Author Topic: Vacations 2024  (Read 8077 times)

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
Re: Vacations 2024
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2024, 10:00:45 pm »
Booked our 2 week vacay in Japan this summer. Wife and I lived there from 2005 - 07 and this will be our first time back :o. It will be my son's first time there. We're all super excited!
I’m going there next week for 2 weeks. First time for us. Found a nice hotel with 2 rooms, full kitchen and also in suite laundry.
Japan is definitely unique. Some of the most technological stuff there but many still prefer a cash system (mostly due to the market crash in the 90s where tons of people lost money in financial institutions).

You have cutting edge buildings right next to centuries old temples and shrines.

Some of the busiest cities on Earth, but also very remote areas to hike in the mountains and forests.

It's been 17 years. We've planned trips back before but something always came up. The last time was the pandemic in 2020. We had planned to go in the Spring for Golden Week and to catch the cherry blossoms but we all know how that ended up.

rrocket, I'll send you a pm

Anyway, can't wait to go. We've reached out to friends we had there and they're looking forward to meeting up too.
Something new and fun in Japan! LOL [emoji38]

https://jalopnik.com/toyota-turned-a-boring-ev-into-a-real-life-catbus-from-1851312923
That is on my to do list in the next 2 weeks.
I thought you'd like that one.
Thanks for sharing.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2024, 07:43:25 pm »
Phoenix in April is too expensive for the likes of me.

Was reminded the April week I was hoping to visit Phoenix for the NHRA race was also NCAA week.  That would explain the outrageous prices.

I'll be staying in a friend's condo he advertises on Vrbo.  Looks like a nice place, a 30 minute walk to Papago Park and the Hole in the Rock.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2024, 11:26:27 am »

Was reminded the April week I was hoping to visit Phoenix for the NHRA race was also NCAA week.  That would explain the outrageous prices.

I'll be staying in a friend's condo he advertises on Vrbo.  Looks like a nice place, a 30 minute walk to Papago Park and the Hole in the Rock.

A 30 min walk in Phoenix? In June?  :rofl2:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2024, 11:29:13 am »

I'll start at sunrise.  Temp should be around 80.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2024, 11:30:05 am »

Uber home.   ;)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2024, 11:39:39 am »

Uber home.   ;)

Good idea.  I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid. 

I've been to Arizona in July and August.  I restrict my outdoor activities to morning and evening.  Getting into a pool after sunset feels amazing and therapeutic.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2024, 02:24:44 pm »

Uber home.   ;)

Good idea.  I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid. 

I've been to Arizona in July and August.  I restrict my outdoor activities to morning and evening.  Getting into a pool after sunset feels amazing and therapeutic.

A grizzled veteran! Too much heat for me. I drove through the desert in the early nineties in a Toyota truck with no air conditioning and even at night the air felt like a blast furnace, I think it scarred me for life.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2024, 04:49:39 pm »
Some pictures from the trip we took a couple of weeks ago to Dominican Republic.  The resort was called Catalonia Royal Bavaro, it’s all inclusive and adults only.  This was our first time to DM and it was decent.  The food was a little bit worse than Mexico but certainly not bad.  I think the highlight was the chicken wings at the beach grill and the dessert cart at the Mediterranean restaurant.

When we first arrived none of our rooms were ready which was fine as it was early afternoon and we wanted lunch first anyway.  When that was done we were all upgraded to one bedroom private villas with our own pools.  The two other couples ended up with their original rooms the next day but we got upgraded for the week.  Which was ideal because all of us used our private pool and patio area all week, had we all had private pools 2 would never be used as they all seem to gather wherever me and my wife are.

The beach and pool areas were really nice.  It’s a smaller resort which we all prefer as you are always close to anywhere you want to be. 

The ocean had some seaweed but it was more just large blades of grass than clumps of stuff like Mexico.  The sea grass on the floor of the ocean was easy to spot and avoid, not that it was bad to walk any anyway.  This section of the ocean was incredibly shallow for a long ways out.  I talked to a kit surfer who said even two kms out there is coral just below the surface.  Which meant waves were small as they all broke further out to see.  There was a floating barrier all around the two resorts (adults and family side), with netting below that kept some of the seaweed and sea life away.  But there is this ally that you can see in my pictures that goes beyond the floating barrier that is all sand that leads out to this nice sand bar area that was about waist deep.

Had a cigar and some cheap scotch on the patio one afternoon which was nice.  Overall was a great trip and by far the best traveling, every flight was either on time or early, and no big lines or long distances to travel at any of the airports.  Flew from Fredericton to Montreal and down to Punta Cana and back, which Air Canada.

We would go back but only for how much we paid.  Full price for this resort (especially the villas) is just crazy.  We definitely prefer Mexico but DM is definitely worth visiting.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2024, 05:13:59 pm »
I like Mexico and DM about the same been to both many times.. in the DM like the Riu Palce and Barcelo Bavaro Palce both adults only, next trip to DM going to try Secerts
Pic is the beach at Barcelo..

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2024, 05:23:38 pm »
I like Mexico and DM about the same been to both many times.. in the DM like the Riu Palce and Barcelo Bavaro Palce both adults only, next trip to DM going to try Secerts
Pic is the beach at Barcelo..

I think our favourite “chain” of all inclusive resorts are the Excellence properties.  I would highly recommend them, just so many little touches that add up to an amazing resort.  Only been to the one in Cancun Riviera and it was 2017, but it’s the standard that no other resort has been able to touch.  Little things like bags of chips in the room, endless beach towels everywhere outside by pools and beach, something like 10 different kinds of beer to try, more covered loungers than people, seemingly endless floating loungers, top shelf liquor, smaller and easier to navigate.  But definitely not a “party” resort and the average age of 60+ with very few people in their 20’s or younger.  Plus everything kind of shuts down around 10pm and only the sports bar having evening entertainment and dancing.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2024, 05:36:20 pm »
sounds much like Secrets which is our go to , will have to give them a try

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2024, 06:58:33 pm »
That looks pretty awesome to me!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2024, 09:53:23 pm »
Yep, looks and sounds like a great time. Nice pics too.  :cheers:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2024, 12:05:09 pm »
Flying to the UK this Sunday. A week on foot in London, then another week driving out of town on the wrong side of the road shifting with my left paw for the very first time  :drive2:
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2024, 01:32:41 pm »
The first few days on foot are the most dangerous  :D

The closest I came to dying in Africa wasn't from crocodiles/hippos/bandits/etc, it was when I stepped in front of an impatient middle aged South African woman in a Mercedes SUV in Capetown. Looked the wrong way and stepped out right in front of her

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2024, 01:37:14 pm »
The first few days on foot are the most dangerous  :D

The closest I came to dying in Africa wasn't from crocodiles/hippos/bandits/etc, it was when I stepped in front of an impatient middle aged South African woman in a Mercedes SUV in Capetown. Looked the wrong way and stepped out right in front of her

Yup, will be resetting automated reflexes those first few days!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2024, 05:18:50 pm »
You know Mexico has excellent food, you just don't get it at a resort.   ;D  When we go to Mexico it is generally PV (Puerto Vallarta) and we stay in town (either a condo or boutique hotel). 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #157 on: April 20, 2024, 11:44:23 am »
You know Mexico has excellent food, you just don't get it at a resort.   ;D  When we go to Mexico it is generally PV (Puerto Vallarta) and we stay in town (either a condo or boutique hotel).

That's the way to do it IMO.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 20, 2024, 04:45:17 pm »

I disagree.  If you pick the right resort the food can be very good.  If we were staying for longer than 2 weeks it might make sense to do the rent a condo and do the whole restaurant/cook at home thing.  But for a week or two if you find the right resort it can be a great experience.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #159 on: April 20, 2024, 07:46:51 pm »

I disagree.  If you pick the right resort the food can be very good.  If we were staying for longer than 2 weeks it might make sense to do the rent a condo and do the whole restaurant/cook at home thing.  But for a week or two if you find the right resort it can be a great experience.

No matter how good the food on a resort is, there's no escaping that it is relatively mass produced, and intended to appeal to as many people as possible. You're not going to get an authentic, local experience there. IMO.