Author Topic: Winter tires  (Read 96983 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Winter tires
« Reply #280 on: October 20, 2017, 02:40:55 pm »
Speaking of hydraulic jacks, mine is leaking. Is it something to rebuild or replace? It's a cheap-ish Michelin jack from Canadian Tire.

Mine’s been leaking too. Blue Michelin 3.5-ton from Cdn Tire. Still works fine (truck stays up when lifted), but I’ve noticed a messy film of oil underneath it.

Been meaning to have a look at it, but haven’t got around to it yet.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #281 on: October 20, 2017, 03:13:31 pm »
Speaking of hydraulic jacks, mine is leaking. Is it something to rebuild or replace? It's a cheap-ish Michelin jack from Canadian Tire.
Michelin, or Motomaster?
Blue Michelin 3.5-ton from Cdn Tire.
I guess you really did mean Michelin.  Retracted - sorry!

So you have this one?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/michelin-3-5-ton-garage-jack-0091054p.html

Product discontinued and owner's manual not on the site.   :-\ sorry.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #282 on: October 20, 2017, 03:38:37 pm »

Mine’s been leaking too. Blue Michelin 3.5-ton from Cdn Tire. Still works fine (truck stays up when lifted), but I’ve noticed a messy film of oil underneath it.

Been meaning to have a look at it, but haven’t got around to it yet.

I have one also, haven't noticed it leaking but I'll have a look.  Thanks for the heads up.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #283 on: October 20, 2017, 04:13:18 pm »
Yup, the blue Michelin one. The vehicle slowly drops on it but I can at least keep it up enough to get axle stands underneath. I'd love to get a larger one that reaches deeper under the vehicle to open up lift point options.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #284 on: October 20, 2017, 04:54:43 pm »
at least keep it up enough

I'd love to get a larger one that reaches deeper

Where do we begin here....   :P

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #285 on: October 20, 2017, 05:12:05 pm »

Where do we begin here....   :P

;D

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #286 on: October 20, 2017, 10:08:16 pm »

Where do we begin here....   [emoji14]

;D
LOL..

No-San, I actually picked up that cheap one from CT as they had them on sale for $52+HST.
Maybe I'll give it a try with Civic and MDX, and return it if it doesn't go up high enough.

Partsource has a 3 ton and jack kit on sale for $120. It has 18.5" lift so I might get that one.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #287 on: October 20, 2017, 10:18:47 pm »
Don't know anything about these jacks, but it seems like a good sale price and lifts to over 19"

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/3-ton-speed-lift-floor-jack/A-p1030052e

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #288 on: October 20, 2017, 11:14:20 pm »
Yeah saw that one too.
Seems like this is the week to get one as all these stores have something on sale.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #289 on: October 21, 2017, 08:00:02 am »
In the Costco thread, I mentioned that I was disappointed in their snow/slush performance, which is pretty much the reason why I buy winter tires.  I want excellent snow/slush performance.  These are definitely not the be-all and end-all.

So, I bought Blizzaks for the CX-3 instead.  We'll see how that goes.

As for any thoughts on cheaping out/knock-off, no-name tires, I just don't get it.  You're putting winter tires on to get more traction in colder/snowier/icier conditions.  You're doing it for safety.  You're doing it to be better off than the OEM/3-season/summer tires your car is already equipped with.

...so why would you ever consider a tire that may not perform any better?  Why would you not want a top-tier tire?  There are so many instrumented tests that show the cheapest winter tires perform the same or worse than 3-season tires.  A little research goes a LONG way.

I just don't get it.  I'll never get it.

Who said anything about cheaping out?   ???

The Blizzaks were installed last night.  A bit earlier than usual, but I really wanted to stay ahead of the mad rush.

So far, my impression is positive.  I was expecting squishy and noisy.  They are not squishy (yay), but there is definitely a faint drone sound of upcoming winter fun at speed, compared to the silent Michelins on the Santa Fe.  Also, I was able to eyeball the Blizzaks and the Michelins side-by-side in person at Costco.  The Blizzaks definitely have a beefier tread.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 21, 2017, 09:17:18 am »
No-San, I actually picked up that cheap one from CT as they had them on sale for $52+HST.
Maybe I'll give it a try with Civic and MDX, and return it if it doesn't go up high enough.

Partsource has a 3 ton and jack kit on sale for $120. It has 18.5" lift so I might get that one.
I did the same thing, buying the small one...but had to return it.

I thought that maybe the jack stands would be worth getting, but you can pick up a pair for like $30...so their value isn't all that great to me in getting it in a "set".

Still, I can't imagine the $52 one lifting the MDX.  Good luck!

As for any thoughts on cheaping out/knock-off, no-name tires, I just don't get it. 
[/quote]
Here:

I looking on Kijiji there's an abnormal amount of ads of no name brands. It's tempting because I'm so cheap then I do research and they have no data reviews. I'll keep looking for 2nd hand deals

Some of the brand names are catchy; Haida, Sailun, Joyride, black king, snow master.......

Mostly Chinese knock-offs. Some might be OK and others will be  absolute garbage. The problem is that with no history, track record or independent testing you have no way of knowing which is which.

The Blizzaks were installed last night.  A bit earlier than usual, but I really wanted to stay ahead of the mad rush.

So far, my impression is positive.  I was expecting squishy and noisy.  They are not squishy (yay), but there is definitely a faint drone sound of upcoming winter fun at speed, compared to the silent Michelins on the Santa Fe.  Also, I was able to eyeball the Blizzaks and the Michelins side-by-side in person at Costco.  The Blizzaks definitely have a beefier tread.
I'm not sure when I'll install ours, but I suspect it'll be when the temp consistently sits below 7 degrees.  Also, since I can do it on my driveway now, no concerns regarding the "mad rush" :)

Thanks for the feedback on the WS80s!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #291 on: October 21, 2017, 09:22:03 am »
In the Costco thread, I mentioned that I was disappointed in their snow/slush performance, which is pretty much the reason why I buy winter tires.  I want excellent snow/slush performance.  These are definitely not the be-all and end-all.

So, I bought Blizzaks for the CX-3 instead.  We'll see how that goes.

As for any thoughts on cheaping out/knock-off, no-name tires, I just don't get it.  You're putting winter tires on to get more traction in colder/snowier/icier conditions.  You're doing it for safety.  You're doing it to be better off than the OEM/3-season/summer tires your car is already equipped with.

...so why would you ever consider a tire that may not perform any better?  Why would you not want a top-tier tire?  There are so many instrumented tests that show the cheapest winter tires perform the same or worse than 3-season tires.  A little research goes a LONG way.

I just don't get it.  I'll never get it.

I don't think that comment from No-San was referencing the Blizzaks (he was praising them earlier in the same post) but buying cheap winter tires in general.

And to that point of his - I bought a cheap set of Firestone winter tires for my Sonata - not because of cheapness, but because I left the purchase too late and didn't have time to shop all over the place and simply grabbed a ready package from the dealer.

The tires did exactly what was expected: elevate grip in all winter road conditions far beyond that of the OE all seasons.  What they sucked at was squishy road feel and significant tire roar / drone in the dry - which is what drivers in sw Ontario face for most of the winter.

But for taking care of safely shepherding me and my family around in winter's worst, they did an excellent job.  If someone decided to make that choice for cost saving reasons, I certainly would not be ranting and scoffing and chastising them for it.

For the Genesis, I put more thought into the choice and made dry weather performance a priority for my winter tire purchase.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 21, 2017, 09:41:54 am »
See above - I wasn't referencing even Firestones...it was more so against the brands described as "knockoffs" made in a specific country.  While I have no qualms with the country of manufacture, I have issues with products being manufactured without adequate testing or research to ensure they will perform as expected.

Some of the brands, like Sailun, actually are making decent efforts to do just that - but others that we've never heard of?  Why take the risk?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #293 on: October 21, 2017, 11:14:14 am »
Just picked up 4 225/45/17 X-ice 3's for the GF's 323i off Kijiji for $230, tread depth is 9/32's. New is 10.5/32's for that size. Figure these will do 2 to 3 winters. Hard to buy new ones at $220/ea. when you can find them on Kijiji like this.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #294 on: October 21, 2017, 04:07:12 pm »
Just picked up 4 225/45/17 X-ice 3's for the GF's 323i off Kijiji for $230, tread depth is 9/32's. New is 10.5/32's for that size. Figure these will do 2 to 3 winters. Hard to buy new ones at $220/ea. when you can find them on Kijiji like this.

Good find!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 21, 2017, 05:08:55 pm »

Good find!
Yeah, no complaints! They told me the tires were at almost 10/32's, so I was gonna pay $300 originally, but when I arrived & measured them, they were right below the 9 mark (so like 8.75, lol). So I offered him $250 instead, but he didn't have change for a $100 bill & all I had was another $30 in small bills, so $230 it was, lol!

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 21, 2017, 06:51:41 pm »
The tires did exactly what was expected: elevate grip in all winter road conditions far beyond that of the OE all seasons.  What they sucked at was squishy road feel and significant tire roar / drone in the dry - which is what drivers in sw Ontario face for most of the winter.

But for taking care of safely shepherding me and my family around in winter's worst, they did an excellent job. 

Pretty much like the Nordic Ices I got from Crappy Tire for the Jetta.  For all that was wrong with them on non-snowy days... boy did they perform in snow and slush.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 21, 2017, 06:52:22 pm »

Sweet deal, ESPECIALLY for 17s.   :)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #298 on: October 21, 2017, 07:26:09 pm »

He’s just copying me. Scroll back a couple of posts and you will see that I got 9/32 tread depth 235/45/17s for $250 on Kijiji LOL.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 21, 2017, 07:35:58 pm »

He’s just copying me. Scroll back a couple of posts and you will see that I got 9/32 tread depth 235/45/17s for $250 on Kijiji LOL.
Gotta keep up with the Jonses [emoji14]