Author Topic: Comparison Test: Best Family Sedans  (Read 37561 times)

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
Re: Comparison Test: Best Family Sedans
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 10:15:02 am »
I would have definitely liked to add the Passat, Optima, and Sonata, but we had to draw the line somewhere, so we stuck with this year's new releases

We are in the middle of negotiating trading my 2009 Sonata for a new 2013 Sonata GLS. How do you think it would have placed in this group ?
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 10:21:24 am »
Great comparison!  These are very well done and a treat to read.

I wonder how the Camry SE would have fared in this test.  If I was in the market for a car in this class I would  give it serious consideration.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Northernridge

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 10:57:48 am »
Good article, good comparison. I'm glad for Honda, I hope they continue their comeback.

If I was going to buy from this segment I might only look at the Accord and Camry because they are the two sure things in my mind. Not the only good cars...just the best bets.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 10:59:41 am »
Great review, thanks guys. Funny to read that a Toyota trumps a Ford in value. I agree with others, what a world its coming to.

Your kidding right ? Did you not read "Camry is set to eclipse 400,000 units in sales south of the border for the first time since 2008 (the only mid-size sedan to achieve that kind of volume), and perennially the bestselling car in America." or ever go to http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/12/usa-november-2012-20-best-selling-cars.html  :think: Read a Kelly blue book article, read a http://www.desrosiers.ca/ article or J.D. Powers reports.

Ford sells well but in terms of used value but it's hard to top Toy/Hon cars in regards to resale within the non luxury brands.
Value can be perceived in many ways including resale or content to price.
Ford sales are definitely moving in the right direction. They still maintain the highest pickup sales by far in N/A. :winner:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:10:42 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 11:22:05 am »
Here's another vote for a sedan 6MT comparo - whatever you folks can get your hands on, I'll read it  :)

I tried an auto for awhile because of heavy Vancouver traffic, but have switched back to manual, don't regret it one bit.  I doubt I'll ever drive another auto.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 11:53:25 am »
Great read. Good that Honda has returned to it's historical path. The Altima was a surprise in fourth and the Fusion fuel economy will have a lot of potential buyers wondering if looks are more important than mileage. I would like to know more about how some manufacturers seem to have substantially more optimistic Transport Canada (and EPA) numbers than average. Hyundai apparently boosted their numbers. Is this something that the manufacturer can do internally of their own will? It kills me to see Ford F150 (32mpg) and Ram talk about 36mpg highway...

Offline Adam D

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 11:54:07 am »
Good review. It was good to see acknowledgment of a preconcieved favourite while sticking to the criteria for an objective review. The Accord is nice (minus Honda's inability to produce a nice dash layout), but I would not be the least bit interested in a boring Camry. It's a good reliable car, but that's where it ends for me. I imagine that once discounts are taken into consideration the gap between a domestic and an Accord would be much more significant as most reviews only take into account the sticker price. Once the true cost is factored in  the resale value is less of an issue as well.

One other point that many people seem to be hung up on is milage. One or two mpg has never been a make or break for me. Yes I am on a budget, but would like to drive something that is enjoyable. If it costs me an extra 5-10 bucks a week so be it.

Offline TerryB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Porsche Boxster, Hyundai Genesis Sedan, Mazda MX5, Mazda3, Mercury Villager, Nissan Altima, Acura Integra (x4)
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 12:03:50 pm »
I really hope you do the same comparison test soon with Mid-Size Hybrids and maybe throw in the upcoming Mazda6 Diesel.

Offline alexdc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Mazda3 Sport GS, 2.3 5 speed manual. commuter
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 12:15:12 pm »
Malibu's really on a roll...downhill. Dead last in every comparo published so far.

As for the Altima, first time I saw the new one on the road, the word "Oldsmobile" popped up in my mind. The sporty, in-your-face appeal of the previous gen is gone, along with its low-to-the-ground good looks and manual tranny.

A midsize comparo just for us the forum boys would include:

Kia Optima - base with stick (NO ONE ever published anything on it!)
Honda Accord Sport 6MT
Ford Fusion SE 1.6T 6MT
Mazda6 GS 6MT
VW Passsat Comfortline TDI 6MT

!!!!!!!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 12:33:07 pm »
We are in the middle of negotiating trading my 2009 Sonata for a new 2013 Sonata GLS. How do you think it would have placed in this group ?
my guess is either side of the Fusion...it wouldn't have the driving dynamics of the Fusion, nor the Aston Martin looks, but would score well in the value department...the Optima might score a little higher in the looks department, but i would imagine the driving dynamics of both cars would be the same...i suppose that depends how driving dynamics are weighted.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 12:41:35 pm »
I've driven all the cars here except the Ford and I concur with the ratings. The Camry is a great deal for the money but as is usually the case, the Honda is worth the Honda extra $2000 premium per model. However, I doubt any family car buyer would regret either choice, or any of the cars here for that matter.

I am not sold on the 1.6 turbo in the Ford. My experience with gasoline turbo engines is they are not nearly as efficient as advertised. Small displacement turbo engines are good for EPA figures as the engineers conducting the test avoid on boost scenarios. This, in effect, mimics a naturally aspirated 1.6 litre. This is going to give better numbers; however, gunning it to get some performance will make those fuel economy gains disappear.

The Ford is over priced and the Touring edition of the Accord is not worth the extra money in my opinion.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 12:51:08 pm »
Amazing how quickly my Sonata has become a senior citizen in the uber-competitive midsize segment.

sacrat - I would expect it to finish roughly midpack in full test of all competitors.  If I were shopping, I'd try them all (well, not the Malibu, but most everything else).  Look at the Optima as well.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 01:07:07 pm »
While it would be an interesting read, are there really that many buyers for manual transmission family sedans? I'm a die-hard 3-pedal fan but I realize fully that I'm a significant minority in that respect, especially in the family sedan segment. What are the stats, like 5% of new car sales are manual transmission in North America?

That said, I am glad that with such a small representation of buyers, manufacturers still equip many models with manuals. It would likely be more cost-effective for them just to skip it.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 01:26:23 pm »
While it would be an interesting read, are there really that many buyers for manual transmission family sedans?

Nope.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 02:36:29 pm »
That was a good read.  Nice to see the Accord on Top, surprised it wasn't the Fusion. 

Your comparison tests are getting better and better with each one, keep up the great work!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 03:06:27 pm »
You can't get an Optima or Sonata with manual anymore.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 03:09:42 pm »
While it would be an interesting read, are there really that many buyers for manual transmission family sedans?

Nope.

Manual transmissions in family cars make up much less than 1% of sales. Getting a manual is always special order as no dealer wants to stock one. Then there is the issue of resale. It is very hard to privately sell a manual anything, let alone a mommy-mobile.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 03:11:11 pm »
You can't get an Optima or Sonata with manual anymore.

Which is unfortunate, that turbo Optima would be a blast with a manual in it.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 03:37:20 pm »
Good Article, not many surprises.  The Malibu has a curse, one generation its great, the next it's the bottom of the list. It would have been more fair if GM would supply the non ECO trim.  If you remember the previous generation, it was a great family sedan, until the Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata stepped up their game.  As I have not sat in the new Ford Fusion, it's described as bland compared to the Focus and Escape, hey that may work for me, as I prefer things more straightforward, which is why VW interiors have been so functional for so long.  As far as the Ford being more expensive, I mean none of these are imports, there are all made in the USA.  But you just wait till summer and get Ford Employee Pricing, get a Costco card, and you save $4000 off the Accord.  If price is your biggest issue. 

What I was suprised by the new Accord (and the rest of the cars) is that the average fuel economy was 8.8L/100km.  That it is with a reworked 2.4L (Earth Dream crap) and a CVT.  Now the previous generation achieved an average of 9.2L/100km (as per your test drive), that's less than a 5% differance, so my question is: is this new Accord that much better than the previous generation.  I find Honda, one generation to the next, there is little differance (Civic comes to mind for some reason), this time the Camry certainly is differant than the previous generation, as is the Ford Fusion. 

I agree with others, a manual Mazda comparo (when available) would be great.  I know they are hard to get, but I often see manual Accords and Fusions.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 03:55:16 pm »

Nope.

Manual transmissions in family cars make up much less than 1% of sales. Getting a manual is always special order as no dealer wants to stock one. Then there is the issue of resale. It is very hard to privately sell a manual anything, let alone a mommy-mobile.

I'd be that one special ordering  ;)