Author Topic: BMW E9x - all things maintenance and repairs  (Read 33772 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: BMW E9x - all things maintenance and repairs
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2024, 10:53:50 am »

Also I found plastic parts failing under hood. Clips would break on covers real easy.  This got me worried about the plastic on parts a lots more crucial to the car like the cooling system. I was just very uneasy keeping a German car for much longer.

True. I replaced few cable holders and clips because like you said they were broken. I replaced the cowl tray and the cable holder that sits at the top of the engine as the tabs were broken and the cable holder was hanging. If you look at the pictures of the engine bay in most ads, you will see that cable holder hanging.

When you touch anything plastic in the engine bay you need to be extremally careful and gentle. Sometime even if you are or if you try to unclip them the wrong way, they still break. It's the way it is. This engine runs very hot and anything plastic and original is most likely brittle by now.

Indeed, the radiator sides and the necks where the hoses connect to it, as well as few cooling hoses are prone to crack, break, leak due to aging plastic.

In my 2012 Odyssey, chasing a water leak I found out that the washer nozzles (snapped in holes in the hood) were so dry that the underhood plastic half crumbled to dust in my hands. Replaced both with new parts, not expensive.

Did you also pre-emptively replace the windshield washer lines, fluid, wiper blades, wiper arms, windshield, windshield seal/gasket, hood, front fenders, and roof? If so, what brand of washer fluid did you use; are you able to share the part number and the exact profit margin that the average retailer is making on it? It's extremely fair for Esso to make $0.36 on a 5L jug, but I think it's important for us to know that they're making it.

??? One of the nozzles had dried to the point of leaking washer fluid and not cleaning the windshield well. Replaced both, problem solved, and on topic of plastic parts getting dry under hood.

:D  Pretty sure that wasn't aimed at you

Oh yeah the "new admin" of our local Honda dealer has snake-oil tactics at the service desk. They lost my business after 25 years of going there. I just went straight to the parts counter for the nozzles, after finding out they were cheaper there than online.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2024, 10:55:56 am »
^Pretty sure that wasn't aimed at dealers either.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #202 on: January 11, 2024, 11:16:26 am »
Reminds me, I'm pretty sure I have a washer fluid leak in the E91.

Check the headlight washer nozzles - I replaced both sides due to leaking, few months apart.
If it's not that, the washer fluid pump could be another culprit.
RA is your friend for both parts.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 11:37:00 am by Dante »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #203 on: January 11, 2024, 11:48:13 am »
Did you also pre-emptively replace the windshield washer lines, fluid, wiper blades, wiper arms, windshield, windshield seal/gasket, hood, front fenders, and roof? If so, what brand of washer fluid did you use; are you able to share the part number and the exact profit margin that the average retailer is making on it? It's extremely fair for Esso to make $0.36 on a 5L jug, but I think it's important for us to know that they're making it.

PURE GOLD :fiver:

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #204 on: January 11, 2024, 12:14:11 pm »

On a serious note; I'd check the lines, they may be worn with age. Super super common on these; we keep them in stock because we do at least one E90 a week with a washer leak.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2024, 12:15:47 pm »

On a serious note; I'd check the lines, they may be worn with age. Super super common on these; we keep them in stock because we do at least one E90 a week with a washer leak.

Don't forget to throw in the new fenders  ;)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #206 on: January 11, 2024, 12:59:17 pm »

Don't forget to throw in the new fenders  ;)

And while we’re in there, front shocks. I’ve heard that the BMW OEM part is exactly the same as CXingchen brand, and I managed to get it off RockAuto for $0.87 less than the independent wanted. While it’s fair for them to remain profitable and engage with my tomfoolery, they don’t deserve to have that $3.99 slice of pizza for lunch so I’ve packed some Kraft Singles into Wonderbread slices to feed them generously.

Double my RockAuto discount code with a discount at the local dealership and I also got a new sunroof assembly for $9800, so it’s a great “while you’re in there” thing to replace so we don’t have any issues down the road.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2024, 01:16:29 pm »

Check the headlight washer nozzles - I replaced both sides due to leaking, few months apart.

Already replaced the pump last year. This seems to be a new issue.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2024, 01:24:55 pm »

There is also another potential point of failure - the headlights washer pump. Any fluid spots on the ground that could give a hint on the location?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2024, 01:29:48 pm »

There is also another potential point of failure - the headlights washer pump. Any fluid spots on the ground that could give a hint on the location?

Haven't seen any fluid spots on the ground. I think it's leaking on or near the engine because I sometimes can smell a bit of a weird burnt odour, so I think it's evaporating before it can hit the ground.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2024, 02:28:02 pm »

Haven't seen any fluid spots on the ground. I think it's leaking on or near the engine because I sometimes can smell a bit of a weird burnt odour, so I think it's evaporating before it can hit the ground.

In my case I could see wet spots in front of the wheels so it was easy to track down the source.
If close to the engine maybe the filler neck/hose is cracked or leaking at the connection with the tank? The tank and the neck are separate pieces.

It's just washer fluid but it's annoying to suddenly run out of it in winter....

Offline shurimonchik

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 MINI Cooper S (sold), '09 Mazda 5 (sold), '17 VW Golf Alltrack 6MT (sold), '07 328i, '17 Audi Q7, '01 330ci
« Reply #211 on: February 20, 2024, 08:38:01 pm »
Passenger rear shock broke off, the bottom mount snapped in half. Never seen anything like this before with shocks. I knew it was time to replace them anyways. Replaced both shocks, lower mounts, upper mounts and replaced front rotors and pads on the weekend. Still didn't tackle brake check valve gasket, need to do it when it's warmer.