Author Topic: Time to replace the Outlander has come...  (Read 6483 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: Time to replace the Outlander has come...
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2024, 10:09:14 am »
I'd offer the guy $20K, as an easy no nonsense deal....cash for keys and title. You'd be surprised how often sellers respond positively to that. Gives you plenty of budget to sort out the cosmetic stuff.

I agree. Give him your number and say the offer is good for three days. You need deal tension.

He's under pressure to sell as he is leaving the country on Saturday. So pressure is on his side.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2024, 10:19:33 am »
I'd offer the guy $20K, as an easy no nonsense deal....cash for keys and title. You'd be surprised how often sellers respond positively to that. Gives you plenty of budget to sort out the cosmetic stuff.

I agree. Give him your number and say the offer is good for three days. You need deal tension.

He's under pressure to sell as he is leaving the country on Saturday. So pressure is on his side.

Make him an offer, then.   

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2024, 10:20:26 am »
Under normal circumstances I'd wait for the right vehicle to come up for sale given the damage you mention, however if you don't have faith the right one will come up with your particular spec then a low  offer is in order. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2024, 10:26:25 am »

My offer just went down.  ;D

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2024, 10:43:40 am »
Under normal circumstances I'd wait for the right vehicle to come up for sale given the damage you mention, however if you don't have faith the right one will come up with your particular spec then a low  offer is in order.

The thing with this particular unit is:
- it's in my "ideal" spec - color combo, trim - pretty rare to come by (I've been watching the market for 2-3 years now)
- it's low mileage - gives me the chance to maintain it properly for the long run
- only driven in Canada for 2 winters - rust due to salt should be minimal. Do they use salt in China? Even if they do, it was only driven there for 4000 km
- most of the km have been highway

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2024, 10:44:02 am »

Do tell... to what?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2024, 11:00:04 am »

The thing with this particular unit is:
- it's in my "ideal" spec - color combo, trim - pretty rare to come by (I've been watching the market for 2-3 years now)
- it's low mileage - gives me the chance to maintain it properly for the long run
- only driven in Canada for 2 winters - rust due to salt should be minimal. Do they use salt in China? Even if they do, it was only driven there for 4000 km
- most of the km have been highway

Sounds like you're making an offer then.  Like you said, you've been watching the market for 2-3 years.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2024, 11:43:22 am »

Do tell... to what?

Well if you were prepared to offer him $20k I would say 80% of that offer so $18.4k. Seems harsh but if he is truly leaving the country in 4 days then the chances of having a no strings attached deal consummated by then is slim to none and none just left town.

Why sellers put statements like "Must sell leaving the country... in their ads I don't understand. It provides a timeline against them. It also increases buyer risks in case something goes wrong as the seller is no longer in country (Fraud etc).

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2024, 11:54:58 am »
Went to see the low mileage X3. It's a big no-go. Car is in rough shape and has been neglected and abused. Seller is very motivated, but I wouldn't get that car at any price.
So it shows good and pictures and that's about it, eh?

Yeah pretty much. Hard to see the real condition in pictures. Also, very important to speak to the owner as you know.

This car has an interesting story. It was purchased new by a top Canadian diplomat posted in China where it lived till 2022 and driven only 4000 km. The current owner bought it and brought it back to Canada in 2022. This is when the Carfax history starts.

Most of the 66K km where driven by him in the last 2 years and mostly highway between  Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal. He did 2-3 oil changes (he couldn't say for sure) at CT - he said he changed the oil based on the car reminder which, if the same as in my BMW, it's at 24,000 km (!) which kind of adds up with the mileage.  He "thought" he might've done a brake fluid change but not sure.... CT recently installed new pads on the original rotors (rusted). Has winter tires on the original wheels (maybe good for one more season) but no summer.

Probably the car will show up soon on the market as he'll try to unload it to a dealer by Thursday (leaving the country on Saturday for an undetermined period). Dude is an immigration lawyer bouncing between various countries. Nice guy but he admitted he knows nothing about cars...and the car's condition shows it.

Otherwise, I think this is THE car I'm after, but I need to find the right unit at the right price. This is not a $5K roll of a dice purchase so I'll be patient.

Other than the factory-recommended service, which just about every X3 will have, what are you seeing that makes this thing rough?
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2024, 12:43:13 pm »

Other than the factory-recommended service, which just about every X3 will have, what are you seeing that makes this thing rough?

Exterior:
- Front bumper - scrape on the passenger corner; the sensor is hanging inside the bumper; clip may be broken so may need new sensor. Somewhat visible in one of the front pictures.
- Hood - 2 long (aprox 3 inch), deep dents dents from impact not stone chips. Paint is intact except for a small area where is chipped. Can't see in the pictures, could be lighting or damage occurred recently.
- Roof frame above rear door - long, deep dent from impact. Paint is intact.
- Hatch - rough scratches above the transversal body crease, below the window - feels like impact with a rough surface. Paint seems to be still in place (this may buff out)
- Rear bumper - paint chipped on the left corner (noticeable in the pictures) and many small-ish scuffs probably from getting things in and out of the trunk (some may buff out)
- All wheels have significant curb rash, some of them pretty bad (metal shaved)

Interior
- All plastic surfaces in the trunk are pretty scuffed (some may be just dirt but not sure)
- Plastic on the back of the rear seats and floor console scuffed (some may be just dirt, but can't tell for sure)

This is just what I noticed before I figured in my mind that it's not a car I would pay top dollars for as-is... and I kind of lost interest in looking over the rest. I did not look under the car nor drove the car.
I did however look under the hood for signs of leaks (none), broken stuff, but it's pretty much OK. The engine sounded fine, no unusual noises, vibration, etc.

Definitely needs breaks and tires.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/X3/undefined/undefined/19_12813869_
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 12:54:15 pm by Dante »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2024, 01:03:25 pm »
Honestly, a lot of this just sounds like normal wear and tear.  The car needs some reconditioning.  I'd be willing to bet the dents will come out with PDR.  A paint correction should fix the remainder of the scratches.  Chips in bumpers are easily rectified with new painted bumper covers - a common item for used car dealers to replace when 'refreshing' a car.  Call it $2k. 

Scuffed plastic in the trunk shouldn't be a deal breaker - you only see them when loading/unloading cargo, and frankly, is what a trunk is for.  That said, it sounds like an interior detail is in order.  Call it $500 for a top dollar interior detail.

New set of wheels if the curb rash bothers you - $2k? 

All fluid change and deferred maintenance - $1.5k? 

So at the high end, you're probably at $6k to completely recondition the vehicle and take out any defects, and you're left with a pristine example of a vehicle with good bones, in a spec exactly how you want it. 

Offer the $20k, and then you're at least $4k up over what they should go for.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2024, 01:06:38 pm »
Yep. And the owner needs to understand that these issues do affect the value of his car. It's not like he's gonna get any more in trade in value.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2024, 01:11:10 pm »
I'd be curious to hear @TheHire opinion as the resident SME.

Forgot to ask him if he has 2 keys. The keys for these cars are an arm and a leg ($600-$700 I think).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 01:14:06 pm by Dante »

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2024, 01:13:39 pm »
Everything you've said is the result of a normal person owning a slightly nicer than normal car. It's a midsize whatever-SUV owner by the average midsize SUV buyer... it's fine. If this is the right spec for you, I'd offer $23K and get it done. You and I both know you'll find a way to recondition/refurbish whatever you need and be well under the $30K mark for a nice SUV.

This thing is going to retail for $25K, and has the same mileage. It hasn't moved at $28.5K in a month.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/mississauga-peel-region/2017-bmw-x3-xdrive35i-awd-leather/m8369488?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwouexBhAuEiwAtW_Zx4L6at8ux-x2icLtQIcCeV_-TUprI8InaNR3Uc3uUG_rpDFkF6JHuhoCs2YQAvD_BwE&store=81

« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 01:15:35 pm by TheHire »

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2024, 01:14:38 pm »
Yep. And the owner needs to understand that these issues do affect the value of his car. It's not like he's gonna get any more in trade in value.

Exactly. It is a 7-year old vehicle at the end of the day. And since time is at play here, I think the best thing to do is look it over again, drive it, PPI and then make an offer. If mechanically all there then the cosmetics can all be addressed.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2024, 01:20:55 pm »
$20K's high too if you need it to be *perfect*.

This thing is going to retail for $25K, and has the same mileage. It hasn't moved at $28.5K in a month.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/mississauga-peel-region/2017-bmw-x3-xdrive35i-awd-leather/m8369488?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwouexBhAuEiwAtW_Zx4L6at8ux-x2icLtQIcCeV_-TUprI8InaNR3Uc3uUG_rpDFkF6JHuhoCs2YQAvD_BwE&store=81

I've seen that one too, but the kicker is that the cash price is $2000 more. I was going to check it out.

In a way I prefer this one as it should have less rust - only 2 years worth of rust vs 7-8 years.

What do you think a dealer might offer for it?

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2024, 01:26:54 pm »
$20K's high too if you need it to be *perfect*.

I've seen that one too, but the kicker is that the cash price is $2000 more. I was going to check it out.

In a way I prefer this one as it should have less rust - only 2 years worth of rust vs 7-8 years.

What do you think a dealer might offer for it?

Irrelevant what a dealer might offer for it... you're buying it as a private buyer, and a picky one who'll ask lots and lots of questions that the dealer (Hyundai store, not versed in BMWs in any way) will not care to answer. Less questions, more power to negotiate usually, because the easier you're making their deal.

And if another dealer approaches me to ask what I want for one of my inventory pieces, I usually am not negotiable. If they have a buyer for it, they've likely baked in a smidge of money for themselves already, so I'd likely be able to sell it myself for the same amount. The only time there's some desperation is if the inventory is truly stale and has been around untouched for a LONG time. Across all my dealerships I have one car like that right now and it's only been around since early February.

My take is a bit cynical, but I've been on both sides, and given how much junk I pick up for myself personally/privately as well, I think I'm a bit qualified to discuss both sides of that equation. I am just as curious about history and stuff as you are, but I also go out of my way to make their life easier/no-nonsense as the seller, because that will mean they're more likely to be favourable to me as well.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2024, 01:26:58 pm »
I would say $16-17k.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2024, 01:27:47 pm »

Exactly. It is a 7-year old vehicle at the end of the day. And since time is at play here, I think the best thing to do is look it over again, drive it, PPI and then make an offer. If mechanically all there then the cosmetics can all be addressed.

Thing is I may not have time for PPI as time is running out. I may put in an offer for $20K and hope for the best.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2024, 01:30:10 pm »
I would say $16-17k.

You guys nuts? I feel like he MIGHT go to $22-23K, but Jesus Christ $16-17K would be grand theft auto... there are no real comparables out there other than the one I linked at 401 Dixie Hyundai. Every other one has over 100K on the clock, which is fine because the N55 is a pretty stout engine... but they're low-to-mid 20s too.