Author Topic: Little Things That Irritate Me  (Read 1051524 times)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
Re: Little Things That Irritate Me
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 11:06:56 am »
People who jaywalk when there is a crosswalk 20 feet away

Cyclists riding the wrong way down a one-way street or bike path and on the sidewalk

Electric bikes in the bike path
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 11:09:56 am »
^  1€ is enough to worry about, 25c not so much.  Here I guess a toonie would be the right coin...not many people would give up on that.

Many of the supermarkets here use a loonie for the shopping carts. I have a loonie size token that I keep in the car for the carts.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 11:12:41 am »

Aldi's not bad, but Edeka has better ads...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=klPJZ_hR0hI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jxVcgDMBU94

8)

SUPERGEIL! Welp, that's stuck in my head for the rest of the day.  ;D

Two things crack me up about this ad - "supergeil" can also mean super horny, and "Muschi," which he uses to refer to the cat, can also mean, well, let's just say we had enough talk about that recently...   ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 11:37:54 am by Scaerio »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 11:32:24 am »
One of the local stores here (located in a semi-sketchy area) has just gone to the carts that have the wheels that lock if you try and take them out of the parking lot.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 12:09:45 pm »
One of the local stores here (located in a semi-sketchy area) has just gone to the carts that have the wheels that lock if you try and take them out of the parking lot.

How the heck is that set up?   ???

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 12:39:41 pm »

How the heck is that set up?   ???

The carts have some sort of receiver in them, once it's a certain distance from the store, there is a locking pin that locks the rear wheels.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 12:43:05 pm »
If the electronic lock is on the front wheels I wonder if it can be bypassed by lifting the front wheels off the ground when going over the yellow strip that sets off the lock?
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 03:01:31 pm »
People who jaywalk when there is a crosswalk 20 feet away

Here's one that irritates me, in Kingston to accommodate the jaywalkers they put speed humps on the main streets so you have to slow to a crawl in case one darts out between parked cars.
Mr Pickypants

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2016, 05:06:58 pm »
Services that auto-renew on your credit card. Now I may have missed UNclicking a box last year but it should be illegal and users should have to click ONLY if they want it.

Wonder how long until I get the charge reversed.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2016, 05:15:55 pm »
Services that auto-renew on your credit card. Now I may have missed UNclicking a box last year but it should be illegal and users should have to click ONLY if they want it.

Wonder how long until I get the charge reversed.
That's how the companies make money. They hope users will forget about cancelling or ending the subscription, and marketing studies show that people are more likely to just get annoyed but shrug it off and move on.

Same thing with "free-trial periods". That's why I avoid auto bill anything.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 05:52:52 pm »
People who cannot return a cart to the cart collection area, but leave it in the parking spot next to their vehicle.
This is the brilliant thing with most German markets, and this is replicated in Aldi US. The carts are locked/strung together via a coin deposit system. In Europe, you put in a 50 cent or 1€ coin to unlock; in the US it is a 25-cent piece. When you are finished with the cart, you push the "key" back into the recepticle of the lock of the other carts, and get your coin back.

The user is thus incentivised to push his/her cart back, and this reduces headcount and labour costs because you're not hiring someone just to do that job. In fact, in the US I have pushed a couple carts back on occasion and earned some cents because some people are too lazy to walk 20m to return the cart.

On your comment about rubbish on the ground......litter in general irritates me, along with people who don't sort their recyclables properly.

Yeah, absolutely love that feature with the shopping carts in Europe.  I don't ever recall seeing a stray cart in the parking lot because of it.  Love how the shopping carts have four wheel steering as well!   ;D

Lots of simple, yet effective things in Europe that are so much better than here. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 06:54:07 pm »
People who cannot return a cart to the cart collection area, but leave it in the parking spot next to their vehicle.
This is the brilliant thing with most German markets, and this is replicated in Aldi US. The carts are locked/strung together via a coin deposit system. In Europe, you put in a 50 cent or 1€ coin to unlock; in the US it is a 25-cent piece. When you are finished with the cart, you push the "key" back into the recepticle of the lock of the other carts, and get your coin back.

The user is thus incentivised to push his/her cart back, and this reduces headcount and labour costs because you're not hiring someone just to do that job. In fact, in the US I have pushed a couple carts back on occasion and earned some cents because some people are too lazy to walk 20m to return the cart.

On your comment about rubbish on the ground......litter in general irritates me, along with people who don't sort their recyclables properly.

Yeah, absolutely love that feature with the shopping carts in Europe.  I don't ever recall seeing a stray cart in the parking lot because of it.  Love how the shopping carts have four wheel steering as well!   ;D

Lots of simple, yet effective things in Europe that are so much better than here.
But the stores are so much smaller, they do have cheaper wine 😄

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2016, 11:46:15 am »

That's bad, but what might even be worse is the people who just push their cart into the corral but don't bother putting them in a line. The corral fills up much more quickly, not to mention it's a huge pain in the ass for the cart attendant to sort through them all. It's literally two seconds of effort to put a cart away properly.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 11:50:45 am »
Since they don't make me sad, angry or upset - but just annoy the sh*t outta me.

I just spent the day flying to Montreal and back for a one-day meeting.  In no particular order:

1.  Do you have to be the douchebag in his seat that talks on his cell about inconsequential things for over half an hour, loudly, right until the flight takes off?
2.  If the next zone that's boarding is Zone 3, and you're Zone 5, why are you standing in line ahead of (and blocking) those of us who are Zone 3?  You have a boarding pass and an assigned seat.  What's your freaking rush?
3.  If you know that you're flying, and that you'll have to take off your jacket and all your six thousand layers and sweaters and your boots to get through security, why wear six thousand layers?  I'm exaggerating with the six thousand layers, but this woman ahead of me was wearing a jacket, three ponchos and a scarf, and had to take them off one by one and put them in the plastic bins.  Winter hasn't even started!
4.  If you're new to the GTA, and have chosen to drive a cab to make a living, great.  Just get a facking GPS and punch in my facking home address.  I really don't feel like giving you turn-by-turn directions for half an hour after a long day.

There you have it.  Now I feel better.   :)

I'm with you on all of the above.

The zone thing drives me crazy.

On a recent flight there was a woman sitting near me who was trying to stow her carryon bag in the overhead compartment, and she couldn't get it to fit. She was bitching about how the compartment was "so small". No lady, your bag doesn't fit because it isn't a @&#%ing carry on size. We're on a 767, the overhead bins are massive. It's not like we were on a Dash 8 where it can be a struggle to stow normal size bags.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2016, 01:25:12 pm »
On a recent flight there was a woman sitting near me who was trying to stow her carryon bag in the overhead compartment, and she couldn't get it to fit. She was bitching about how the compartment was "so small". No lady, your bag doesn't fit because it isn't a @&#%ing carry on size. We're on a 767, the overhead bins are massive. It's not like we were on a Dash 8 where it can be a struggle to stow normal size bags.

Yes, and since AC now charges for checked baggage, people are being cheap and bringing all their crap on board.  (If it was that big, I'm surprised it was allowed through, actually.)  However, if you hang on to it, there will constant announcements at the gate that there won't be enough overhead storage for everyone's bags.  They offer to check it at no charge at that point.  So stupid.   ::)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 01:31:32 pm »

Yes, and since AC now charges for checked baggage, people are being cheap and bringing all their crap on board.  (If it was that big, I'm surprised it was allowed through, actually.)  However, if you hang on to it, there will constant announcements at the gate that there won't be enough overhead storage for everyone's bags.  They offer to check it at no charge at that point.  So stupid.   ::)

Well, checked baggage fees were a cash grab to begin with. But I wasn't charged then when travelling internationally.

On smaller planes like the dash 8, they have sky check service most of the time. More people should use it, it's not like there's enough space in the plane to open your bags FFS

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2016, 01:35:43 pm »
Surcharge on the first checked bag was a real peasant move on the part of the airlines and the FEDS should have moved in and told them to fack off, you're not doing it because it's a safety issue.  Politically it's a winner.  How do things so blatantly stupid stay stupid. :P     

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2016, 02:16:01 pm »
I don't understand why airlines are not enforcing carry on baggage size/weight limits. Yet if you check in two bags and one is a pound over and the other is a pound under, it is the end of the world.

When flying (which I don't do very often) I carry a man-purse on top of my carry on piece just because I can.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2016, 02:35:44 pm »
One of the US airlines is now charging for carry on as well.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2016, 02:41:30 pm »
One of the US airlines is now charging for carry on as well.
It's United, with their new no-frills economy fare.

United/Continental is arguably the worst of the big 3 American legacy airlines.