Author Topic: Boats and boating thread  (Read 6789 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Boats and boating thread
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2023, 11:11:26 pm »
SWEET!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2023, 07:55:09 am »
Yeah, that's a sweet boat. 45-50 is pretty solid for a 150 on a 19 footer. 

My father in law has a 115 XS on his 23 tri-toon, it's definitely under rated.

But, I think you'll appreciate the 150 when carrying a load or out running a storm. And it's not like the extra weight is an issue for a boat that size.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2023, 08:06:22 am »
Very nice boat AS, love the darker color scheme.  Do you think that the lack of people at that location might have had something to do with it being towards the end of the season?  It's probably a quiet time in general, past the part of the year when people are buying boats a lot, but before the "end of season clear out". 

Looking forward to when you have it broke in and outfitted fully and hearing how it compares to the old one. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2023, 08:57:57 am »
That's a nice set up, looking forward to your impressions once it's all kitted out.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2023, 09:23:27 am »
What was the motivation to get into the bigger boat?

More comfortable in the big water?

I love how deep it is. But I'm surprised there's no jump seats in the rear. Is that because it's the "Troller" configuration?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2023, 09:36:16 am »
I've been driving boats since I was 6, having an island cottage will do that.

Here's the families boats at the moment, not excluding my dad's (parents are separated).

The main boat is a 2002 Four Winns 23'er with a 5.7L Volvo I/O. Nipissing gets pretty rough and there's almost always a chop, so the big boat is a lot more comfortable on the 16 mile crossing.  Uses about 50L for the return trip. It's the green one on the right.

The cedar strip is my step dads. The motor is an old two stroke Johnson 50. It scoots along great but doesn't love to hold an idle at the moment.  The boat was built by Giesler Boats and is surprisingly good in rough water, as long as you don't mind getting wet or pounding into a chop.

The far boat in the second photo is my 16' tinny with a 30 four stroke on it.  I use it for camping or when I'm at the in-laws cottage near Ottawa, this was the first time I've had it to the cottage. You really have to pick your days.  It runs great though, it'll do 28mph with just me and 24-25 with two to three people and light gear.  It used about 12L to cover the 32 miles, remarkably efficient.

I bought it right at the start of COVID, paid $2500 for the boat, motor and trailer.   Seems impossible now. That said, it needed a :censor: ton of work to get it sorted. Had to redo all the wiring, rip out the :censor: casting deck, new trailer tires and the motor (2003 Merc 25 4 stroke) had a bent prop shaft.  So I traded in the motor for the 2015 30. It was  ~$6000 including the purchase price to get it where it needed to be. Still pretty damn good compared to current prices.

Deep Water boats were only made for a few years, the story goes some engineers from Lund broke our on their own and started the brand. It has a few design differences than a Lund, higher bow, deeper hull, two transom braces.  It is actually rated for a 50, which would be insane. It's very sea worthy for it's size and is super easy to tow.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 09:48:46 am by tortoise »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2023, 09:55:09 am »
Congrats Steve! Good looking boat!

Tortoise, those photos take me back....My mom's family have a cabin on Iron Island on Nipissing....Used to get out there frequently as a kid, haven't been in probably 15 years now. I remember it being a long boat ride from the house (on the river that runs into Sturgeon), usually super choppy and cold too.  :)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2023, 10:07:33 am »
Small world!

We can see Iron Island from the north end of our island.  I had no idea there were cottages on it, I haven't explored the island at all.

Do you have any photos of the old cottage? 

And yeah, you'd have had little protection from the wind going that route.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2023, 11:49:07 am »
Nice boats. Being landlocked, I have to do my boating vicariously through you.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2023, 12:09:47 pm »
Small world!

We can see Iron Island from the north end of our island.  I had no idea there were cottages on it, I haven't explored the island at all.

Do you have any photos of the old cottage? 

And yeah, you'd have had little protection from the wind going that route.

The family actually owns iron island....My understanding was a couple of my uncles pooled together and bought it, early 2000's. At the time, it was just brush, no structures of any kind. Last I was there, they'd just started building a camp....I've seen some more recent photos on FB and it looks like most of my cousins now have their own little camps on the island; usually elevated little cottages or just a camper trailer posted up. Like this:

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2023, 12:42:46 pm »
Wild, I had always thought the whole thing was crown land.

Interesting dock solution they have, that's not an easy spot to park a boat.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2023, 01:42:44 pm »
Family of millwrights that have spent their whole lives on that lake; they figure out what works  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2023, 04:26:28 pm »
I've been on the water fishing since I was old enough to remember.

Dad usually had 2 boats. One for the river usually some type of aluminum deep V, in the 14-18 for range. And then he had a much larger boat for the Lake. Something in the mid 20s.

These days it's just River for him as he's too old for big boats and sold the Lake boat many years ago. His current rig is a 17 foot Lowe.

My Scout 365 is my first "boat", shockingly. I saw shockingly because I've lived on the Lake for 25+ years and have a private boat launch on a private beach. And have never used the launch.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 04:33:22 pm by rrocket »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2023, 09:33:55 pm »
What was the motivation to get into the bigger boat?

More comfortable in the big water?

I love how deep it is. But I'm surprised there's no jump seats in the rear. Is that because it's the "Troller" configuration?

I took the jump seats out.  They just get in the way.  For me I'll just have the 2 front seats.

I was just getting a little sick and tired of having to come in when the off shore winds picked up.  I go absolutely nowhere in it.  Just out a 1 kilometer right in front of my place and then back and forth anywhere from 70 to 150 feet depth.  If it's an onshore wind then nobody goes out other then the Coast Guard and they never find people alive if they've been swamped.

I made the buy partially because my son was paying half and inflation has just begun in this country for tangibles like autos et al.  Anything imported.  The boat and motor are USA made.

Working our way thru the build.  Essentially rewiring it as it only came wired as if it was only going to have one motor.  Mercury now won't warranty the motor if you're running a kicker unless you use their power charging distribution  system which is BS.  Down rigger wiring, battery switches, Mercury crap and I'm into another $1k. Absolutely everything is so inflated as you know.

Regardless, this coming week is a super week for Salmon and I will be out there with all the other :censor: heads.  We text each other on who is catching what  :rofl2:   So far the son and I have about 10 hours on the rigging with another 8 to go collectively.  It's slow going.  You gotta figure out how the manufacturer screwed everything together and how they wired it.  Time consuming.

BTW, love that cove you have for your boats.  That's the real Canada.     

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2023, 09:42:48 pm »
Nice work AS!! Some good salmon out that way from what I remember. Spent enough time out that way in my youth fishing & boating.

Tortoise, great pics of your boats in the bay! Spent a week up in North Bay working back in 1994ish, rented a boat & went out fishing one day on Lake Nipissing after we finished work & just froze our asses off & got skunked.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2023, 10:50:04 pm »
Very nice boat AS, love the darker color scheme.  Do you think that the lack of people at that location might have had something to do with it being towards the end of the season?  It's probably a quiet time in general, past the part of the year when people are buying boats a lot, but before the "end of season clear out". 

Looking forward to when you have it broke in and outfitted fully and hearing how it compares to the old one.

Actually I don't care for the dark colour.  I'd prefer to have a bright red; something that can be spotted out there at dusk.

The lack of customers is a direct reflection on how over extended people are.  This is a large volume boat dealer in a key section of Ontario and there was zip happening.  Not one customer even buying parts.  So weird.  No action in the service department either.  I pressed our sales kid, who luckily just happened to answer the phone on Tuesday when my son called, about sales and the number of people that finance their purchase.   North of 80% which mirrors the RV industry. 

Vast majority of trailers and boats are financed on 5 year terms @ a 20 year amortizations.  2021 and prior people were financing their purchases @ 4.99%.  Now it's 9.99% unless the vendor buys that rate down for the first few years.  What's just starting to occur is that all these low rate RV loans are beginning to roll over and people's payments are doubling on crap like RV trailers, boats, jet skis, side by sides.  No wonder the big 5 Banks are booking large loan losses on consumer loans.

Just the tip.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2023, 11:45:20 pm »
I had no idea loans were amortized over 20 years and readjusted every 5. I figured they just locked into a rate for the whole term.. That is just nuts, much like the RV industry and their 30 year amortizations.  :rofl2:

When I picked up my bike earlier the salesman had set aside an additional hour to discuss financing options. He looked disappointed when I put the maximum they would allow on my credit card ( for points) and bank drafted the rest. He mentioned 90% financed their toys..  So dumb. Will the price of all this crap collapse when it all gets repo' d,  wrote off and auctioned?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2023, 01:06:44 am »
Will the price of all this crap collapse when it all gets repo' d,  wrote off and auctioned?

Prices will continue to climb indefinitely at the real rate of inflation which is double the official rate.  Massive RV repos will have no effect.  Anything in saleable condition will head back south of the border where it came from originally.   In a year from now $40K Corollas  ???  Real possibility  ::).  The only thing holding the loonie together is oil & gas.  The paradox being that inflation feeds on high energy pricing.

The debt spiral is full on.  2/3 of mortgages and consumer loans have yet to reset.  3 of the Big 5 disclosed Friday that 20% of their mortgage book is technically insolvent.  No more 80 or 90 year amortizations.  Will the BOC need to print another 1 Trillion to backstop the Banks and CMHC  ???  Imagine the prices of all things if that were to occur.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2023, 12:22:52 pm »
Will the price of all this crap collapse when it all gets repo' d,  wrote off and auctioned?

Prices will continue to climb indefinitely at the real rate of inflation which is double the official rate.  Massive RV repos will have no effect.  Anything in saleable condition will head back south of the border where it came from originally.   In a year from now $40K Corollas  ???  Real possibility  ::).  The only thing holding the loonie together is oil & gas.  The paradox being that inflation feeds on high energy pricing.

The debt spiral is full on.  2/3 of mortgages and consumer loans have yet to reset.  3 of the Big 5 disclosed Friday that 20% of their mortgage book is technically insolvent.  No more 80 or 90 year amortizations.  Will the BOC need to print another 1 Trillion to backstop the Banks and CMHC  ???  Imagine the prices of all things if that were to occur.

So you see a scenario where the US economy is not affected (and Canada crumbles) so there will be a big appetite for used repossessed Canadian do-dads south of the border? 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2023, 09:04:33 pm »
Loonie just needs to hold on another 3 weeks and then I'll watch from a distance.