Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 825552 times)

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #2160 on: March 19, 2017, 06:31:49 pm »
Logan

Awesome.

On the dish last night: Independence Day - Resurgence.

Yeah...no.  No wonder Will Smith passed.

Ditto on Resurgence.  I watched it on Netflix Tuesday night.   We were supposed to go see a movie but were walloped by a massive snow storm.  That's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.   :hurl: :shake:

That movie rates a 10 out of 10 on the Crap Movie Meter.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #2161 on: March 19, 2017, 07:01:18 pm »
Train to Busan

I saw this South Korean zombie movie with  friend of mine, who loves zombie movies. He watched it to the end, even though we watched it with subtitles and it was 2 hours long: a good recommendation, I think.

Now on Netflix for anybody that wants to see this. I've added it to my watch later list.

:)

^^If he loves zombie flicks, have him check out The Girl With All The Gifts.

Will look out for that - I've heard good things about it.

For anyone who likes foreign musical/comedy/dramas out there, I can also recommend the South Korean film Miss Granny, my favorite film in the last little while. (The main actress is wonderful.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdF8fipHGMs

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #2162 on: March 23, 2017, 05:01:43 pm »
Mrs. Random and I went to see "Hidden Figures" last night.  We both enjoyed it immensely.

I'm not sure what was more jaw dropping to us:  the inherent racism of the time or the inherent sexism of the time.  Both are on display here in full measure and are a testament to what a woman of colour had to go through to be heard and respected.

It also added a new dimension to the story of the NASA story, one that I did not know even though I was a huge fan of the space program ever since I was a little boy, watching the lunar landing.

Stellar performances by all concerned.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2163 on: March 24, 2017, 08:24:58 pm »
Pretty much as far from the latest movie that you could possibly imagine, and please don't flame me, but... I'm watching The Godfather for the very first time in its entirety.  Yes, I had heard all the cultural references over the decades, and the famous quotes, but they never meant anything to me.  I just knew that it was a much-revered work of art, but had never taken the time to actually watch it from beginning to end.  As a Goodfellas slappy, I am ashamed of myself.   ;D

Considering how old it is, I am amazed by the way it still resonates.  Brando was quite something in that role - underacting and understatement that spoke volumes, with an amazing ensemble cast.  I'd give it two thumbs up, but I'd be almost 50 years too late.   :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: March 24, 2017, 08:27:09 pm »
Part 2 is good also. Part 3 less so...But still should watch it.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #2165 on: March 24, 2017, 11:38:38 pm »
^. This!  One of the few movies where the sequel was as good as the original, but part 3 was mediocre by comparison. 

Once Upon A Time In America was a pretty epic gangster film as well.  I think it was around 6 hours long though.  I also like The Cotton Club, but more because of the soundtrack than the movie itself. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2166 on: March 25, 2017, 11:32:59 am »
I too had not watched the whole Godfather movie until a couple of years ago.  Much more interesting than I thought it would be.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #2167 on: March 25, 2017, 01:57:40 pm »
Pretty much as far from the latest movie that you could possibly imagine, and please don't flame me, but... I'm watching The Godfather for the very first time in its entirety.  Yes, I had heard all the cultural references over the decades, and the famous quotes, but they never meant anything to me.  I just knew that it was a much-revered work of art, but had never taken the time to actually watch it from beginning to end.  As a Goodfellas slappy, I am ashamed of myself.   ;D

Considering how old it is, I am amazed by the way it still resonates.  Brando was quite something in that role - underacting and understatement that spoke volumes, with an amazing ensemble cast.  I'd give it two thumbs up, but I'd be almost 50 years too late.   :rofl2:

It's a remarkable piece of work and deserves its place on the American Film Institute's Top 100 greatest American films of all time.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2168 on: March 25, 2017, 02:09:28 pm »

It's a remarkable piece of work and deserves its place on the American Film Institute's Top 100 greatest American films of all time.

I was sad, the day I donated my Godfather box set on VHS.  I loved collecting boxsets when I was younger, because I still am young!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: March 26, 2017, 05:51:36 am »
Well, this is the movie for us car nuts!  "The 24 Hour War" is the documentary of Ford going to LeMans to beat Ferrari. And it's fantastic! A who's who of manufacturers, racers, mechanics and engineers of the time.

Not just a great car movie, but a great documentary.

A must see for any car lover!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #2170 on: March 27, 2017, 12:37:49 am »

We just watched Manchester by the Sea. It's really, really good but also incredibly sad.

Watched it last night, also thought it was great, but very sad. Affleck does a great job.

Great film but could have been 30 minutes shorter...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:41:45 am by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #2171 on: March 27, 2017, 12:41:16 am »
Train to Busan

I saw this South Korean zombie movie with  friend of mine, who loves zombie movies. He watched it to the end, even though we watched it with subtitles and it was 2 hours long: a good recommendation, I think.

Now on Netflix for anybody that wants to see this. I've added it to my watch later list.

Watched it last night -- trains and zombies -- what's not to love?

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: March 27, 2017, 12:46:26 am »
Saw 'Life' last week.  The second best part was Ryan Reynolds dying within the first 10 or so minutes...

Also saw 'Lion' recently - very moving, cried my eyes out.

'Moonlight' was fantastic, but kinda chickened out at the very end...

'Cure for Wellness' was a great creepy ride, but like 'Arrival' betrayed its strong female character by having her depend on a man at the end... 

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: March 27, 2017, 08:49:14 am »
Saw 'Life' last week.  The second best part was Ryan Reynolds dying within the first 10 or so minutes...

Duh!  Spoiler alert!  10 minutes in!!  Why is he even on the press tour?  Maybe he's not...10 minutes...hardly worth showing up for work.

We rented Allied this weekend.  Liked it.  Not a happy ending...I mean can you imagine moving to Medicine Hat??!!  :P  Kidding.  Other than their overzealous speed and crime hating cops, what's not to like?  Really good movie overall.  Not action packed but no one left their seats thinking "way to go dad...another dud... :P :-X ::)"  Like say when we (and by we I mean my wife but I didn't say no) chose Jungle Book (non-animated version - what a POS), even I didn't finish it and I always finish watching what we rent...because...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2174 on: March 27, 2017, 08:55:29 am »

We just watched Manchester by the Sea. It's really, really good but also incredibly sad.

Watched it last night, also thought it was great, but very sad. Affleck does a great job.

We watched it on the weekend and both thought it was a good movie but didn't love it at all and can't understand all the awards. Many friends also thought the same thing.

Train to Busan

Agree. What more can you do for a zombie movie.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2175 on: March 27, 2017, 09:29:20 am »

We watched it on the weekend and both thought it was a good movie but didn't love it at all and can't understand all the awards. Many friends also thought the same thing.

Train to Busan

Agree. What more can you do for a zombie movie.

It was an OK movie, but so slow, I would not good out of my way to see it again

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
You're an addict, so be addicted. Just be addicted to something else.
« Reply #2176 on: March 27, 2017, 03:48:03 pm »
OMG OMG OMG!  This opens here on the 31st!!!  Been waiting ever since the trailer was released worldwide on November 3rd!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EsozpEE543w

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: You're an addict, so be addicted. Just be addicted to something else.
« Reply #2177 on: March 27, 2017, 03:52:48 pm »
OMG OMG OMG!  This opens here on the 31st!!!  Been waiting ever since the trailer was released worldwide on November 3rd!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EsozpEE543w

X2, the wife and I cannot wait either!!!!

Watched hidden figures last night, highly recommend it, great movie.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #2178 on: March 27, 2017, 04:18:44 pm »
Watched the McQueen / LeMans documentary on Netflix last night. Good stuff, worth a watch. Among other things, it hammered home how much of a Porsche guy he was. I didn't know much about LeMans the movie and I still haven't watched, definitely need to now. [EDIT, I just redacted a comment i made here about something that happens in the film - even though it's a historical documentary, I'll leave it out so people can watch it / learn for themselves. But the crux of it was, my opinion of McQueen is not as high as it once was.]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:22:11 pm by lebowski »

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2179 on: March 27, 2017, 07:33:08 pm »
Just finished bawling my eyes out watching Spirit Unforgettable, the documentary about John Mann from Spirit of the West, who has early-onset Alzheimer's.  He's about the same age as Gord Downie, too.  Fack. :-\

https://www.viff.org/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=f20984-spirit-unforgettable&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=