Author Topic: Subframe rust advice  (Read 3448 times)

Offline wolfee297

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
Subframe rust advice
« on: June 14, 2023, 01:11:51 am »
I took in my recently bought 2003 Lexus ES300 for a safety inspection today. The mechanic failed it due to a rotted out rear subframe. The first picture is of the damage. The second one is what it should look like. I'm not really sure how to proceed. I've already spent about $5000 on this car. I bought it for $3000. Spent $1000 on parts for new brake rotors, brake pads and brake calipers for all four wheels. I also bought 2 wheel bearing hub assemblies for the rear side. I couldn't get the old ones off so I paid a mechanic $700 to do the wheel bearings. The car has been neglected beyond belief. The previous owner was driving around with bad rear wheel bearings and almost no brakes. I also changed the valve cover gasket and the cylinder head had a lot of sludge inside. So it's safe to say, it hasn't had regular oil changes. But it drives good. Engine is quiet. Transmission shifts smoothly. The mechanic said I can take it to some other shops that might pass it with the frame rust but he won't do it himself. I really don't know anything about fixing subframe rust. It sounds like a big job and not cheap. I've considered the following options:

- Get another mechanic shop to safety the car with the bad subframe and keep driving it

- Fix the subframe. I don't even know how to proceed with this step

- Sell the car as is. Last resort. I don't want to waste all the time and money I've already spent on this car

I would appreciate any advice I can get

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Subframe rust advice
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 08:04:56 am »
I'd be worried the subframe would snap on a sharp pothole or something. Research the part to see if an easily sourced replacement exists, may be shared with Camry, and / or locate a good one in a junkyard. Then, balance cost, trouble and energy to see if it's either repair or replace. Good luck!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 12:55:36 pm »
The car has been neglected beyond belief.

Understatement of the century. Some people should not own anything mechanical.

All that could have been prevented using Krown. My 1999 Honda in the hands of a friend since 2013 and is still on the road after 20 years...pretty-well rust-free.

Sorry you spent so much. A better option is to find less car for a better price next time.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 01:02:29 pm »
Find a subframe assembly from a car that wasn't kept in a brine bath and replace the whole thing....but if you say that the car has been neglected, sell it as is and rid yourself of it. I wouldn't drive around with the car being held together by hope, faith, and the promise of tomorrow.
Lighten up Francis.....