Author Topic: Time to replace the Outlander has come...  (Read 6703 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: Time to replace the Outlander has come...
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2024, 06:30:30 pm »
Infiniti QX50 with the VQ V6?
Acura RDX came with a V6 for some years too

Rav4 also came with a V6 for sometime

Ultimate versatility with a Jeep Wrangler...

Not since 2012. Swing door is a big no-no. Shitty AWD in that gen as well. I looked at it back in 2006 and I went for the Outlander.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2024, 06:37:53 pm »
What's our budget?  ;D

New? I would look at a Honda Passport

Used? My two cents on the XC60. Only buy the T6 (3.0L turbo six cylinder) as it did not have any piston ring issues. So far it has been dead reliable.

Engine is nothing to be scared of, very well designed. Not the most efficient but keep your foot out of it and it's not bad. Engine is a gem gem gem.
Most 2015/16s were loaded up with features., The city safety (similar to Subaru eyesight) works well.
Cargo area seems big enough? Second row folds flat and at 6'2" I can lie diagonally in it. It seems to carry 4 adults fine.
Part prices seem reasonable versus Land Rover.
Lots of them around.

Check above windshield for rust. I have a few hard rock chips that are weeping rust. Mine got highwayed a lot. No rust anywhere else or underneath. At 8 years that's a good sign.

Budget under $25K on the road but not set in stone. The cheaper the better.

Like I said, I like the old XC60 and the T6 is the only one I would consider, but the main draw back is the rather small cargo space (or so I see it). I guess now that I'm seriously looking at the options, I may need to get the measuring tape out to see what's what.

Believe it or not, the main reason I want an SUV is utility and all weather capability. An SUV without these attributes makes no sense to me. I can't care less for performance aside for a nice, smooth 6 cylinder engine. Gas consumption is not a big concern for me. I just want to enjoy a 6-cyl ICE for a little longer before they go extinct.

The XC60 being a MY older it's even cheaper which is welcomed. I didn't completely rule out the XC60 yet.

There is one for sale which is fairly nice.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/volvo/xc60/newmarket/ontario/5_61749391_20120130165014542/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=2_5_7&pc=L4H%203C9&sprx=-2&modalXS=1

Just keep in mind the XC60 is a cruiser, not a handler. Ride is good but I have 18" wheels not the 20's. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 06:49:48 pm by ktm525 »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2024, 06:43:00 pm »
Compact SUV, 6 cylinder engine, good cargo space/versatility are the key words. It goes with out saying absolutely no CVT.
Well I guess that last part takes out my suggestion of the Nissan Murano.  Do you dislike the CVT due to the reliability or how they drive?  I don’t mind them in CUVs as I’m not exactly expecting “performance” from main stream CUVs, but I can understand if you feel differently.  I just say try one to see, as it can’t do any harm in looking.

I drove recent CVT cars and they've come a long way indeed. Absolutely fine for most use cases and buyers, just not for me on principle alone. And it's not about power, but power delivery. I still don't like the "character" of these transmissions.
Then, there is the design which doesn't resonate with me.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2024, 06:48:56 pm »
What's our budget?  ;D

New? I would look at a Honda Passport

Used? My two cents on the XC60. Only buy the T6 (3.0L turbo six cylinder) as it did not have any piston ring issues. So far it has been dead reliable.

Engine is nothing to be scared of, very well designed. Not the most efficient but keep your foot out of it and it's not bad. Engine is a gem gem gem.
Most 2015/16s were loaded up with features., The city safety (similar to Subaru eyesight) works well.
Cargo area seems big enough? Second row folds flat and at 6'2" I can lie diagonally in it. It seems to carry 4 adults fine.
Part prices seem reasonable versus Land Rover.
Lots of them around.

Check above windshield for rust. I have a few hard rock chips that are weeping rust. Mine got highwayed a lot. No rust anywhere else or underneath. At 8 years that's a good sign.

Budget under $25K on the road but not set in stone. The cheaper the better.

Like I said, I like the old XC60 and the T6 is the only one I would consider, but the main draw back is the rather small cargo space (or so I see it). I guess now that I'm seriously looking at the options, I may need to get the measuring tape out to see what's what.

Believe it or not, the main reason I want an SUV is utility and all weather capability. An SUV without these attributes makes no sense to me. I can't care less for performance aside for a nice, smooth 6 cylinder engine. Gas consumption is not a big concern for me. I just want to enjoy a 6-cyl ICE for a little longer before they go extinct.

The XC60 being a MY older it's even cheaper which is welcomed. I didn't completely rule out the XC60 yet.

There is one for sale which is fairly nice.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/volvo/xc60/newmarket/ontario/5_61749391_20120130165014542/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=2_5_7&pc=L4H%203C9&sprx=-2&modalXS=1

Just keep in mind the SC60 is a cruiser, not a handler. Ride is good but I have 18" wheels not the 20's.

It's an SUV... Handling is not very high on the priority list for me. Besides, the wife will drive it most of the time, and she wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

This is where my dilemma has been all along - the X3 checks all the boxes, but the XC60 checks most of them too plus I wouldn't mind the experience of another brand.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2024, 06:50:14 pm »
Compact SUV, 6 cylinder engine, good cargo space/versatility are the key words. It goes with out saying absolutely no CVT.
Well I guess that last part takes out my suggestion of the Nissan Murano.  Do you dislike the CVT due to the reliability or how they drive?  I don’t mind them in CUVs as I’m not exactly expecting “performance” from main stream CUVs, but I can understand if you feel differently.  I just say try one to see, as it can’t do any harm in looking.
I think that’s fair and you’ll likely eventually have to get a CVT/EV in the future, so no need to rush into it.
I drove recent CVT cars and they've come a long way indeed. Absolutely fine for most use cases and buyers, just not for me on principle alone. And it's not about power, but power delivery. I still don't like the "character" of these transmissions.
Then, there is the design which doesn't resonate with me.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2024, 07:03:07 pm »
I am surprised how close in size they are. The X3 has grown through the years? I would think the X3 is going to drive nicer but who knows. Try to get a drive in both and pick what you like.  FWIW my kids all love driving the XC60 because it is easy to see and drive.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2024, 07:50:18 pm »
I am surprised how close in size they are. The X3 has grown through the years? I would think the X3 is going to drive nicer but who knows. Try to get a drive in both and pick what you like.  FWIW my kids all love driving the XC60 because it is easy to see and drive.

The X3 certainly grew in size compared to the previous gen (E83) which is one of the reasons I'm looking at the F25 and particularly LCI (2015-2017). I don't think there is a significant difference in size between F25 and G01 (2018+), at least not visually, but I might be wrong.
The F25 is just the right size from my perspective. The XC60 is also right sized, but to my eyes, the cargo area seems a bit smaller.

BTW - do the rear seats slide and/or recline in the XC60?

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2024, 08:56:18 pm »

The X3 certainly grew in size compared to the previous gen (E83) which is one of the reasons I'm looking at the F25 and particularly LCI (2015-2017). I don't think there is a significant difference in size between F25 and G01 (2018+), at least not visually, but I might be wrong.
The F25 is just the right size from my perspective. The XC60 is also right sized, but to my eyes, the cargo area seems a bit smaller.

Could also consider a 2015+ Touareg V6. Not that much bigger in length compared to the XC60 at 188 inches vs 185 inches for the XC60. Maybe even Cayenne V6 too but I would imagine you would pay more for the Porsche name.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2024, 09:32:58 pm »

Could also consider a 2015+ Touareg V6. Not that much bigger in length compared to the XC60 at 188 inches vs 185 inches for the XC60. Maybe even Cayenne V6 too but I would imagine you would pay more for the Porsche name.

I briefly looked at both of these, but for some reason they feel bigger than what the numbers suggest. Both nice cars though. I was looking at 2014 Cayenne V6 and occasionally you can find units with average mileage for mid-high $20Ks which is not too bad... I'm thinking Porsche is a bit too flashy for me and potentially more expensive to maintain as it ages.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2024, 10:02:19 pm »
Used Grand Cherokee with the V6? I'd probably lean that way....High trim levels had really nice interiors, that PentaStar is a known entity and cheap to run, and the previous generation looks great compared to the latest one.

Edit: Also worth noting that the ride quality in the Grand Cherokee far exceeds the X3 or Q5....Not sure on the XC60, but I suspect it's going to ride more like the GC.
How did this suggestion get ignored? A nice Limited with the V6, no air ride would be perfect. And cheap to run & repair when needed.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2024, 10:13:06 pm »
Used Grand Cherokee with the V6? I'd probably lean that way....High trim levels had really nice interiors, that PentaStar is a known entity and cheap to run, and the previous generation looks great compared to the latest one.

Edit: Also worth noting that the ride quality in the Grand Cherokee far exceeds the X3 or Q5....Not sure on the XC60, but I suspect it's going to ride more like the GC.
How did this suggestion get ignored? A nice Limited with the V6, no air ride would be perfect. And cheap to run & repair when needed.

My head is spinning buddy.... need a break. I actually quite like the new GC but not so much the old ones. I was building a no frills 2024 Laredo few weeks ago and I really like you can get CLOTH seats and no sunroof, 17" wheels... But the size is kind of a buzz killer.... I want a compact SUV...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2024, 10:13:58 pm »
What's with all the interest in BC cars these days?

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2024, 10:14:26 pm »

I am guessing it is too big.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2024, 10:15:52 pm »
What's with all the interest in BC cars these days?

No salt... cleaner underbody.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2024, 10:26:12 pm »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2024, 10:27:55 pm »

My head is spinning buddy.... need a break. I actually quite like the new GC but not so much the old ones. I was building a no frills 2024 Laredo few weeks ago and I really like you can get CLOTH seats and no sunroof, 17" wheels... But the size is kind of a buzz killer.... I want a compact SUV...

The current gen does nothing for me, but the previous gen is IMO a vehicle that a lot of people are sleeping on. It dates back to the Daimler days, so lots of Mercedes influence in the chassis, so the steering and ride quality and even the handling are outstanding for what it was....the current gen is a big step back in that regard IMO. The 3.6L is a reliable steed, parts are cheap and plentiful, and a fully loaded Limited or Summit (though I think the Summit locks you into the air ride stuff) blows an X3 out of the water in terms of refinement. You also get Jeeps 4x4 system, which again, far surpasses the others mentioned here.   

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2024, 10:34:38 pm »
After my experience with my last Dodge Dakota and the sleazy Dodge dealer I promised myself I would never own a Jeep/Mopar product again. I would think about breaking it for the right vehicle though.  ;D

Just so much sleaze.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2024, 10:40:38 pm »

The current gen does nothing for me, but the previous gen is IMO a vehicle that a lot of people are sleeping on. It dates back to the Daimler days, so lots of Mercedes influence in the chassis, so the steering and ride quality and even the handling are outstanding for what it was....the current gen is a big step back in that regard IMO. The 3.6L is a reliable steed, parts are cheap and plentiful, and a fully loaded Limited or Summit (though I think the Summit locks you into the air ride stuff) blows an X3 out of the water in terms of refinement. You also get Jeeps 4x4 system, which again, far surpasses the others mentioned here.
Summit does get you air ride as does the Overland, that's why I suggested a Limited.

Like this... though I get it might be larger than what Dante is thinking.

http://www.autotrader.ca/go/5-61894174

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2024, 10:47:54 pm »
After my experience with my last Dodge Dakota and the sleazy Dodge dealer I promised myself I would never own a Jeep/Mopar product again. I would think about breaking it for the right vehicle though.  ;D

Just so much sleaze.

Yeah, a few colleagues at work had JGCs (2014+ era), and both were quite unreliable. One was a HEMI that knocked like crazy. Cylinder deactivation kills those HEMIs from what I recall. The other one was a EcoDiesel, which was a real POS from what I remember constantly having issues. A Pentastar in a base trim with few gimmicks is probably the best option from a reliability standpoint, but still a Jeep at the end of the day.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2024, 10:54:18 pm »

Just so much sleaze.

Yeah, a few colleagues at work had JGCs (2014+ era), and both were quite unreliable. One was a HEMI that knocked like crazy. Cylinder deactivation kills those HEMIs from what I recall. The other one was a EcoDiesel, which was a real POS from what I remember constantly having issues. A Pentastar in a base trim with few gimmicks is probably the best option from a reliability standpoint, but still a Jeep at the end of the day.

I got rid of my EcoDiesel after 41 months of ownership. Gave me a couple headaches, but nothing catastrophic. Thankfully I got out from under it while it still had great value & used that equity towards my Passport.