Author Topic: I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.  (Read 349091 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
« Reply #1280 on: March 22, 2017, 01:15:41 pm »
Just got a call from the dealership saying the car was ready. It was an intermittent fault in the right sensor. This is the sensor that was installed 21 days ago.  ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1142
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #1281 on: March 22, 2017, 01:31:38 pm »
Just got a call from the dealership saying the car was ready. It was an intermittent fault in the right sensor. This is the sensor that was installed 21 days ago.  ::)

They keep the old sensors removed in previous visits and just re-install them...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1282 on: March 22, 2017, 03:04:16 pm »
TWENTY ONE DAYS? Here's the email the dealer sent to MB "mothership:"

"We must immediately revise sensor part #xxxxx-xxxxx as it has lasted 21 days.  We can't fathom how an electronic device in a Mercedes SUV lasted this long.  If this keeps up, we will lose a significant revenue stream from the selling of these parts.  Please rectify this issue ASAP - 14 days maximum life-span is your goal."

;D

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 22, 2017, 04:34:58 pm »
Even Chinese electronics with free shipping last longer than that!

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #1284 on: March 22, 2017, 04:51:31 pm »
American build qwality !  ;D
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1285 on: March 22, 2017, 05:35:44 pm »

I bought a $10 or 15 dollar calculator like 15 years ago and it still works like a hot damn today even with everyday use.....by this thought, if I had bought a FGC (feckin German calculator) it would have cost me $500 and I would have been on my 15th one  :rofl2: :rofl2:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 22, 2017, 05:36:48 pm »

I bought a $10 or 15 dollar calculator like 15 years ago and it still works like a hot damn today even with everyday use.....by this thought, if I had bought a FGC (feckin German calculator) it would have cost me $500 and I would have been on my 15th one  :rofl2: :rofl2:

Guys are using $10 parking sensors on their Lexus and claim they work as good as the $$ OEM ones.  If one of my sensors dies, I'll be sure to try that route.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1287 on: March 22, 2017, 05:39:04 pm »

Guys are using $10 parking sensors on their Lexus and claim they work as good as the $$ OEM ones.  If one of my sensors dies, I'll be sure to try that route.

Thats great that there is a bargain option that actually works!!!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 22, 2017, 08:01:33 pm »

Thats great that there is a bargain option that actually works!!!

Yea..the $10 self closing door motors from Amazon work well too appraently..instead of buying a whole new contraption.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #1289 on: March 27, 2017, 05:37:15 pm »
I was directly behind a ML-550 on the way to work this morning and I noticed that the blind side warning lights were activating on both side mirrors as it slowed down to a stop.  They would come on when the vehicle slowed to ~ 10 km/h and would stay lit until it started rolling again, then same scenario at the next stop light.  At the first stop light the ML was the lead car, with the passenger side adjacent to the light pole, so that explains why that side would activate, but I can't imagine how that would cause the drivers side to activate.  At the next stop light there were no obstacles I could see that would cause them to activate.  Is this normal behavior for Mercedes blind side detection?

The blind side sensors on our Fusion will sometimes get activated by an adjacent object, such as a pole, but only on the relevant side, and not both sides at the same time. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 05:40:55 pm by KDS2K »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: March 27, 2017, 05:49:05 pm »
I was directly behind a ML-550 on the way to work this morning and I noticed that the blind side warning lights were activating on both side mirrors as it slowed down to a stop.  They would come on when the vehicle slowed to ~ 10 km/h and would stay lit until it started rolling again, then same scenario at the next stop light.  At the first stop light the ML was the lead car, with the passenger side adjacent to the light pole, so that explains why that side would activate, but I can't imagine how that would cause the drivers side to activate.  At the next stop light there were no obstacles I could see that would cause them to activate.  Is this normal behavior for Mercedes blind side detection?

The blind side sensors on our Fusion will sometimes get activated by an adjacent object, such as a pole, but only on the relevant side, and not both sides at the same time.

Were they flashing red or coming on steady amber? Flashing red is activated, having the amber just indicates the system is not operating because the speed is too low and is normal below a certain speed (20 kph maybe?)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 05:53:59 pm by sailor723 »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #1291 on: March 27, 2017, 05:55:12 pm »

Were they flashing red or coming on steady amber? Flashing red is activated, the amber just indicates the system is not operating because the speed is too low and is normal.

Steady amber. So if there was a cyclist, or pedestrian creeping up beside you at a stop light it would not activate? 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 05:57:47 pm by KDS2K »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: March 27, 2017, 06:47:43 pm »

Were they flashing red or coming on steady amber? Flashing red is activated, the amber just indicates the system is not operating because the speed is too low and is normal.

Steady amber. So if there was a cyclist, or pedestrian creeping up beside you at a stop light it would not activate?

Right the idea is that it isn't operational when stopped or at low speeds to avoid false alarms in parking lots, intersections etc

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: March 27, 2017, 10:57:42 pm »

Right the idea is that it isn't operational when stopped or at low speeds to avoid false alarms in parking lots, intersections etc
I thought they were Amber if it sensed someone or something but not too close. And then red if they're really close. Like a two stage warning.

I have seen them light up at a stop, usually detecting a car in the adjacent lane or a lamp post or some such item.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: March 29, 2017, 10:19:20 am »

I thought they were Amber if it sensed someone or something but not too close. And then red if they're really close. Like a two stage warning.

I have seen them light up at a stop, usually detecting a car in the adjacent lane or a lamp post or some such item.

No, the way it was explained to me by the service dept was the system only operates above a certain speed. The amber lights are on everytime I start the car or slow to a stop. They go out after you get rolling. I don't remember for sure but I think it's either 20 or 30kph.  The steady yellow lights are on below that speed indicating the system is not operational.

edit...actually it's 12kph
http://m.mercedes-benz.ca/en_CA/blind_spot_assist/detail.html

2nd edit..It must vary by year or model. I just checked mine while I was out and it's 30 for the system to go on and off on my ML.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:57:45 pm by sailor723 »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: April 18, 2017, 04:41:52 pm »
The ML isn't leaving me without a fight. I was having the summer tires put on today and found a broken rear spring.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #1296 on: April 18, 2017, 05:28:36 pm »
The ML isn't leaving me without a fight. I was having the summer tires put on today and found a broken rear spring.
:surrend:
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: April 18, 2017, 07:15:27 pm »
Probably not really it's fault. It's had 140,000+ kms on Saint John roads which are arguably the worst in Canada and this is the first suspension issue it's had.

Road crews here spend every summer putting new patches on the potholes that appeared in the old patches they put on last year......and not to worry..... if they ever actually repave an entire street one of our 100 year old watermains is sure to break soon after. That allows them to dig great big holes and then create more patches  ::)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #1298 on: April 18, 2017, 07:30:35 pm »
Having driven in Saint John and Montreal, I have to tell you, Montreal roads are much, much worse :P

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 18, 2017, 09:23:06 pm »
Springs are suppose to be super beefy.....

That said our former Z4 had a broken rear spring as well...