Author Topic: My new to me unicorn FGC  (Read 25552 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: My new to me unicorn FGC
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2022, 01:18:34 pm »
I think I posted this before, but the hobby/toy car market is definitely slowing down. Basic transportation is still high, and will remain that way until new car availability comes back around and interest rates start to level out or drop off. People need to get around, and if you can't get / can't afford a new car, you've got no choice to to shop used.

Repossessions are way up too as people who over extended for a new car, or overpaid for something because they needed it right away (I am looking at those Toyota buyers paying MSRP +50% or whatever for RAV4s and Highlanders) come to the realization that they can't afford the payments in the current economy and have no way out as the vehicle isn't worth anything near what they owe. That'll feed more supply on the newer/pricier end of the market, and create more demand on the bottom end....$3000 beaters will be real tough to come by.

Are you referring to US or Canada?

Both, I think? I am not sure there's anything materially different in the Canadian car market that would cause it to behave differently than the US? On an aggregate basis at least, I get that there are some states with wonky rules on this stuff.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2022, 01:48:55 pm »
I think I posted this before, but the hobby/toy car market is definitely slowing down. Basic transportation is still high, and will remain that way until new car availability comes back around and interest rates start to level out or drop off. People need to get around, and if you can't get / can't afford a new car, you've got no choice to to shop used.

Repossessions are way up too as people who over extended for a new car, or overpaid for something because they needed it right away (I am looking at those Toyota buyers paying MSRP +50% or whatever for RAV4s and Highlanders) come to the realization that they can't afford the payments in the current economy and have no way out as the vehicle isn't worth anything near what they owe. That'll feed more supply on the newer/pricier end of the market, and create more demand on the bottom end....$3000 beaters will be real tough to come by.

Both, I think? I am not sure there's anything materially different in the Canadian car market that would cause it to behave differently than the US? On an aggregate basis at least, I get that there are some states with wonky rules on this stuff.

Just curious as I haven’t seen Canadian stats.

Canadians are more likely to just continue paying and sucking it up. Americans more likely to waive goodbye at the repo guy as he leaves their driveway.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2022, 01:58:42 pm »

Just curious as I haven’t seen Canadian stats.

Canadians are more likely to just continue paying and sucking it up. Americans more likely to waive goodbye at the repo guy as he leaves their driveway.

lol, likely, but you can't get blood from a turnip, as they say. If Mr.Canadian doesn't have the money to pay it, he's not going be able to suck it up and pay.

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2022, 03:00:44 pm »
Good to hear the car has been good to you. Mine was too so far and like you, don't plan to get rid of it any time soon. I'm about 10K km behind you but I'm sure will catch up in the next few months as it's my DD now....

Speaking of unicorns.... Here's the unicorn of all unicorns... It popped up on Autotrader about 2 weeks ago...

http://www.autotrader.ca/go/19-12320350

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2022, 03:04:51 pm »
Drool.  Peak wagon?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2022, 04:04:48 pm »
Good to hear the car has been good to you. Mine was too so far and like you, don't plan to get rid of it any time soon. I'm about 10K km behind you but I'm sure will catch up in the next few months as it's my DD now....

Speaking of unicorns.... Here's the unicorn of all unicorns... It popped up on Autotrader about 2 weeks ago...

Wow, what a great colour combo. That's not an Executive Edition since it has the sport seats, and I don't think Tasman Green was available in Canada that year so I'm guessing it's a U.S. import. No iDrive so it's not quite as loaded as mine but it looks to be in amazing shape.

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2022, 05:50:05 pm »

Wow, what a great colour combo. That's not an Executive Edition since it has the sport seats, and I don't think Tasman Green was available in Canada that year so I'm guessing it's a U.S. import. No iDrive so it's not quite as loaded as mine but it looks to be in amazing shape.

You are right... Same thing crossed my mind. Either US or 2010. It's Premium +Sport package not Executive. Nevertheless this is a very, very rare combo plus a wagon.

Funny thing there is another one available now which was my ideal combo (same Premium+Sport but black sedan), but unspecified km.... Oh well.... Happy with what I've got still.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 29, 2022, 09:01:34 am »

You are right... Same thing crossed my mind. Either US or 2010. It's Premium +Sport package not Executive. Nevertheless this is a very, very rare combo plus a wagon.

Funny thing there is another one available now which was my ideal combo (same Premium+Sport but black sedan), but unspecified km.... Oh well.... Happy with what I've got still.

Actually, we're wrong. It is Canadian spec. Found this in the 2011 3-series order guide:

To minimize ordering complexity and improve customer value, the following options will only be available as a Special Order:
Paint Finishes
Bluewater Metallic (896)
Montego Blue Metallic (A51)
Platinum Bronze Metallic (A53)
Crimson Red Metallic (A61)
Tasman Metallic (A81)
Havanna Metallic (A17) (Coupé & Cabriolet only)

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #148 on: July 29, 2022, 09:40:55 am »
Also, one of the pics in the ad shows km for the speedometer. Unless that's something that's easily changed in these cars?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2024, 10:02:37 am »
I've now owned this car for just shy of four years. It's the longest I've ever had a car. In general it's been a great car for us. Have had to make a few repairs to it but mostly wear and tear items (brakes and suspension).

The issue is rust. I now have rust on all four fenders plus the hatch. On top of that, coming back from northern NB this winter we discovered that there's warm air blowing on the driver's side, but not the passenger side. Probably a partially blocked heater core.

So now the question is, what do I do with it? Mechanically it's mostly in great shape and it still drives really well. I'm tempted to fix the rust but am also concerned it will just come back in other areas. I can also leave it as is and drive it for another year before replacing it.

Not sure what I would get as a replacement. If I found the right Golf 4motion wagon, that could be a contender. Or a 2021 GTI in cornflower blue. Or a Benz wagon. Or something completely different. Who knows.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2024, 10:19:25 am »
How bad is the rust? You're probably looking at $3k at a minimum to repair it would be my guess. Then maybe get it rust proofed after to slow down any further rust problems. Heater core is a labour intensive job, so that's what's gonna kill you on that repair. But if you really like the car, then dump the cash into it & drive it for another 2 - 3yrs. If it's not too rusty at the end of that, you could still get some decent cash out of it.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2024, 10:23:20 am »
I've now owned this car for just shy of four years. It's the longest I've ever had a car. In general it's been a great car for us. Have had to make a few repairs to it but mostly wear and tear items (brakes and suspension).

The issue is rust. I now have rust on all four fenders plus the hatch. On top of that, coming back from northern NB this winter we discovered that there's warm air blowing on the driver's side, but not the passenger side. Probably a partially blocked heater core.

So now the question is, what do I do with it? Mechanically it's mostly in great shape and it still drives really well. I'm tempted to fix the rust but am also concerned it will just come back in other areas. I can also leave it as is and drive it for another year before replacing it.

Not sure what I would get as a replacement. If I found the right Golf 4motion wagon, that could be a contender. Or a 2021 GTI in cornflower blue. Or a Benz wagon. Or something completely different. Who knows.
4 years is a decent run for you, what is the mileage currently?  Maybe that might give a better idea of if it's worth repairing and keeping in the fleet long term.  There were quite a few manual 4motion Golf Wagons and that "raised" version sold during their time, not sure it would be the perfect replacement but it's not a bad option.  The Benz wagon would be cool I just worry about reliability of the newer ones.  A GTI seems like duplicating on a hot hatch you already have in the family.  Weren't you somewhat enamored with the idea of owning a Jeep Wrangler at one point, that would be somewhat unique for your vehicle ownership.  I know you have talked about a RWD sports car like a used Cayman or BMW M, but neither of those seem like they'd be able to handle the practicality of the 3 series wagon you are replacing.

I have heard the Civic hatchback has a pretty decent amount of cargo space, don't suppose you'd ever consider something like a Type R?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 10:26:42 am by JohnnyMac »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2024, 10:38:48 am »
That 'no heat on passenger side' issue sounds more like a blend door / blend door actuator issue than a heater core to me. Might be an easier fix than you think.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2024, 10:48:28 am »
That 'no heat on passenger side' issue sounds more like a blend door / blend door actuator issue than a heater core to me. Might be an easier fix than you think.

Hopefully, but from reading on the forums it sounds more like the heater core. It's due for an inspection in July so I'll have my shop look at it then.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2024, 10:49:36 am »
How bad is the rust? You're probably looking at $3k at a minimum to repair it would be my guess. Then maybe get it rust proofed after to slow down any further rust problems. Heater core is a labour intensive job, so that's what's gonna kill you on that repair. But if you really like the car, then dump the cash into it & drive it for another 2 - 3yrs. If it's not too rusty at the end of that, you could still get some decent cash out of it.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

It's mostly not too bad. One fender is getting to the point where I could probably shove my finger through it but the others are just bubbling. The tailgate is bubbling on one side below the glass.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2024, 10:56:56 am »

4 years is a decent run for you, what is the mileage currently?  Maybe that might give a better idea of if it's worth repairing and keeping in the fleet long term.  There were quite a few manual 4motion Golf Wagons and that "raised" version sold during their time, not sure it would be the perfect replacement but it's not a bad option.  The Benz wagon would be cool I just worry about reliability of the newer ones.  A GTI seems like duplicating on a hot hatch you already have in the family.  Weren't you somewhat enamored with the idea of owning a Jeep Wrangler at one point, that would be somewhat unique for your vehicle ownership.  I know you have talked about a RWD sports car like a used Cayman or BMW M, but neither of those seem like they'd be able to handle the practicality of the 3 series wagon you are replacing.

I have heard the Civic hatchback has a pretty decent amount of cargo space, don't suppose you'd ever consider something like a Type R?

It has 223k on it, I bought it with 178k or so.

In terms of practicality I want something that I can put four people plus luggage in for a trip to Montreal or Boston. A RWD sports car is not in the cards for the short term.

I do like the Golf but most of them that were sold were base models. The unicorn there is the 2018 Highline 4motion manual – the only year that combination was offered (there are 2019 Highlines too but they shifted the trim names around so it's really the equivalent of the earlier Comfortline).

I did consider the Wrangler, getting a PHEV would even be an option there if the price was right. But I'm not sure if I really want one anymore. Shoulda got one back in 2013 when they were cheap and I could have scratched that itch and suffered barely and depreciation. Oh well.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2024, 11:32:49 am »
Does it have to be a manual? What about a 2017+ A4 Allroad?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2024, 11:36:58 am »

A manual is not a hard requirement but I'm not really a fan of the lifted wagons. I could make an exception for an Allroad with the body color flares though.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2024, 11:42:55 am »

A manual is not a hard requirement but I'm not really a fan of the lifted wagons. I could make an exception for an Allroad with the body color flares though.

Ah, okay. I kind of figured as you left out the Golf Alltrack. Maybe a newer BMW wagon as well from 2017+ like a 330xi? Also have the E350/E400 and C300 wagons from Mercedes.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2024, 12:01:39 pm »

Ah, okay. I kind of figured as you left out the Golf Alltrack. Maybe a newer BMW wagon as well from 2017+ like a 330xi? Also have the E350/E400 and C300 wagons from Mercedes.

Yeah those wagons are all possibilities. I have a friend with a new E400 wagon, I'm visiting him this summer and will see if I can take it for a spin to see what it's like. An F31 would be decent too.