Author Topic: Winter tires  (Read 96959 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Winter tires
« Reply #260 on: October 14, 2017, 01:36:19 pm »
We have been putting about 20K a winter on the Highlander - so getting close to 100K out of the General Arctics was amazing life.  Given how much we travel in the winter, I am more than fine with three seasons out of a set of winter tires - and even on the older fast-wearing Blizzaks we got at least that.

ltruong

« Reply #261 on: October 14, 2017, 01:40:34 pm »
I looking on Kijiji there's an abnormal amount of ads of no name brands. It's tempting because I'm so cheap then I do research and they have no data reviews. I'll keep looking for 2nd hand deals

Some of the brand names are catchy; Haida, Sailun, Joyride, black king, snow master.......

Mostly Chinese knock-offs. Some might be OK and others will be  absolute garbage. The problem is that with no history, track record or independent testing you have no way of knowing which is which.

Ya the only review I can find are from the UK and for summer/all season tires. Nothing on winters, probably would be some reviews on Russian sites but I don't speak Russian....now it makes sense why there's all those Russian YouTube video of people losing control ...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 01:42:46 pm by wongpong »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #262 on: October 14, 2017, 01:50:00 pm »
now it makes sense why there's all those Russian YouTube video of people losing control ...

Driving 100km/h in a snow storm through an urban center ignoring red lights might have something to do with it too...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #263 on: October 17, 2017, 03:46:10 pm »
APA's Winter Tire review for 2017-2018.
http://www.apa.ca/wintertire_reviews.asp
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #264 on: October 17, 2017, 03:55:05 pm »
^ Blizzak # 1.  Duh   ;D
Just picked up my set of 4 last night from Costco.  Install date = Nov 9

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #265 on: October 17, 2017, 04:57:39 pm »
Just scored a set of 4 235/45HR17 Michelin Xice Xi3s for $250 for the A4. Only worn 2/32”. Will drop them by the shop to have installed on my spare rims tomorrow.  Then I can put them on when it’s convenient to me.  I am waiting for the magic tipping point of a forecast with a week of 6 deg or less daytime highs to put them on.  The cheap Barum AS that came with the car can keep me until then.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #266 on: October 17, 2017, 06:56:22 pm »
^ Blizzak # 1.  Duh   ;D
Just picked up my set of 4 last night from Costco.  Install date = Nov 9

Got my wife's last night from Costco. Still need to order mine.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 17, 2017, 07:00:15 pm »
  The cheap Barum AS that came with the car can keep me until then.

Reading that quickly without my reading glasses I got...

barium enema

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 17, 2017, 07:30:09 pm »
  The cheap Barum AS that came with the car can keep me until then.

Reading that quickly without my reading glasses I got...

barium enema
Might be more fun than the tires are.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 17, 2017, 08:56:48 pm »
I have a set of XIce 3s to sell in Ottawa with steels. Although I wonder if I could use them on an enterprise rental for the winter.

That'd be a huge hassle.

Just rent in Gatineau if you want winter tires on a rental.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 17, 2017, 09:02:40 pm »
I have a set of XIce 3s to sell in Ottawa with steels. Although I wonder if I could use them on an enterprise rental for the winter.

That'd be a huge hassle.

Just rent in Gatineau if you want winter tires on a rental.

We're waiting for a recall so Nissan would pay for the rental but we'd have to pay for the winter tyres.

Push for them to rent from Gatineau! Enterprise will pick you up!  ;)

BTW did you like the X-Ice Xi3's in Ottawa?

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 18, 2017, 06:14:52 am »
I think the XIces are good but not great in slush. I didn't have any major problems in snow.
That seems to be a continuous thread about the Xi3.  I think that slush is a challenge for any winter tire but that sounds like its one weak point in most of the valid tests I’ve read.  We will see!

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #272 on: October 18, 2017, 10:49:26 am »
Just scored a set of 4 235/45HR17 Michelin Xice Xi3s for $250 for the A4. Only worn 2/32”. Will drop them by the shop to have installed on my spare rims tomorrow.  Then I can put them on when it’s convenient to me.  I am waiting for the magic tipping point of a forecast with a week of 6 deg or less daytime highs to put them on.  The cheap Barum AS that came with the car can keep me until then.

Nice find!!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 18, 2017, 10:56:14 am »

Nice find!!
I like to think so.  Lightly used winter tires on a lightly used car.  The universe is in perfect balance.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #274 on: October 20, 2017, 09:23:05 am »
Now, I gotta find a jack and jack stands on a good deal so I can swap them out in a few weeks.

Is this any good? CT had them for $35 few weeks back but I missed it.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/certified-jack-and-stand-kit-2-ton-0091061p.html#srp

Do I need 2-ton or 3-ton for the MDX?
DO NOT BUY THAT ONE IF YOU ARE EXPECTING TO RAISE THE MDX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the total raise height.  To lift the Forester (8.9" ground clearance, plus the suspension holds another ~8" of travel) 1" off the ground, I'd need one that lifts at least 18" or beyond.  I looked at that exact jack and had to return it since the max height is only 16".  It'll work 'fine' for the Civic, but it won't work for the MDX.

You should get this one:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-low-profile-jack-2-ton-0090226p.html#spc

Great lift range (down to 2.7" if you ever buy a low-slung sports car :P), and 2-ton is sufficient if you're just lifting a corner at a time.  You don't need jack stands to do tire changes - just do one at a time with the jack.  2-tons (4,000lbs) will easily lift one corner of the MDX at a time.  If you plan on hauling up half the car at a time , then perhaps you could consider more, but it's really not necessary.

Yes, it's far more expensive.  I had a thread run amok about this very issue, for which many on here sh@t all over me for trying to cheap out on something to haul up my car.  I have seen the light, Praise Canadian Tire!

Even though I spent nearly $300 on supplies (including the torque wrench, which CT has for $70 on sale now) to swap over my own wheels, at $39.99 to change them over that most places charge, two vehicles meant that I was breaking even after ~3 changeovers.  On the same basis, I'd be saving $300 after 3 years :P

Moose’s nose? Queen’s head? WTH?  ???

FYI, they sell actual tread depth gauges at Crappy Tire for like six bucks. Everybody should own one.  :P

They're a cheap, awesome little tool and there's no excuse for not having TWO.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/victor-tire-tread-depth-gauge-0095501p.html
That's the one I got ;D

That's one advantage with X-Ice, even with tread approaching minimum depth and deep snow traction long gone, the ice traction is still amazing.
I very much found that to not be true with the Xi2s.  Either the ice in Toronto gradually became more slippery over the years, or the tires couldn't grip ice all that well as they wore.  ::)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 20, 2017, 09:31:05 am »
In the Costco thread, I mentioned that I was disappointed in their snow/slush performance, which is pretty much the reason why I buy winter tires.  I want excellent snow/slush performance.  These are definitely not the be-all and end-all.

So, I bought Blizzaks for the CX-3 instead.  We'll see how that goes.
FWIW, my MIL has the Xi3s on a CX-3.  I was blown away by how good the car, as equipped, performed in very wintery weather while they were snowbirding and I was making sure the battery didn't die (before we smartened up and just bought a trickle charger).

Thing is, I'm not sure how much of that was the tire vs the AWD system that Mazda has equipped its cars with of late (a very capable system, despite what some youtube tests show).

I'm sure with the WS80s you'll do great - I hope so, since that's what I've equipped my Mazda with :P  The Fozzie is still running WS70s from 2011, but have 9/32" left so I can't justify replacement.  If traction sucks this winter, I'll swap 'em early in the season without blinking.

As for any thoughts on cheaping out/knock-off, no-name tires, I just don't get it.  You're putting winter tires on to get more traction in colder/snowier/icier conditions.  You're doing it for safety.  You're doing it to be better off than the OEM/3-season/summer tires your car is already equipped with.

...so why would you ever consider a tire that may not perform any better?  Why would you not want a top-tier tire?  There are so many instrumented tests that show the cheapest winter tires perform the same or worse than 3-season tires.  A little research goes a LONG way.

I just don't get it.  I'll never get it.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #276 on: October 20, 2017, 09:40:29 am »
You should get this one:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-low-profile-jack-2-ton-0090226p.html#spc

Great lift range (down to 2.7" if you ever buy a low-slung sports car :P), and 2-ton is sufficient if you're just lifting a corner at a time.  You don't need jack stands to do tire changes - just do one at a time with the jack.  2-tons (4,000lbs) will easily lift one corner of the MDX at a time.  If you plan on hauling up half the car at a time , then perhaps you could consider more, but it's really not necessary.

Yes, it's far more expensive.  I had a thread run amok about this very issue, for which many on here sh@t all over me for trying to cheap out on something to haul up my car.  I have seen the light, Praise Canadian Tire!

Even though I spent nearly $300 on supplies (including the torque wrench, which CT has for $70 on sale now) to swap over my own wheels, at $39.99 to change them over that most places charge, two vehicles meant that I was breaking even after ~3 changeovers.  On the same basis, I'd be saving $300 after 3 years :P

I am totally calling you in the Spring.   :P

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #277 on: October 20, 2017, 02:22:37 pm »
Speaking of hydraulic jacks, mine is leaking. Is it something to rebuild or replace? It's a cheap-ish Michelin jack from Canadian Tire.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 20, 2017, 02:33:17 pm »
I am totally calling you in the Spring.   :P
Happy to help.  As I begin installing the final wheel, we can crack a beer :)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 20, 2017, 02:35:26 pm »
Speaking of hydraulic jacks, mine is leaking. Is it something to rebuild or replace? It's a cheap-ish Michelin jack from Canadian Tire.
Michelin, or Motomaster?

Canadian Tire is fairly excellent with the Motomaster brand, I'm told.  You should consult it to see what can be offered (replacement, repair, or credit towards new...?).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 03:15:16 pm by No-san »