Author Topic: Comparison Test: Mini-Crossover SUVs  (Read 21695 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: Mini-Crossover SUVs
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:31:41 am »

While originally planning to compare cheap and cheerful utes, we ended up with five pricey but nimble mini-crossover SUVs

Read More...

Offline sweetadad

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-5
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison Test: Mini-Crossover SUVs
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:34:34 am »
Interested in knowing what happened to the first Trax.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:01:36 am »
There are two groups of vehicles here. Sportage/Subaru is the one the ordinary customers buy with their real world values. Juke/Mini is an overpriced joke on wheels for adventurers...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12340
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:11:31 am »
Typical autso.ca domestic-hating.  Don't even have to read the results to know the Chevy finished last.  You guys are all paid off by the Koreans anyway.

Wait... what?  Chevy finished second?

But how am I supposed to square that with my pre-packaged rant?  ???

Good review guys.  :)
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 08:46:11 am »
"Subaru didn’t have the more upscale XV Crosstrek Limited in its fleet, but not wanting to miss out on the fun they kindly provided a just-sold and yet-to-be-delivered customer car..."

Really?  I wouldn't be too thrilled if my newly purchased car was loaned out as a tester...
The 'Fifteen' is an appealing little rig.  Will have to check one out when we start shopping later this year

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:49:02 am »
"Subaru didn’t have the more upscale XV Crosstrek Limited in its fleet, but not wanting to miss out on the fun they kindly provided a just-sold and yet-to-be-delivered customer car..."

Really?  I wouldn't be too thrilled if my newly purchased car was loaned out as a tester...
The 'Fifteen' is an appealing little rig.  Will have to check one out when we start shopping later this year

It was a press fleet vehicle, they just allowed us one last booking with it.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 08:49:45 am »
Interested in knowing what happened to the first Trax.

The little metal clip that holds the rad hose on went AWOL

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 08:53:34 am »

Ah - so what happens with these test fleet vehicles after they have made the rounds... sold at auction?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 08:54:20 am »

Ah - so what happens with these test fleet vehicles after they have made the rounds... sold at auction?

I think it depends on manufacturer.  This one had a definite buyer.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 09:05:46 am »
The one strong point for me regarding all these vehicles is the price. I don't understand why someone would be paying over 30K within this group, considering the slightly larger SUV's can be had for the same or even less in some cases.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 09:16:33 am »
You guys forgot the Suzuki SX4....but is it THAT old it wasn't worth including?   It's in the Juke-size family with AWD.

Otherwise, great article!! 

The one strong point for me regarding all these vehicles is the price. I don't understand why someone would be paying over 30K within this group, considering the slightly larger SUV's can be had for the same or even less in some cases.

:iagree:

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:20:19 am by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 09:18:46 am »
You guys forgot the Suzuki SX4....but is it THAT old it wasn't worth including? 

As much as Suzuki wishes it was, it is not a crossover.  It is a sub-compact hatchback with all-wheel drive.

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 09:21:01 am »

As much as Suzuki wishes it was, it is not a crossover.  It is a sub-compact hatchback with all-wheel drive.

I see...I was a victim of their marketing then!   ;D

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 09:28:14 am »

I see...I was a victim of their marketing then!   ;D

lol, I have a FWD SX4 sedan and if you put it side-by-side with the hatchback, they are the same height.  Suzuki just built the car damn tall so it almost looks crossover like. 

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 09:41:44 am »
The SX4 sedan likely would have been on my radar when I was looking, but wound up with the 2009 SE-R, IF it came with the AWD. 

I personally find the SX4 hatch awkward looking and the tiny trunk useless, but was the only one with AWD.   :P

THAT, plus it didn't come with a factory sunroof as an option.

Offline vickenp

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: fit, civic si, protege 5
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 09:55:46 am »
Wonder how that new honda cuv which was shown in detroit stacks up....i'm soooo looking forward to it

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 10:10:24 am »
The Matrix/Vibe twins with AWD were once considered the first small crossovers.  They are taller than other hatchbacks and have a noticibly higher seating position, even in FWD and have good cargo space.  Granted, they are not as powerful as most of those tested here, have an outdated 4 spd auto and are not very exciting to drive, not unlike some of those tested, but they are far less expensive fully loaded, likely obtain better mileage and have proven to be very reliable.  Just an observation.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 10:37:31 am »
   I think that as noted by the author, these were too upscale for most who would be interested and hardly think that any are worth the money considering that you can get a well equiped Caravan (I know. I know) for less. Anyway why would less of everything cost more? So, very interesting all the same and I think that the CUV/SUV or whatever designation is given to them...does them a disservice since I think that they are just nice small cars with the right ground clearance and ease of entry and exit. Outdating similar vehicle sizes considered to be "cars". I wonder how many have been put off by the description nomenculature...."don't want a cross country vehicle". Personally I don't want AWD and don't include this aspect as an asset when looking at the test vehicles; so that I only want FWD but otherwise like this format type. Maybe there are others of like mind, I don't know, but suspect that there are and maybe a test of the participents, lesser endowed brothers, would be of interest. FWD only but nicely "mid range" equiped. It is also the price you see. I think the Suzuki is only 4WD but the Soul would qualify also for me.
   Not withstanding the above, the Caravan and towing will be coming to an end anon and one of these will be on the horizon. A decent little Chevvy in the fold and available as FWD also. Have not been able to say that in a while except maybe for the Cruise. There has to be a contender in there for me surely...hopefully I don't fall through the option sieve. I like the look of this chunky little Car and the dash is interestingly done but don't know how the speed display will go down. I like the speedo cluster in the Kia and they seem to get the point that your speed is the important measure and RPM not so...nice big speedo.
   Anyway, forgeting my lack of interest for AWD; I really like the Subie Crosstrek. So much so, that I would make an exception here and take it anyway. Failing a better alternative. I'm tired of fighting. I like it a lot.
   Yeah, forgot the Matrix.
   Just as real estate prices are based on location, location...these vehicles should have prices based on Car size..size. Not nomenclature. Most folk out here have few 'Entitlements' and it might be that they are begining to be outpriced as well as being outsourced...or in spite of it.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:10:28 am by Rupert »

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 10:39:07 am »
Early entrant to the CUV craze in the 1980's - Toyota Tercel:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2109
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 10:42:15 am »
Early entrant to the CUV craze in the 1980's - Toyota Tercel:

Ummm...ahem....lets not forget the Civic Wagovan, it was 4x4 as well.

Lighten up Francis.....