Author Topic: Long-Term Review: 2018 Skoda Fabia "Ambition"  (Read 2966 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Long-Term Review: 2018 Skoda Fabia "Ambition"
« on: March 16, 2018, 06:25:24 am »
So starting off my new life in Europe, we've been motoring along in a brand-new, VW Polo.....um, I mean its Czech-built cousin, the Skoda Fabia. Really, mostly the same car, just some different badges and a lower price point. But hey, new rental car is nice ! That new car smell eminating from the black cloth seats, rental car white with 16" wheels with hubcaps- ok not visually exciting. but its new ! Came with just 110km on the clock, so I had to break-in properly, but we're past that now. I'll still have another month or so with the car, so perhaps future updates are in store.

After just under a month, we've covered 2000km including a long weekend trip to Strasbourg and a few day trips to other cities in the Rhein/Main region. And it's not been a bad ride. Basically, this is the "Toyota Corolla" of subcompacts. It does everything its supposed to without fuss, it's practical, it's not a bad drive, it's spacious for the class, and it's well-appointed for a reasonable. So for those of you who value solely these attributes in your transportation vehicle, look no further. Starting at just over 12 k€ and as-tested "Ambition" line with a few optional extras just over 20 k€, it's good value for what you get.

For those interested in other things, read on.

As a function of my mother unable to operate a manual transmission, this rental was equipped with the 7-DSG (dry clutch system) and the 1,0 TSI engine. The 7-speeds are excellent in making the most of the 110PS while maintaining a good highway cruise, but there's no mistaking it for the wet-clutch DSG systems found in North America. Despite my general skill with such gearboxes, 3 situations where the 7-DSG gets sketchy.
  • Roundabouts
  • 3-point turns (Ha! Good luck)
  • Frequent start-stops, in conjunction with the Auto start-stop

The 3-cyl motor itself is good, if not particularly powerful compared to 125PS and 130PS variants offered by Ford and PSA, respectively. This car excels at urban driving and sips fuel, with a low consumption of 7 l/100km in urban driving and 5,1 in rural routes. On the autoroutes, it'll hold its own but you're asking for trouble above 130, where the right pedal just makes more noise and little acceleration, and fuel consumption rises sharply. Generally the drive is vibration-free, and the drivetrain doesn't make itself heard or felt.

The chassis isn't as taut as I'd like, but on rural roads it's best described as competent. The light steering doesn't offer much feel but is accurate, the brakes are reassuringly firm, and the body motions are held in check despite the standard suspension offering a fair amount of roll. The plus side is that on the cobbled urban streets, impacts are fully absorbed without fuss. At speeds exceeding 170, the overall feel remains solid as a subcompact can be (way better than a Fiat 500). No mistaking this for a sporty variant though.

Inside, it’s pretty much the same story. The seats are comfortable for short trips, but beyond an hour, you’re ready to shift and shuffle around. The passenger seat feels perched too high (height adjustment is optional), and the rear seat is best left for kids on short hops.  Boot space is acceptable for this class, if not particularly roomy for larger suitcases. The optional climate control works well and the engine gets things up to temperature quickly, but the fan is on the loud side. Controls are logically lid out and nothing rattles, but the plastics remind you you’re in a budget-conscious Skoda, not it’s slightly more expensive Polo cousin, and there's zero design or flair inside. Wind noise becomes a bit prevelant above 130.

The infotainment system works well, similar to that you would find in a modern VW Golf or Polo. The touchscreen doesn't work with gloves, but responds to swipes and commands quickly. Annoyingly, a lot of basic things like adjusting the instrument panel brightness are now shoved into the settings as well (no manual switch). It also integrates Phone/SMS reading and responding into the Infotainment system as well. The theme of "Boringly Competent" continues here too.

And because it’s boring, the small niggles start to surface. The rain-sensing wipers work fine, but you hear the click from the wiper relay when it's on intermittent. The optional centre armrest just gets in the way, so I leave it flipped up most the time. The lack of steering controls makes adjusting audio or accepting calls more distracting than necessary, and the trip computer controls get relegated to the wiper stalk, making toggling thru menus difficult. The wipers themselves work too slowly. The Front Assist Forward Collision mitigation system, while working well when sensing an imminent collision, is overly aggressive at reminding the driver of maintaining distance- it displays a ! if following too close.

So in sum, the Skoda Fabia is on paper, the ideal car if you value practicality, value-for-money, and low running costs. It’s also devoid of any personality. As a result, I really can’t recommend it except if you place emphasis solely on such things. And if those attributes are all that you’re looking for in a vehicle……well *yawn* *Zzzzzzzzzz*

Summary: A competent car that does everything well. No more, no less.
+ Engine
+ Well-priced at lower trim levels
+ Spacious in its class
- Low-speed behaviour from 7-speed DSG
- Anonymous styling
- Devoid of personality

Some Technical details:
Engine: 1.0 litre petrol, 3-cylinder direct-injected turbocharged
Max Output: 110 PS @ 5000-5500 1/min
Torque: 200 Nm @ 2250-3550 1/min
Acceleration 0-100 km/h: 9,8s
Vmax: 196 km/h

130km/h in 7th gear: 2800 1/min
Observed fuel consumption combined (rural): 6,2 (5,1) l/100km
CO² emissions: 106 g/km
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:31:03 am by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Long-Term Review: 2018 Skoda Fabia "Ambition"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 08:18:13 am »
Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I'm always interested in seeing what cars are common elsewhere but not sold here.....maybe an idea for a series of AT articles?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 09:15:26 am »
Nice write up. I had one of these in Norway in 2009. Worked very well for what it was.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 09:34:12 am »
I'd be interested if there was a GTI version of the VW Polo offered in NA.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 10:06:43 am »
No heated steering wheel?!   :rofl2:

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 10:36:08 am »
No heated steering wheel?!   :rofl2:
It has seat heating though ! But no adjustable lumbar support.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 11:14:49 am »
I rented a 2017 Skoda Rapid (hatchback) when I was in the UK last year.  I rented it for 28 days and put nearly 2500 miles on it.  You could tell it was part of the VW family as it was very similar to a 2013 VW I rented for 21 days when I was in Ireland back in 2014.  I think it was a 1.2L petrol engine with DSG, navigation and auto climate control.  Found some odd things like a dial type switch on the dash for the lights, the 12V socket was on the console right next to the hand-brake.

I did not know it would come with built-in navigation, but I took my own Garmin with me for the holiday as all my daily drives were already entered in the unit before I left on the trip.  I averaged per tank from 44-49 mpg (imperial) and paid £1.17-1.22 per litre (approx. $1.65-1.70 exchange at the time).

It seemed to have plenty of power, lots of back seat legroom and large cargo area (with the seats up), however it had a very large turning circle.  On some of the many back roads (paved ditches) I drove on in Cornwall and Devon, I wish I had a smaller vehicle.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:17:34 am by conwelpic »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 06:48:49 pm »
A bit of an acceleration clip here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UuhkneUY9jrRwnnLlOjIB7Ome02OF_JL

• The engine is tuned for mid-range torque, so around town it's punchy but not a top-end thriller. Sufficient merging power though
  • Left in normal Drive, you can see how quickly it wants to get into the higher gears. 5th gear ("D5") by 45 km/h

Having 7-speeds is helpful in getting the most out of small displacement engines though without sacrificing cruising revs.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:50:22 pm by mlin32 »

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 10:21:24 am »
Nice write-up.  We just spent two weeks using this car in Ireland, but ours had the manual transmission, and base trim.  No screen in the dashboard.  Just simple radio and AC controls.  As you said, nothing fancy, but competent.  We were able to fit two medium to large suitcases in the back plus a backpack. 

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 09:05:44 pm »
Nice right up, but I have to ask. If it's a rental why would you care about the break in?
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 10:21:15 am »
Nice right up, but I have to ask. If it's a rental why would you care about the break in?
Cuz I generally don't abuse things even if they're not mine. That's the way I was taught growing up. Plus, the DSG can be fragile.

So, road-trip update: Currently the km-stand is at 4200 after a week-long trip to Dijon. A 5,5h drive one-way, and now some more impressions.

The good +:
  • Slightly improving fuel consumption
  • Great urban car for parking and blasting down alleyways
  • Boxy shape means great for loading up apartment furnishings[\li]
The bad
  • Lack of steering wheel controls = distracting
  • Only average comfort
  • 7-DSG stumbles continue

Fuel consumption at a steady 130-140km/h was quite good on slightly hilly terrain, averaging around 5,8 l on E10, and in the city it remains thrifty. However, the start-stop mechanism still makes the 7-speed DSG sometimes lurchy if you try to get going in a hurry. Especially in France where the traffic signals are normal (red to green), I simply turned the system off or held the brake pedal lightly to keep the engine running.

The lack of steering wheel controls makes for frustration. You can't really manoeuvre while on calls if the Infotainment is on music/media, and it just makes simple tasks like adjusting volume and track distracting, poking around thru menus on the touchscreen.

The wiper motor seems weak; the interval via the rain sensor is fine, but during the spring showers, the wiper action struggles to keep up compared to nearly every other car I've driven. Plus, hearing the tick of the wiper relay makes the car feel cheap.

The cabin could be quieter on the autoroutes (already mentioned), but it's a Skoda, I guess.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 05:55:21 pm »
So, a final report as I said au revoir to the Fabia this evening in Trier (Trèves), at the German border. I'm en route to picking up my own car in Luxembourg, but obviously, I have to return the vehicle within the same country from which I rented it.

In nearly 3 months, I put 8700km on the vehicle. Nothing has gone wrong, nothing rattles, and no faults. Just reliable transportation. It really is an A to B, urban transport sort of vehicle, with low fuel running costs, consumption, and reasonable room for 2. I wouldn't really put people in the backseat for anything more than cross-city stints though, as room back there isn't stellar like most superminis. And for long journeys, the seats and space just aren't stellar, but I think this is par for the class.

The fuel consumption settled downwards a bit, like most German vehicles. My long term averages were usually right in the mid 5s, and my flat rural commute usually nets me right around 4,2 l/100km, which is as good as my motorcycle.  :o

My niggles with the DSG remain. It's a clever, efficient box. But sometimes at roundabouts or when doing 3-point turns, it simply doesn't respond. Plus, some of the mechanical noises make their presence known (the occasional clunk) which has me wondering about the longevity if you put some serious kms on the vehicle, like over 150k.

But it's so devoid of personality. Of course, I was slightly sad to say good-bye after so many adventures and kilometres. But I never really *wanted* to drive it. From a technical standpoint it's fine, I just never loved it- it was basically an appliance.  :sleep:

So would I recommend it ? Probably not. If someone wanted just an A-to-B appliance, then sure, I'd recommend it (with a manual gearbox). But otherwise.....no.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 06:15:44 pm »
So how much did a 3month rental cost?

Also I noted you mentioned your mom. Did she move there too?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 02:35:40 am »
So how much did a 3month rental cost?

Also I noted you mentioned your mom. Did she move there too?
The total cost was around 1800€. Things got complicated the last few weeks because I kept extending week-by-week, not knowing when I'd pick up my car.

My mother was here until mid April. The idea was to help me settle in, but given how long it took to get the basic things in order......wasn't able to help out that much. Was quite difficult for her in Germany, not knowing the language and culture and customs.