Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Buick Verano; Day 1  (Read 13463 times)

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Buick Verano; Day 1
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2012, 12:07:09 pm »
I saw a silver Verano the other day. Very nice. Driven by an Asian guy, I wonder if he's mainland Chinese.

??? ???

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2012, 12:10:11 pm »
Buick is VERY popular in China, so I'm wondering if immigrant mainland Chinese in Canada could help with Buick's sales.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 12:18:11 pm »
Buick is VERY popular in China, so I'm wondering if immigrant mainland Chinese in Canada could help with Buick's sales.

i dunno, all the asian dudes with hair products or cardigans seem to be driving lexus/bmw/benz around here.  without the hair products, honda/toyotas. 

i can't tell who's from mainland or otherwise anymore either..    ;)  i must be becoming too assimilated with the "all you asians look alike" thinking, even though i'm asian descent.   :rofl: 

in my defense, i think everybody look the same, unless i pay attention to whom i'm meeting anyway.   ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 12:32:00 pm »
There was a website to see if you could correctly guess a person's nationality - Chinese, Korean, or Japanese. I got like 7 of 20 correct, and I'm Asian. lol. We'll see.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 02:35:22 pm »
It looks like someone updated the title n the main page to "Day 3" but frogot to link to the day 3 article. Still only days 1 and 2 there.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2012, 06:38:58 pm »
works fine for me (unless it has been updated since your post)...day 3 comes right up now.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2012, 07:33:56 am »
The verano is a compact car but it is a heavy car and that hurts its fuel economy. I think the drivetrain is quite efficient for the weight.
2012 Curb Weights.
Verano curb Weight 3300lbs
Camry Curb Weight 3200lbs
Cruze LT Curb Weight 3155lbs
Buick Regal GS Curb Weight 3700lbs

Weight savings is now really important to Manufacturers. Gives them fuel savings and performance with no major changes to the drivetrain.(new 2013 altima 3100lbs)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:51:30 am by Factger »

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2012, 08:57:02 am »
The Verano may be a heck of  a good car on paper, but don't forget, Buick is a division of GM.  That takes it off the short list in a hurry for me.

Well, as long as you have an open mind and are prepared to judge a product on its actual merits....  ::)

Jaeger

I've been burned by GM, and still have no faith in their products.  I'd actually buy a Toyota before a GM. That aside, I'm not a fan of Buick styling, particularly the front and back.  Too glitzy and I don't like real, let alone  fake wood interior trim bits.  I guess I'm not a "Luxury" car fan.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2012, 02:19:03 pm »
 This is really a pretty little car (except for the colour)...Good price...They should sell well...Jack

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2012, 05:55:18 pm »

I've been burned by GM, and still have no faith in their products.  I'd actually buy a Toyota before a GM. That aside, I'm not a fan of Buick styling, particularly the front and back.  Too glitzy and I don't like real, let alone  fake wood interior trim bits.  I guess I'm not a "Luxury" car fan.

You should be quite happy over in the Yaris thread in that case.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2012, 11:34:13 pm »
well, to be honest, i have to agree with the wood trim comment (real or not)...i think it just looks tacky...wood doesn't belong in a car...nice looking plastics or metal do...maybe even carbon fiber (i guess)...but not wood.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2012, 01:03:32 am »
The Outback Limiteds and 3.6R's have strips of "wood" on the dash and door. I don't mind it a bit. Relieves the sombre colour a bit.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2012, 10:49:10 am »

You should be quite happy over in the Yaris thread in that case.

Thanks, but I'm very happy with my Golf wagon, which is somewhere in between the Verano and Yaris.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2012, 04:06:44 pm »
The Outback Limiteds and 3.6R's have strips of "wood" on the dash and door. I don't mind it a bit. Relieves the sombre colour a bit.
from all the ones i have seen, that looks like a fairly decent application of it...personally, i would still prefer "aluminum accents" or something other than wood...but if it HAD to be wood, that's likely one of the better ones i have seen...perhaps it is one of those things that "grow on you" as time goes by.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2012, 01:25:03 pm »
from all the ones i have seen, that looks like a fairly decent application of it...personally, i would still prefer "aluminum accents" or something other than wood...but if it HAD to be wood, that's likely one of the better ones i have seen...perhaps it is one of those things that "grow on you" as time goes by.

The more fake wood trim I see the more it bothers me... particularly some of the weak imitations i've seen in GMs lately. aluminum is too pricey in most cases, but the middle ground i like best is a patterned or printed plastic insert as I've seen in some VWs and Hondas, and even the new Impreza (http://www.autos.ca/galleries/2012/index.php?level=picture&id=2709)—not expensive, and not fake wood, but it also relieves monotony of sea of gray or black interiors. Of course, if you can make the leap to lighter or brown/cream interiors, sometimes the imitations wood is the only thing that won't look out of place...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2012, 04:45:24 pm »
I bought an Asus laptop last year and although it had nothing to do with my purchase, it uses a dark bronze colored textured aluminum on the case that looks very sharp and would go nicely with a tan interior as a trim material.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2012, 07:18:35 pm »
I bought an Asus laptop last year and although it had nothing to do with my purchase, it uses a dark bronze colored textured aluminum on the case that looks very sharp and would go nicely with a tan interior as a trim material.
i would agree that bronze aluminum would look nice...sure, aluminum is more money than plastic, but i can't imagine a few pieces of trim would be that expensive...if it added $100 to the price of the car, it would likely be money well spent.