Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Lexus ES300h; Day 1  (Read 8672 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Lexus ES300h; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 10:30:09 am »
I'm not planning to retire any time soon but I"d love to have the ES as my daily driver.
Just because the car isn't sporty doesn't make it a retiree car.
My commute is 75km per day in heavy bumper to bumper traffic. So early in the morning when I'm still "waking up" and after a full work day when I'm tired, a nice quiet cushy pampered ride home is all I really want before my kids drain me of whatever energy I have left. Nothing to do with retirement.
agreed...while i don't have kids, a busy day at work can be balanced with a nice drive to/from in a car that comforts you and helps you ignore the traffic, other idiots on the road and the stresses of day to day life.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 11:26:17 am »
I'm not planning to retire any time soon but I"d love to have the ES as my daily driver.
My commute is 75km per day in heavy bumper to bumper traffic. So early in the morning when I'm still "waking up" and after a full work day when I'm tired, a nice quiet cushy pampered ride home is all I really want before my kids drain me of whatever energy I have left. Nothing to do with retirement.
agreed...while i don't have kids, a busy day at work can be balanced with a nice drive to/from in a car that comforts you and helps you ignore the traffic, other idiots on the road and the stresses of day to day life.
Agree with these sentiments completely. I used to love driving my Volvo for that reason. Sure it wasn't the sportiest but for 95% of my driving it was better suited. Best if you can afford a toy separately.

Plus as you say jeffer it helps to relieve stress in traffic. That's always a good thing. You see way too many people overstressed in traffic and if they feel like they have to race to make use of their machine that is never a good thing.

Look at Northernridge, even contemplating an LS. Now that'll calm him down compared to the agressive German hardware. I bet an LS even lowers your blood pressure.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 12:11:14 pm »
Agree with these sentiments completely. I used to love driving my Volvo for that reason. Sure it wasn't the sportiest but for 95% of my driving it was better suited. Best if you can afford a toy separately.
Bingo! I bet if one can part with $50k to buy a lux car, they should be able to scramble another $15 on a nicely maintained S2k so the latter would more than compensate for lack of "sportiness" in the former.  Or buy a 600+cc bike - supercar performace for under 10k

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 08:04:21 pm »
Bingo! I bet if one can part with $50k to buy a lux car, they should be able to scramble another $15 on a nicely maintained S2k so the latter would more than compensate for lack of "sportiness" in the former.  Or buy a 600+cc bike - supercar performace for under 10k
my thoughts exactly. Until my ship comes in, my bike ($5k when I bought it 2 yrs old, with 10,000 km) can do 0-60 in 3.5 sec (though not with me at the controls) and after a blast on that pretty much any car feels lame. When my ship comes in, maybe one of these ES's or similar plus a BRZ in the garage (hey, I'm not waiting for a big ship) or a used Cayman/Boxster. I drive a good all round car, and if it's your only car that's great but if you have the option of two, why compromise so much? Although I'm still compromised, the wife bought her dream machine and I'm stuck with the all rounder. She gets her dream drive and I get to drive the wagon and whine on auto forums. Not expecting sympathy...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 09:31:47 am »
Tis car cements my appreciation for Toyota as a leader without competition in the whole line of hybrid vehicles from Prius C to ES300h and even more high end Lexus products. Great pioneering job without equivalent from other manufacturer in terms sold cars throghout the years, other word...tradition!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 10:55:24 pm »
When I picked up the Lexus last week I was surprised by how quiet it was.  But I had been driving our yaris.

I picked up a full jam Santa fe today and it really hit home how awesome the es is.  In a few weeks I get a GS again hopefully I can remember to compare.

Things like the climate control.  On the es at full speed you still can't hear it where as normal cars boat so loud you can't hear the radio.  The ES didn't make a sound on the highway it is truly a silent machine.

I want one...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 01:14:42 pm »
When I picked up the Lexus last week I was surprised by how quiet it was.  But I had been driving our yaris.

I picked up a full jam Santa fe today and it really hit home how awesome the es is.  In a few weeks I get a GS again hopefully I can remember to compare.

Things like the climate control.  On the es at full speed you still can't hear it where as normal cars boat so loud you can't hear the radio.  The ES didn't make a sound on the highway it is truly a silent machine.

I want one...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Very interesting! What's your take on this vs. the new Avalon?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 01:48:03 pm »
Very interesting! What's your take on this vs. the new Avalon?
Second that. James, are you taking the new Avalon for a spin anytime soon?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 01:56:38 pm »
Not that I am aware of.  I'm booked up till Feb no Avalon in sight.  Would be interesting, I did like the Avalon last time I drove it.

Offline ecidloc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mitsubishi RVR
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 07:33:56 pm »
The Lexus is clearly a Japanese Buick/Oldsmobile, sounds like a perfect retiree car.

Not that it is intend to be a car for retirees, but it certainly suit many of them well. My dad is in the 60s and he just bought a ES300h last month upon his retirement.  He has been driving german cars for many years so I first suggested him to go for the new BMW-3s. He went to the BMW dealer many times but eventually chose conformt/reliability over driving enthusiasm.  After all, he said he just feel tired of keep taking the car back to the shop for minor repairs.  I myself still prefer a BMW, but later when I looked at this Lexus myself and I was also convinced that he made a good choice, smooth and refined powertrain, extremely detailed interior and superior ride comfort, I think this car just makes perfect sense to a lot of people.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:41:42 pm by ecidloc »