Author Topic: Comparison Test: Best Family Sedans  (Read 37577 times)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Re: Comparison Test: Best Family Sedans
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2013, 01:03:40 pm »
Having driven each of those cars a few times now too, I can also say that the rankings don't surprise me.  I would've placed the Fusion in 2nd since, although the Camry's surprisingly better dynamically than I had expected, the Ford is just the one car in the bunch that seems to have a bit of passion infused. 

I also agree with Jonathan's sentiments about the Ecoboost being a bit noisier and coarser than the others.  More distressing though is that there's no way anyone will likely ever see fuel economy anywhere near Ford's claims.  The 1.6 needs to be caned to be fun and that makes it thirsty.

It's also interesting that driving any of these cars (well, except for maybe the Malibu) alone without the direct comparison to the competitors would show that each is a really great vehicle.  It's really only when given an opportunity to compare them all together that the minute details emerge.  The first time I drove the new Altima last fall by itself I was quite impressed by it.  Then, driving it back to back with the rest of its competitors, the aloof steering and mooing CVT really became more obvious to me. 

It was asked earlier what was so bad about the Malibu's interior.  It just looks and feels 10 years older than the rest of the competitors.  Mostly it's a stylistic thing -- silly-looking faux wood trim, squishy geezer seats, and poorly-chosen colours in the test car -- but nothing rattled or fell off while we drove them.  The overall driving experience of the Malibu just feels a generation behind the rest.

Two other interesting things that occurred to me when being around all these cars:  1)  all of them are 'domestics' now... EXCEPT for the Ford (the only one not built in USA).  2)  From behind, the new Accord looks startlingly like a Genesis sedan with its tail light treatment.  Is Honda copying Hyundai now?  (that ought to ruffle some feathers).   ;D
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2013, 08:51:07 pm »
1)  all of them are 'domestics' now... EXCEPT for the Ford (the only one not built in USA). 
you might have to check the VIN...the new Fusion is made in Mexico (Hermosillo plant) and Michigan (Flat Rock plant)...in fact, most of the Fusions in the USA will be made in the USA...not 100% sure about the mix in Canada though.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »
1)  all of them are 'domestics' now... EXCEPT for the Ford (the only one not built in USA). 
you might have to check the VIN...the new Fusion is made in Mexico (Hermosillo plant) and Michigan (Flat Rock plant)...in fact, most of the Fusions in the USA will be made in the USA...not 100% sure about the mix in Canada though.

Has the Michigan plant started making Fusions?  All I'm seeing is Mexican-made so far.  http://www.autobase.com/cgi/list.exe?make=Ford&model=Fusion&type=new&newsite=1
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2013, 02:23:27 pm »

Yup, I believe Jonathan checked the VIN on the blue car. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2013, 06:04:31 pm »
Has the Michigan plant started making Fusions?  All I'm seeing is Mexican-made so far.  http://www.autobase.com/cgi/list.exe?make=Ford&model=Fusion&type=new&newsite=1
yes, and most of the US Ford Fusions will be from the Michigan plant (likely a trickle down of Obama's "Buy America" program)...of course, with the UAW being realistic in their last contract negotiations, and likely that Michigan is now a "Right to work" state, there has been heavy investment back into that area...which is good, it was the automotive Mecca in its time.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2013, 10:33:22 pm »

Yup, I believe Jonathan checked the VIN on the blue car.

Nope, not on the Fusion...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman