Author Topic: First Drive: 2018 Jeep Wrangler  (Read 19004 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: First Drive: 2018 Jeep Wrangler
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 11:09:54 am »
We need someone to come in with a budget wrangler fighter, a new Sidekick/Tracker, Samurai or the like.

Just buy a used TJ ya cheap bastages!!!  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 11:51:00 am »
Haha yes that seems the only option these days, I have owned more than a few TJ/YJs... it would just be nice to see something new come out that I could get excited about,  not another flippin crossover!  ;)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 11:54:29 am »
Haha yes that seems the only option these days, I have owned more than a few TJ/YJs... it would just be nice to see something new come out that I could get excited about,  not another flippin crossover!  ;)

My wifes JK was just a hair under $31k back in 2006 when she bought it. I want to see what the new JL is worth. I mean if a weaksauce, fwd based, engine the wrong way, no real 4x4 hatchback with high heels is worth $30+k, this is definitely worth it.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 02:48:18 pm »

My wifes JK was just a hair under $31k back in 2006 when she bought it. I want to see what the new JL is worth. I mean if a weaksauce, fwd based, engine the wrong way, no real 4x4 hatchback with high heels is worth $30+k, this is definitely worth it.
FWIW, $31k from 2006 is equivalent to about $37,200 today (when adjusted for inflation).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 03:57:02 pm »
the more i have read, the more i am getting ready to get a new one... only problem i am having now is that i can only order really boring colours... well, that and i have to guess at the prices because even i don't have access to them yet.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 04:10:40 pm »
the more i have read, the more i am getting ready to get a new one... only problem i am having now is that i can only order really boring colours... well, that and i have to guess at the prices because even i don't have access to them yet.

Which engine would you opt for?
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 04:19:56 pm »

i'd likely keep it safe and go with the Pentastar 3.6L V6.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 04:24:21 pm »
It will be interesting to see what Jeep does in terms of pricing.  I totally get that the Wrangler is super fashionable right now, and they want to reap the rewards of that demand.  But, I also think a big part of the appeal of the Wrangler has been value, and if they take that off the table, it might sink their boat.  It's a tricky spot to be in, business wise.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 04:30:33 pm »
It will be interesting to see what Jeep does in terms of pricing.  I totally get that the Wrangler is super fashionable right now, and they want to reap the rewards of that demand.  But, I also think a big part of the appeal of the Wrangler has been value, and if they take that off the table, it might sink their boat.  It's a tricky spot to be in, business wise.
i don't disagree as you are 100% correct...however, it isn't like the new one just became more expensive and they launched 4 new colours...they've upgraded this unit quite a bit...it was pretty easy to keep the cost down when the vehicle's interior looked like it was from the late 90s.

2016:

2018:

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 05:00:19 pm »
well, that is also comparing a base sport with a top of the line rubicon recon. but yeah... and overall, (in the states at least) the pricing went up by roughly 3k on each model. i think the changes are worth the 3k.

well, i'd opt for the manual transmission, so that would limit me to the v6. not upsettingly so. sounds like the engine and transmission will have enough tweaks to make it "new" to me. no willy's edition yet though, so i'd likely get bumped up to a rubicon to get most of what i want... damn i'm gonna have to spend too much.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 05:08:11 pm »
well, that is also comparing a base sport with a top of the line rubicon recon. but yeah... and overall, (in the states at least) the pricing went up by roughly 3k on each model. i think the changes are worth the 3k.
it's hard finding Rubicon photos, but the ones i found weren't much different (bigger screen, leather seats, but same general look and layout).

as you mentioned, the new model is worth the extra money.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 05:41:02 pm »
The pricing was definitely an eye-opener.  We drove back from the off-roading portion of the event in a base model 4-door "Sport".  That's the first vehicle I can recall in a lonnnnnng time that had crank windows!  It is definitely bare-bones, yet costs over $40-grand?! 

Being very careful with the options, I'd go for a 2-door Rubicon with the V6 and stick shift and not feel too bad about the gouging. 

The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 05:46:05 pm »
The Doug Demuro review mentioned that it is light years more refined than the previous model. From the ride/handling to the interior to the wind noise, everything is significantly improved. 

He said it now drives like a regular SUV. That's going to win over a lot of people who wanted one but didn't want the comprises.  Whether it's enough to overcome the losses due to pricing will have to be seen.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 05:52:43 pm »
The Doug Demuro review mentioned that it is light years more refined than the previous model. From the ride/handling to the interior to the wind noise, everything is significantly improved. 

He said it now drives like a regular SUV. That's going to win over a lot of people who wanted one but didn't want the comprises.  Whether it's enough to overcome the losses due to pricing will have to be seen.

He's absolutely right.  The refinement improvement cannot be overstated.   

Folks that bought a JK Unlimited Sahara and put a few options on 'em, won't be too disappointed by the new pricing, I'd wager.  For those who are using it as a family SUV, it's an improvement in every way.  For off-roading, it's a little more capable off-road than the outgoing model, so again, a few grand extra might be tolerable. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 06:44:16 pm »

He's absolutely right.  The refinement improvement cannot be overstated.   

Folks that bought a JK Unlimited Sahara and put a few options on 'em, won't be too disappointed by the new pricing, I'd wager.  For those who are using it as a family SUV, it's an improvement in every way.  For off-roading, it's a little more capable off-road than the outgoing model, so again, a few grand extra might be tolerable.
agree with everything both you and tortoise said (I saw the Doug review too)...these vehicles have always been very capable, but there was often just too many compromises as a daily driver...in other words, unless you REALLY wanted to do off-road stuff, there was no point in getting a Jeep...the new models seem to close that gap...now, they are very good as a "regular" vehicle, and if you want to do some off-road stuff (even just light off-roading), it's almost a no brainer.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 03:15:45 pm »
I wonder what the margin is on these.  Ford is supposed to be making on average upwards of 13k on each F-150.. I bet this thing isn't far off that.  FCA is cashing in on it's cow... I don't deny the new wrangler looks great but the value is totally gone, just imho.

I haven't seen any pics of the base model yet, I hope it includes a few more options than before!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:17:22 pm by WRX_Pilot »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 03:38:08 pm »
I wonder what the margin is on these.  Ford is supposed to be making on average upwards of 13k on each F-150.. I bet this thing isn't far off that.  FCA is cashing in on it's cow... I don't deny the new wrangler looks great but the value is totally gone, just imho.

I haven't seen any pics of the base model yet, I hope it includes a few more options than before!

Since it's a new model, which involved some retooling, engineering, etc, the margin probably isn't huge for the 1st couple years... I'm sure the margin on the outgoing model is huge right now, as all that tooling, engineering, etc., has totally paid off.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2017, 11:23:53 am »
There are several regular USB and smaller USB-C ports, and on upper trim levels, a 115V auxiliary power outlet is found in the rear seat area.
Um, odd, but is the Wrangler the first vehicle to be equipped with USB-c ports?!?!

That's kinda awesome in any event.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2017, 12:37:51 pm »
There are several regular USB and smaller USB-C ports, and on upper trim levels, a 115V auxiliary power outlet is found in the rear seat area.
Um, odd, but is the Wrangler the first vehicle to be equipped with USB-c ports?!?!

That's kinda awesome in any event.
not sure i've ever seen another...i'd rather have USB as it's more universal, but having USB-C could be good if your phone supports it...if you're going with something new and unique though, go wireless charging pad.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2017, 12:43:58 pm »
i'm dumb with this stuff... will a regular usb still work in a C, or will it have to be the new ones with no upsidedown? man, i feel so old saying that...

anyway, this 13k profit... that is off the cost/ verses the price/.... doesn't usually take into considering r&d, incentives and all that.

i can tell you that dealers just got their pricing this morning... and one equipped the way i would build it would list at 50k... that is a pretty loaded up sport unlimited stick v6. my profit would be about 4k if it sold at list. nice that they have "let" us have a profitable car, but who are we kidding? so many stores out there, we'll be selling them at 3k off as long as we can replace them.