Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid vs 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI  (Read 26768 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Comparison Test: 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid vs 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 01:01:22 pm »
We even tried to match them up against the original hybrid, the Prius V, but one was not available

The ORIGINAL hybrid is the PRIUS .... not the V, just to keep things factual.   :)   Toyota needs to re-examine the V.  We avoid stocking the V.  If Toyota decided to stretch a Prius then they should have stretched the power to match the load.    But it's Ford that has been pounding away at the comparison between the C-Max and the V, and for good reason.  On it's own merits, for the MPG, the C-Max is a massive fail.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 01:13:51 pm »
The C-Max barely beats our Corolla for fuel economy.   ::)

I can fix that for you... :rofl2:
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 01:34:11 pm »
I personally don't have any issue with the Trans. Can. fuel ratings. They are to be looked at as a comparative tool. If a truck, for example, rates 14 l/100km. in the city and a small car rates 7 l/100km., then we know that the truck owner will use twice as much fuel (and so on). What Ford has done here with the C-Max, however, should be considered FRAUD! No comparison whatsoever to Hyundai's recent problems with their estimates - much worse. The extensive testing done by the writer resulted in the C-Max using 80% more fuel than its official rating!!! The VW used about 10% more.

This was a great test in that many km. were driven and the C-Max's official rating is about the same for city/highway. Therefore no issues with stop and go and percentage of city/highway involved. Once again, I say that this constitutes fraud by Ford. Games (or purposeful "errors") such as this by manufacturers such as Ford render the Trans. Can. ratings useless, not only for estimates of annual fuel usage, but as a comparative tool (its most important function).

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 04:01:16 pm »
I'd really love to know the ownership cost of new diesels.
I've been told by more than one person the new emission requirements have added very expensive and complex systems to diesels.

I'll be replacing my current vehicle soon and will be looking for a very specific list of needs that are hard to fill.  (decent fuel economy, comfy travel car, towing capacity - a blend of daily driver and travel vehicle)   On paper the diesels seem perfect.

Urea injection for the most part.  The urea tank needs to be filled up every 15000-20000 kms and if you do it yourself, it will run you well under $80.

Again, it depends on the manufacturer & model.  For example, VW doesn't need it on the 2.0 TDI, but they need it on the bigger V6 TDI.  Mazda doesn't need it with their Skyactiv-D because they dropped the compression ratio significantly so the NOx and soot production is greatly reduced.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 04:12:40 pm »
No cost per km comparison? That is the most important. Fail.

Not a figure you going to see from a buff-book. The really important cost is TCO: total cost of operation. Never once seen it on a buff-book.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2013, 04:46:04 pm »
Ford is stuck in a marketing blind alley here.  They've gone out of their way in their advertizing to knock the Prius V saying the C-Max is much faster and gets much better mileage.

Driven as illustrated in the ads, the C-Max will probably deliver dismal fuel numbers.  Even driven comparably, it appears the C-Max falls short of the Prius V.

So there is the credibility gap for anyone watching this unfold.

The bind for Ford is their traditional customer list does not include a lot of hybrid aspirers.  They seem to be saying hybrids are boring and you can drive our C-Max like a sports car and get better mileage than a Prius. 

I don't see where they can go with this.  Potential Ford buyers have their negative image of hybrids reinforced and non-Ford gear heads who do pay attention to fuel economy claims vs real world results will be climbing all over Fords back.

Maybe Ford put a really big tank in the C-Max so their buyers will think they are getting good mileage but they really seem to have dug themselves an expectation hole that will be difficult to climb out of.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2013, 05:04:23 pm »
Ford is stuck in a marketing blind alley here.  They've gone out of their way in their advertizing to knock the Prius V saying the C-Max is much faster and gets much better mileage.

Driven as illustrated in the ads, the C-Max will probably deliver dismal fuel numbers.  Even driven comparably, it appears the C-Max falls short of the Prius V.

So there is the credibility gap for anyone watching this unfold.

The bind for Ford is their traditional customer list does not include a lot of hybrid aspirers.  They seem to be saying hybrids are boring and you can drive our C-Max like a sports car and get better mileage than a Prius. 

I don't see where they can go with this.  Potential Ford buyers have their negative image of hybrids reinforced and non-Ford gear heads who do pay attention to fuel economy claims vs real world results will be climbing all over Fords back.

Maybe Ford put a really big tank in the C-Max so their buyers will think they are getting good mileage but they really seem to have dug themselves an expectation hole that will be difficult to climb out of.

Cheers,
John M.

Isn't there an old adage about how to satisfy customers?  Something like  "deliver more than you promise".  Ford seems to have got it backwards this time
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2013, 06:08:54 pm »
 I gathered from the article that they both got about the game MPGs..Is diesel more expensive in Canada , as it is (unfairly) here in the states?
  If so, I daresay the Ford wins on economy...I don't care what the vehicles were rated for..only what each got as far as MPG goes...The Ford may have been the winner here in economy...Good point about the same vehicle with the 1.6 (6 spd std?)...Could actually be faster and better on fuel.
   Bugger that    jack

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2013, 06:51:52 pm »
I gathered from the article that they both got about the game MPGs..Is diesel more expensive in Canada , as it is (unfairly) here in the states?
  If so, I daresay the Ford wins on economy...I don't care what the vehicles were rated for..only what each got as far as MPG goes...The Ford may have been the winner here in economy...Good point about the same vehicle with the 1.6 (6 spd std?)...Could actually be faster and better on fuel.
   Bugger that    jack

It depends on location & time of year.  Sometimes it's a little cheaper, sometimes it's a little more.  By little, I mean 10 cents a litre.  Really, the fuel economy difference more than makes up for the difference in price.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2013, 06:57:27 pm »
   Bugger that    jack

It depends on location & time of year.  Sometimes it's a little cheaper, sometimes it's a little more.  By little, I mean 10 cents a litre.  Really, the fuel economy difference more than makes up for the difference in price.

Diesel here in NB runs 12-15 cents more than regular gas for a good part of the year. In the height of summer it get's down to par or a small (2-3 cent) premium.

http://www.cbc.ca/nb/interactives/gasprices/chart.html

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2013, 07:03:54 pm »
 That seems fair enough.....But it costs less to make diesel, ergo one would think it would cost less...Not in the imperfect world of get as much as you can for your product...Demand equals price increase....But here the difference is 50 cents or better per gallon.. About 15 percent more..(about 3.50 gal at present)...I've never seen the explanation for this disparity...I suspect there isn't one..Just greed....Thanks bud  Jack

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2013, 07:06:47 pm »
That seems fair enough.....But it costs less to make diesel, ergo one would think it would cost less...Not in the imperfect world of get as much as you can for your product...Demand equals price increase....But here the difference is 50 cents or better per gallon.. About 15 percent more..(about 3.50 gal at present)...I've never seen the explanation for this disparity...I suspect there isn't one..Just greed....Thanks bud  Jack

15 cents per litre more is like 56-57 cents more per US Gallon

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2013, 07:16:08 pm »
I've been told by more than one person the new emission requirements have added very expensive and complex systems to diesels.

I'll be replacing my current vehicle soon and will be looking for a very specific list of needs that are hard to fill.  (decent fuel economy, comfy travel car, towing capacity - a blend of daily driver and travel vehicle)   On paper the diesels seem perfect.

Urea injection for the most part.  The urea tank needs to be filled up every 15000-20000 kms and if you do it yourself, it will run you well under $80.

Again, it depends on the manufacturer & model.  For example, VW doesn't need it on the 2.0 TDI, but they need it on the bigger V6 TDI.  Mazda doesn't need it with their Skyactiv-D because they dropped the compression ratio significantly so the NOx and soot production is greatly reduced.

A friend of mine is running Ford diesels in the bush and finding the urea fluid is frozen solid at -20, kind of annoying.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2013, 07:22:46 pm »

A friend of mine is running Ford diesels in the bush and finding the urea fluid is frozen solid at -20, kind of annoying.

Sounds like Ford forgot the heating system  (or it's on the fritz)  It's been -20 or-22 the last few days and the urea in the ML has been fine

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2013, 07:24:27 pm »
Can you just top it off with a little of your own warm urea fluid...   ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2013, 07:25:53 pm »
Diesel has more energy per litre than gasoline and arguably should cost more...or perhaps it should be taxed more.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2013, 08:28:29 pm »

Sounds like Ford forgot the heating system  (or it's on the fritz)  It's been -20 or-22 the last few days and the urea in the ML has been fine

Yup.  I know guys with GM Duramax diesels without issue on the urea systems running in the bush at temps around -40C.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2013, 09:42:47 pm »
The C-Max barely beats our Corolla for fuel economy.   ::)

That's amazing...many hybrids are a scam and a sham. Or more generously, a novelty.

I think you hit it on the head, its hip to be green and these things fall under that umbrella. You cant show up at a movie premiere in a hemi 'Cuda, the hippies will crucify you, show up in a Prius, or whatever equivalent, and everyone think you are a hero.

Except us :)
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2013, 10:36:39 pm »
   Bugger that    jack

Diesel here in NB runs 12-15 cents more than regular gas for a good part of the year. In the height of summer it get's down to par or a small (2-3 cent) premium.

http://www.cbc.ca/nb/interactives/gasprices/chart.html

I got pretty lucky, then, because the whole time I was running the long-term golf wagon TDI, diesel was cheaper than even regular gas here in the GTA...

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2013, 10:46:08 pm »
Diesel has more energy per litre than gasoline and arguably should cost more...or perhaps it should be taxed more.

Finally.  I had to read through every post to see if anyone mentioned that diesel has more energy per litre than gas.  Price is one matter, but you should factor out the energy difference before directly comparing mileage.  In this, the mileage comparison falls short.

And since this is, after all, 2013, fuel/efficiency comparisons should include GHG and particulate levels.  Surely it's not that hard to have this checked for cars tested.
And some cretins think I hate cars.