Author Topic: Vacations 2024  (Read 8018 times)

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
Re: Vacations 2024
« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2024, 09:29:17 pm »
You know Mexico has excellent food, you just don't get it at a resort.   ;D  When we go to Mexico it is generally PV (Puerto Vallarta) and we stay in town (either a condo or boutique hotel).

That's the way to do it IMO.
I disagree.  If you pick the right resort the food can be very good.  If we were staying for longer than 2 weeks it might make sense to do the rent a condo and do the whole restaurant/cook at home thing.  But for a week or two if you find the right resort it can be a great experience.

I agree, I have done both, for a week top line resort is the way to go in my opinion

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2024, 10:01:51 pm »
Japan booked for November!!

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2024, 10:14:49 pm »
Enjoy Japan.
We talking to go back in a few years. My daughter is looking into university there.
Such a great country with different customs.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2024, 11:29:30 pm »
thanks, we haven't planned the whole trip yet but we are doing 10 days.    I think, 3 days in Tokyo, then 4 in kyoto/osaka and back to Tokyo/Yokohama.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2024, 12:04:16 am »
thanks, we haven't planned the whole trip yet but we are doing 10 days.    I think, 3 days in Tokyo, then 4 in kyoto/osaka and back to Tokyo/Yokohama.
You’ll enjoy the bullet train ride. If that’s what you taking. Just pay the extra for reserved seats and ask to be on the side to see Mt. Fuji.
Not much English, google translate will be your friend.
The transit is Fenomenal and cheap, taxi is very expensive.
We also used Airalo app for our phones, it has an e sim so no need for a physical sim.
If you want I can give you more tips.
Food there is very fresh and cheap, wagyu is a must.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2024, 12:52:40 am »
what did you use for booking hotels? I heard booking.com is good for japan.  my 2 daughter will be with us so one day Disney sea and probably nintendo. beside that we will do more research. I have 6 months to do duolingo and learn the basic but yeah, I imagine Google translate will be key.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2024, 04:45:10 am »
I need to send you my shopping list! LOL [emoji38]
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2024, 08:32:47 am »
what did you use for booking hotels? I heard booking.com is good for japan.  my 2 daughter will be with us so one day Disney sea and probably nintendo. beside that we will do more research. I have 6 months to do duolingo and learn the basic but yeah, I imagine Google translate will be key.
My wife booked directly with the hotel.
This is were we stayed in Tokyo
https://section-l.co/kuramae/
It’s in a very nice area of Tokyo.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2024, 09:51:43 am »

enjoy the trip. My son and DIL were there back in March, they said almost everyone can converse enough in english that hey had no issues anywhere

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2024, 10:28:32 am »
Enjoy Japan.
We talking to go back in a few years. My daughter is looking into university there.

Japan still actively runs a whaling fleet and is now considering running a commercial fleet for fin whales. Such a progressive forward looking society.  :rofl2:

and don't forget the annual dolphin drives lol. Sponsored by Toyota.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNC2vn84lLc

« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 10:31:16 am by ktm525 »

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2024, 10:48:49 am »
Enjoy Japan.

Japan still actively runs a whaling fleet and is now considering running a commercial fleet for fin whales. Such a progressive forward looking society.  :rofl2:

They have family deals for this?

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2024, 10:53:12 am »
This is what we have for now
-Disney Sea
-Nintendo Universal studios
-Bamboo Forest
-Osaka Food Market  (And all the other market lol)
-Samurai museum.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2024, 11:09:14 am »
Enjoy Japan.

That's good  :rofl2:

Japan has become a tourist hotspot because their currency is weak and their economy is a disaster. Can't blame people for travelling there because your dollar goes further. Best to see it now as they don't have the money to upkeep what they have.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2024, 11:13:31 am »
Enjoy Japan.

That's good  :rofl2:

Japan has become a tourist hotspot because their currency is weak and their economy is a disaster. Can't blame people for travelling there because your dollar goes further. Best to see it now as they don't have the money to upkeep what they have.

yeah but every economy is a Sh%$^t show anyways

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2024, 12:03:46 pm »

enjoy the trip. My son and DIL were there back in March, they said almost everyone can converse enough in english that hey had no issues anywhere

Didn't find it much trouble either once you get used to things, but I'm always surprised with how little English they speak. The fact they use their own alphabet a fair bit doesn't help, although that is getting better

Luckily no one else in Asia or anywhere speaks Japanese either so they got used to putting up pictures on menus and vending machines, pictograms on the toilets etc, and there's a lot of universal words, pointing and various sign language

Lots of oddball cultural does and don'ts too

:D

https://youtu.be/v2tv_CGuVPM?t=210

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2024, 04:43:43 pm »
Flying to the UK this Sunday. A week on foot in London, then another week driving out of town on the wrong side of the road shifting with my left paw for the very first time  :drive2:

Did my usual post-trip spreadsheet of expenses, and ended up with the figure of 259 CDN per person per day, all in, from flights to rental car to purchases (12 days, couple, no kids). Italy last fall was 230 (19 days, again the two of us, no kids).

In London, we stayed 5 nights at the Tophams Hotel, located in fancy Belgravia and two steps from the Victoria Station transport hub, highly recommended. Cul-de-sac street with Cullinans, Ferraris and Aston Martins street-parked. Next to Ian Fleming's old house.

The driving part got us to Windsor, Stonehenge, Bath (lovely!), the Cotswolds, Oxford (those colleges...), Cambridge (a more relaxed and green version of Oxford) and Canterbury (not worth the detour unless total cathedral geek).
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2024, 04:58:52 pm »

We just got back at the end of April from a two-week trip. Toyko, Hiroshima/Miyajima, Osaka/Kyoto, Toyama, Nagano then back to Tokyo.  Family of five, my three sons are car nuts.  One has a RH drive Nissan Silvia imported from Japan.  They went to a number of car stores.  The Liberty Walk store was one of the highlights apparently.  We rented a Toyota Noah for a day and drove through the Japanese Alps.  I'll post some of the pics in Rental Car sub.

Here are some pics of the Mazda Museum.  I'm not a fan of Mazda, so I'm not sure of the significance of these cars, other than the 1991 LeMans winning car.

My take is that the people in the larger cities are more likely to be able to speak some English.  In the smaller cities, not so much.

teamLabs Borderless was the highlight of my trip.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 05:06:18 pm by kings10 »
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2024, 10:32:08 pm »
First time I’d taken time off work since Christmas of 2022 due to all the life changes over the last year and a half or so, it just wasn’t in the cards. Took a week and drove down to Pensacola Beach, which I learned, is basically a sandbar type island off the coast of Pensacola…I’d heard good things about the gulf coast, especially this part of it, but we were blown away by how perfect the beaches were. Sand was like baking flour, and the water just beautiful. We stayed at a resort and basically just hung out on the beach, hit up all the local restaurants, took in some live music, and cruised around exploring a little bit.

One day a storm rolled though, a proper southern storm, which was actually sort of cool to experience right at the beach. Also made me understand why coastal cars are often avoided; the winds pickup wet salt from the ocean and basically coat everything in it….It’s very visible on the windows on the hotel, your sunglasses, etc. I had the Escalade parked in the hotel garage, but near an opening that faced the beach, it came out with a heavy salt film, bad enough that I had to stop and wash the windows to get rid of the haze for the drive home.

In terms of interesting cars at the beach, a lot of old (80’s/90’s) pickups and SUVs, often loaded with surf boards, and then quite a few Jeep Wranglers ranging from the 70’s up to current and everything from beaters to modded show worthy stuff. I feel like an old Jeep would probably be a great vehicle for bombing around a little beach town, maybe even get out on the sand. I thought driving in such loose sand would be a problem, but Beach Patrol was out using stock Chevy Colorados with what appeared to be stock AT tires and were not having any issues at all.

Round trip was just over 900 miles, or 1500kms. Truck was perfect running at 75mph for 7 hours each way, no issues despite age and high miles. Fuel economy for the trip was 15.5L/100kms, not terrible for a 6.0L powered brick loaded to the hilt and the AC blaring. Total fuel cost using premium was around $220 – no carbon tax applied 😊

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #178 on: Yesterday at 07:20:57 am »
Nice!  :fiver:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #179 on: Yesterday at 07:38:58 am »
@firm, indeed the beaches of the "Forgotten coast" are fantastic, and draw mostly the locals or drive-ins like you as it's not an easy area to fly to for us Eastern Canadians.

Salt - you're not used to saltwater, eh? We spent so much time around New England beaches and abroad to know all about salt film. Our Maine beach house we co-owned for a few years was high up on a rocky hill above and behind oceanfront homes, but all the outdoor metal - hinges, lights, etc. - rusted up after just a couple of years. Nice for swimming though, especially down South - you float so easily in heavily salted waters! Just don't get it in your eyes  :P