Author Topic: The Birdwatching Thread  (Read 56581 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: The Birdwatching Thread
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 09:48:23 pm »
That's a lot of lawn ya got there Ron - no wonder you hate mowing! :rofl2:
Railton
66x180 iirc

Shocked no one is breaking my balls for no trimming along the fence! (It started to rain)

Snowy definitely would of been giving you sh!t for that. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 09:51:38 pm »
Railton
66x180 iirc

Shocked no one is breaking my balls for no trimming along the fence! (It started to rain)

Yes for sure!

He might give me a pass because of rain though! [emoji2]
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 09:57:13 pm »
Railton
66x180 iirc

Yes for sure!

Doubt it.   ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 10:09:33 pm »
Railton
66x180 iirc

Yes for sure!

Doubt it.   ;D
He didn't even mow his own, remember? LOL

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2018, 04:44:44 am »
A pic from a few years ago.  A black-capped chickadee rests on my finger.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 12:45:55 pm »
That's not a hummingbird IMO..

Some type of shorebird/water feeding bird...that's a stabbing beak

Sure is beautiful! You have more? Would love to see them!

You are entirely correct. Had hummingbirds on the brain, but it’s actually a kingfisher. Not sure how accurate the carving is, but looks like a ringed kingfisher.

Saw another hummingbird in the back yard this morning. Not 100% sure, but thinking it was a female ruby-throated (pretty challenging to figure out this stuff when half the time male and females of the same species look totally different  ??? ). Also a blue jay, which was pretty cool. And last night my wife and I walked to our friends' house for dinner, about a 20 minute walk along a creek/wetland area. Saw those harlequin ducks again and a bunch of mallards. Once we got there, were having drinks in their back yard and spotted a yellow-rumped warbler in a tree.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:36:32 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2018, 03:03:56 pm »
Blue jays are interesting. Very smart too.

Put a few peanuts in the shell out and watch the jays shell them...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2018, 04:14:24 pm »
Blue jays are interesting. Very smart too.

Put a few peanuts in the shell out and watch the jays shell them...

Gray Jays are interesting too and not shy at all.  They’re the most reliable for hand feeding in my experience.  We dont have them around here though. 

I’ve been bird watching, and critter watching for that matter, for as long as i can remember.  For that reason i  really dont’t consider it a hobby as much as way of life.  I’ve had binocs and a bird guide sitting on my windowsill since getting my first home, just like my parents did when i was growing up.  One of my bst friends is a wlidlife biologist and i i used to volunteer with him, starting over 25 years ago, for the annual bird count sponsored by CWS

Ive seen a huge change over the years in species going away and others coming around that i never saw when i was a kid.  You rarely saw a bald eagle back when i was a kid and now they are ubiquitous.  Same with turkey vultures.  They starting showing up withun the last 20 years, or so.  The coolest bird to show up fairly recently is the red cardinal.  They show up in early spring, when every thing else is brown and drab, and they stand out with their bright red plumage.  They are also as volcally impressive as they are visually.  My biologist buddy moved away about 15 years ago and he never saw a red cardinal when he lived here.

I dont actively feed the birds in my yard anymore but i made it a bird friendly place to hangout and stick araound.  I put a bunch of bird houses around the yard but only the squirrels seem to use them though.  :P
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 04:18:53 pm by KD »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 04:25:35 pm »
Funny...cardinals, bald eagles and turkey vultures are common, everyday birds here.

Never seen a gray Jay though!

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 05:53:13 pm »
I've got a feeder in my backyard with Nyjer seed.
Certainly popular with the finches.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2018, 06:04:24 pm »
Yea! The Goldfinches love that stuff!

FWIW, that's a female on the left and a male on the right.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 06:08:07 pm by rrocket »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2018, 08:10:12 pm »
I snapped these photos back in 2011 when I was working in northern Alberta (Zama City, so way north.)

Looking at them now, I think it might be a gray jay? For sure they weren’t shy. Didn’t try to feed them, but wouldn’t have surprised me if they’d eaten out of my hand.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2018, 07:41:38 am »
That's the one thing I disliked about having a feeder.  It ended up feeding more than just birds.  I gave up when I noticed a rat hanging around the base, munching on the seeds that had been poured out on the ground by squirrels and raccoons.  Turned me right off, and I haven't put one out since.

By the way, the lack of lawn grass in your yard is lovely and refreshing.  Kudos! 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2018, 09:52:16 am »
I snapped these photos back in 2011 when I was working in northern Alberta (Zama City, so way north.)

Looking at them now, I think it might be a gray jay? For sure they weren’t shy. Didn’t try to feed them, but wouldn’t have surprised me if they’d eaten out of my hand.

A friend worked up north and said with gray jays it's not so much that they'll eat out of your hand if you let them, it's that they'll sit on your head and take your food out of your hand whether you want them to or not.

Another odd thing, occasionally when out to sea little birds like warblers and such occasionally appear and land on the boat.  It's like they are instantly tame, I once had one jumping all over the cabin catching flies and occasionally napping on my finger.
Happened to my cousin last week. 
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2018, 12:44:28 pm »
What kind of bird is this?  [emoji14]

This :censor: has been messin' with my feeder the last few days.
Switch to the feeder I use. Has weights built in and you can "tune"it. As soon as anything heavier than a bird grabs it, it closes.

Lifetime warranty too. They have several models.
https://bromebirdcare.com
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 12:50:12 pm by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2018, 01:00:44 pm »

A friend worked up north and said with gray jays it's not so much that they'll eat out of your hand if you let them, it's that they'll sit on your head and take your food out of your hand whether you want them to or not.

Another odd thing, occasionally when out to sea little birds like warblers and such occasionally appear and land on the boat.  It's like they are instantly tame, I once had one jumping all over the cabin catching flies and occasionally napping on my finger.
Happened to my cousin last week. 

Some birds tire on the long fights across oceans. And they'll land on anything they can.

That's really, really neat.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2018, 01:12:20 pm »
Ron thanks for the link.

My feeder is weighted where the birds land. I just put the old fashioned baffle on because I set the weight heavy enough so jays and cardinals can feed but it allows for light red squirrels to sit on it. The baffle keeps the red squirrels away. That clever racoon has just figured out how to stand on the baffle enough to get his tongue into the holes to eat out the seed. I will either remove the baffle or adjust it lower or higher to try and thwart the bastard.

Can't blame the poor guy. Just wants some delicious black oil sunflower.  :rofl2:
Lube you pole with WD 40 too!

I had squirrel problems until I got this type of feeder. They'd clean my old one out in under a day.

It was funny when I put the new feeder out. They were like "WTF?"...and tried to figure it out. Now they don't bother.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 01:15:16 pm by rrocket »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The Birdwatching Thread
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2018, 07:03:51 pm »
Sitting on the patio after a bike ride, enjoying beer and snacks while watching for birds. Had another yellow-rumped warbler a few minutes ago. Very pretty.

My wife is on the iPad trying to identify a bird call nearby. Hummingbird feeder is on the cherry tree in front of her (none so far today), suet for the woodpecker on the pine to the right, and the sunflower seeds on the next tree to the right.

Hope everyone else is enjoying a nice long-weekend afternoon as well. :cheers:

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:07:33 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2018, 07:09:20 pm »
My wife is on the iPad trying to identify a bird call nearby.

There's an app for that?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2018, 07:14:40 pm »
My wife is on the iPad trying to identify a bird call nearby.

There's an app for that?

She’s using that Sibley’s app I mentioned before. Unfortunately, you can’t record a song and have it identified. It’s more of a trial and error thing: play bird songs off the app and try to match what you’ve heard.

And good news for me on the Sibley’s. Just found out about Apple’s Family Sharing for apps, so I didn’t have to buy it again.