
BEST IN: SHORT RADIUS, AGILITY | AVERAGE SCORE: 8.0
A 7.7   C 7.3   S 5.5   W 5.7

MEN – This is a ski that’s more likely to be seen on local runs and racecourses than the World Cup circuit. That’s not a bad thing, especially if you listen to our testers. The consensus was that the easiest place to find this ski would be on the podium of your weekly Masters race. There was a lot of praise for its versatility: from short turns to long, it did it all. Big Boy Erin Keam said it never felt skittish but had lots of “Kapow! ”—tester speak for a really fun ski.