Author Topic: Electric Vehicle News Thread  (Read 734044 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Electric Vehicle News Thread
« Reply #5180 on: April 16, 2024, 08:08:19 am »

I drove a Tesla Model Y last week. Full disclosure, I am on a waitlist for a Prius Prime.

We have a 2017 Hyundai Ioniq which is a great commuter if you're looking for a Prius level of vehicle.
Paid $17K used.   Fantastic cheap and cheery car for 100 km daily commute.

Model Y is a big big step up from a Prius in terms of performance, tech, storage, towing capacity.  Personally, I wouldn't even consider the Model Y, we have a Model S which we love, but I'm not into driving what everyone else is driving.  Owned Smart Electric, Ioniq, Model S and now Ford F150 Lightning, all of which are rare on the roads.

I barely leave the house & every time I do, I see an F150 Lightning here in Ottawa... not sure what you're going on about it being rare :think:  Model S is more rare here, Model 3, everywhere :hurl: had one chasing me onto the hwy a while back... kept up with my SLK, quick, but certainly no symphony of a NA hand-built V8. And the Ioniq's are all over the place too. What was insane was a modified Jeep Trackhawk, he was getting on the same onramp early one morning & the hwy was empty, he slowed down so I was right on his bumper with the SLK & then he let it eat, it squatted down & took off... I didn't even TRY to keep up, wasn't gonna happen.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Whenever I see a fast, V8 (or more) powered car in front of me on a ramp or at a light, I open my window a little bit, in case they decide to goose it, and I can revel in the symphony that they create.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: April 16, 2024, 09:29:32 pm »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #5183 on: April 17, 2024, 10:59:58 am »
Neighbourette got her Model Y last week, a base rwd with the blue paint being the only option (only grey is no-cost). Haven't checked if theirs came from China or the US, but driving past the Tesla store last week their lot was FULL of inventory - lots of the new-improved Model 3 around. So far they like how it drives, but complain about the complexity of the learning curve with all the tech.

Meanwhile, a new Impreza RS appeared in the 'hood, first new gasser I've seen in months.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: April 17, 2024, 12:03:40 pm »
Neighbourette got her Model Y last week, a base rwd with the blue paint being the only option (only grey is no-cost). Haven't checked if theirs came from China or the US, but driving past the Tesla store last week their lot was FULL of inventory - lots of the new-improved Model 3 around. So far they like how it drives, but complain about the complexity of the learning curve with all the tech.

Meanwhile, a new Impreza RS appeared in the 'hood, first new gasser I've seen in months.

The Tesla sales centre I was at last week was plum full of inventory. I don't think they are selling that well.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: April 17, 2024, 03:00:21 pm »

The Tesla sales centre I was at last week was plum full of inventory. I don't think they are selling that well.
They laid off 10 percent of their workforce...including China!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #5186 on: April 17, 2024, 03:13:26 pm »
The dawning of wisdom, this time by the Jeep CEO:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a60524532/jeep-recon-wagoneer-s-ev-possible-gas-models-report/

Jeep's first EV, the Wagoneer S, is coming this fall, with the American SUV brand revealing images of the sleek crossover earlier this year and teasing details like a 600-hp all-wheel-drive powertrain. The Wagoneer S was originally unveiled alongside a boxy, off-road-focused EV called the Recon, also due next year. But according to Automotive News, the two electric Jeeps might also end up being offered with internal-combustion engines.  :rofl2:

The publication recently spoke with Jeep's CEO Antonio Filosa regarding the company's flagging sales. Among the possible solutions, Filosa suggested that Jeep could add gas-powered versions of the Recon and Wagoneer S to help boost sales volumes. If the company sees opportunities to profit with internal-combustion powertrains in either car, "we need to grab them or somebody else will, :rofl2:" Filosa said.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: April 17, 2024, 03:18:03 pm »

They laid off 10 percent of their workforce...including China!

The EV market overall is slowing down quite a bit from what I have been reading.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: April 19, 2024, 11:48:31 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdglKOP8zeE

12 new not so cheap electric trucks from China. This should really be happening here affordable pick-ups. No idea what the quality would be like.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: April 20, 2024, 02:36:39 am »

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: April 21, 2024, 02:12:39 pm »
They want to move some metal (lease deal)  .. https://www.polestar.com/en-ca/offers/new/polestar-2-2024-lrdm-lease/
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: April 21, 2024, 07:15:01 pm »
They want to move some metal (lease deal)  .. https://www.polestar.com/en-ca/offers/new/polestar-2-2024-lrdm-lease/

$299/mo, $5100 for one year commitment, that's really compelling for those spending $200/mo on gas for their commutes!!

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1160
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #5194 on: April 21, 2024, 07:57:28 pm »

Yup and this guy in Trois Rivières seems to ha acquired Polestar previous demo’s, he has quite a few at a good price, many with less than 10K km.

https://www.gervaisauto.com/en/used-inventory/polestar
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 08:01:04 pm by Guy »

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #5195 on: April 22, 2024, 11:21:21 am »
Yay!! A few more billions of our tax dollars will be sprayed chasing the EV dream:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/honda-to-build-electric-vehicles-and-battery-plant-in-ontario-sources-1.6856693#:~:text=The%20Honda%20facility%20will%20be,United%20States'%20Inflation%20Reduction%20Act

Honda Canada is set to build an electric vehicle battery plant near its auto manufacturing facility in Alliston, Ont., where it also plans to produce fully electric vehicles.

The Canadian Press has learned that the federal and Ontario governments will make the announcement this week.

Senior sources with information on the project confirmed the deal but were not yet able to give any dollar figures.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford this morning told a First Nations conference that there will be an announcement this week about a new deal that he said will be double the size of a Volkswagen deal announced last year.

Double the size of the Volkswagen deal!! Does that translate to double the amount of subsidies?

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1160
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #5196 on: April 22, 2024, 08:36:06 pm »
Let me just drop this here.. ;)

https://electrek.co/2024/04/22/tesla-lowest-maintenance-repair-cost-any-brand/

When comparing cumulative costs by brand for years one through five and six through 10, we found that Tesla had the lowest maintenance costs. At the opposite end of the rankings, several German automakers are clustered as the most expensive brands, namely Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #5197 on: April 22, 2024, 09:38:07 pm »
Although not surprising, it’s good news, as in that the future of autos has lower costs to repair and maintain. The differential should only move more favourable for electrics once some of the mainstream automakers go full electric and the technology matures.

Interesting that for years 6-10 the gap between Tesla and Toyota tightens up. And look at Ford and GM. Good numbers. Buick neck and neck with Toyota over 10 years.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 09:44:20 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #5198 on: April 22, 2024, 09:41:13 pm »
Maintenance may be a bit better, but not enough to make total cost of ownership better

Online revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #5199 on: April 22, 2024, 10:52:35 pm »
Maintenance may be a bit better, but not enough to make total cost of ownership better

The ever declining resale value is also a concern.