Author Topic: Best All Season Tire for Snow  (Read 9036 times)

robarakira

Best All Season Tire for Snow
« on: December 10, 2005, 01:00:31 pm »
Nokian WR's are a touch too expensive.  What are my all season alternatives?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Best All Season Tire for Snow
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 01:03:47 pm »
 Victoria BUS Trans...cheapy arse....!!!!! 8)..Dunlop M3 would be better fer Victoria and still get ya to the ski_hills....skip a day or two of lift tickets,LATTE's,Ciggies OR heaven FORBID STELLAS  and yer GOOD TA GO.....talk ta yer bank manager if ya must....... :(
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 01:05:44 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

crolly

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 01:06:54 pm »
V-rated winter tires would do what the Nokian WRs can... try 'em.

Low cost alternatives are Hankooks and Kuhmos

robarakira

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 01:09:53 pm »
I would like to stay away from deticated winter tires considering how little use they would get, also how quickly they would wear.  I think what I would need are all-seasons with good and deep tread.

...I'll think about it.

tc.xmen

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 04:09:20 pm »
I would like to stay away from deticated winter tires considering how little use they would get, also how quickly they would wear.  I think what I would need are all-seasons with good and deep tread.

...I'll think about it.

BFGoodrich Traction T/A.  I used them last winter and they performed decently.
But this winter I bought dedicated snow tires and am glad I did.

morty

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 11:48:08 pm »
FYI...the Nokian WR is a dedicated winter tire in Europe, just marketed as an A/S in North America. The suggestion of going with a performance rated winter is a good one. If you are concerned about snow, cold weather and/or black ice winter tire is the only way to go. The best A/S is not a substitue for a dedicated snow tire. You say you dont want to spend too much, but if you get in one accident it will cost you substantially more than the best set of snow tires.

If you can park in the snow conditions then the Traction T/A has been a popular choice.

ghost

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 11:53:39 pm »
hey what about the michelin exalto A/S? It has good ratings on tirerack.com

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 01:15:31 am »
A second set of wheels will also extend the life of the first set. Just the added cost of the four wheels in the long run.

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

robarakira

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 01:35:34 pm »
Given our weather:

http://weather.ca/weather/stats/pages/C02046.htm?CABC0313

How quickly would a V rated winter tire wear compared to something like the Traction T/As if used for the winter season?

Twice as fast?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 02:25:23 pm »
I'm guessing here..but I'd say a third less wear...the M3's have a decent wear rating and UNLESS yer really hammering it down the 80 degree plus Summer Hi_ways(never seen on V Island!!?) I'm sure you'd do fine with most (check their wear rating) winter V's.........I bet by next Winter we will see a BIG UPSURGE in this category(Winter CrossOvers!!?..) Mort what say U...folk (average folk) don't like fackin' 'bout wif different tyres and changing over stuff...yeah THAT's LIFE in the new Milleneum.....

robarakira

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 09:15:18 pm »
Random news facts

8 of the last 65 Christmas' here on the South West Coast have had some snow on the ground, the warmest Christmas was almost 14 degrees.

As much as I want to see snow, not having to use winters is a plus.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 10:43:18 pm »