Author Topic: First Drive: 2012 Hyundai Veloster  (Read 27015 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: First Drive: 2012 Hyundai Veloster
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 08:27:04 am »
Nice package but at 138 hp this thing would not be fun at all. It needs a 170 hp plant at a minimum.

From an car enthusiast perspective I would agree.  But I'm sure it is plenty of fun to drive for the average buyer.  IMHO, it's one of the best overall packages on the market today when looking at styling, price, fuel efficiency, and feature set. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 08:41:11 am »
Nice package but at 138 hp this thing would not be fun at all. It needs a 170 hp plant at a minimum.

From an car enthusiast perspective I would agree.  But I'm sure it is plenty of fun to drive for the average buyer.  IMHO, it's one of the best overall packages on the market today when looking at styling, price, fuel efficiency, and feature set. 

From a practicality perspective if this car is full of 3 people and luggage it will be a dog on the highway. I have not driven this one but a number of sub 150 HP compact hatches with people in them and it made passing a nightmare. Why inject all this sportiness into a car then offer a weezer of an engine.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:42:55 am by Snowman »

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 08:45:06 am »

From a practicality perspective if this car is full of 3 people and luggage it will be a dog on the highway. I have not driven this one but a number of sub 150 HP compact hatches with people in them and it made passing a nightmare. Why inject all this sportiness into a car then offer a weezer of an engine.

$18k, that's why.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 08:45:53 am »

Well, the same could be said about the Civic Coupe and the Mazda3 hatch then.  The Civic only has 2 more HP and the Mazda3 10 more HP.  The turbo Velostar is coming down the pipe and that will cater more to the enthusiasts.  

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 08:53:31 am »

There are probably more sub 150 bhp cars in the world that those with >150 bhp.  If one is driving a less powerful car one has to be more careful about passing on 2 lane roads...so what.  On expressways, as long as you can keep up with the 18 wheelers...who cares how long it takes to pass.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 09:18:00 am »

There are probably more sub 150 bhp cars in the world that those with >150 bhp.  If one is driving a less powerful car one has to be more careful about passing on 2 lane roads...so what.  On expressways, as long as you can keep up with the 18 wheelers...who cares how long it takes to pass.

Good point and if the majority of driving is on a 400 series highway then perhaps it will be adequate. My rural roots would want >150 HP...Just stay out of the left lanes and don't pretend to be driving a sporty car  :)

richink

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 10:25:07 am »
might be a good time to buy stock in fart-pipe exhaust tip manufacturers, "Euro" taillight makers, and "No Fear" windshield shade producers again.

But I hear you, these kids and their so-called upgrades are laughable, kinda like a big 'ole fart with no stank. I for one prefer the blub-blub-blub of an old big block or the near-silent thrust of modern turbo-Euro cars.

You guys...

:rofl2:

Hey what's with the old timer joke? Olds and I are just keeping it real here...

I do have to say that it took all in me to resist bursting out laughing at your rebuttle. I have to maintain a sense of decorum in my company's office :P

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 10:28:39 am »
I wonder how many Genesis Coupe buyers will be swayed to the more practical and cheaper Velostar.

Completely different cars IMHO.  Why would someone wanting RWD fun go for a Veloster?  I certainly wouldn't, even though it is a nice little car.  The driving dynamics of the GC are far better.  And I would bet on the GC being as practical.

How do you know that?  Veloster could be a much better handling car than GC.  There are a couple of FWD cars that handle much better than RWD GC.  Not saying it will be true but you newer know until you drive them. 

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12357
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 10:31:37 am »

Well, the same could be said about the Civic Coupe and the Mazda3 hatch then.  The Civic only has 2 more HP and the Mazda3 10 more HP.  The turbo Velostar is coming down the pipe and that will cater more to the enthusiasts.  

Agreed.  It apears to be fun to drive, economical, practical and affordable.  Not a bad set of virtues.  More power is coming for those that want it.  Like me.  :)

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline jj72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 10:43:21 am »
I would consider this car as a second vehicle for sure.  This could be my winter car and use it to move my camera equipment since a two seat convertible is not really a daily driver.  Cheap on gas, haul stuff around and not your plain old silver sedan or hatch that litter the street at every turn.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 10:49:46 am »
There are a couple of FWD cars that handle much better than RWD GC. 

Emphasis added.  List, please.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 11:04:44 am »
the Veloster is now on Hyundai Canada's website (and not just a "preview/coming soon" splash any more).

http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/showroom/showroom.aspx?model=Veloster
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 11:23:43 am »
There are a couple of FWD cars that handle much better than RWD GC. 

Emphasis added.  List, please.

Previous Gen Honda Civic Si (have not sampled new one yet)
VW GTI
MazdaSpeed 3
Old Cobalt SS Turbo

All cars that outhandle the GC Turbo even though they are all FWD cars.

vdk

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 11:37:03 am »
3:13.0 CHEVROLET COBALT SS

3:13.8 HYUNDAI GENESIS COUPE 3.8 R-SPEC

3:16.0 MAZDASPEED 3

3:19.3 VOLKSWAGEN GTI MkVI

C&D Lightning Lap

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 01:23:28 pm »
3:13.0 CHEVROLET COBALT SS

3:13.8 HYUNDAI GENESIS COUPE 3.8 R-SPEC

3:16.0 MAZDASPEED 3

3:19.3 VOLKSWAGEN GTI MkVI

C&D Lightning Lap

Was talking Turbo Genesis.  But even the top spec R model got beat by Cobalt.  Either way power doesn't equal handling nor does RWD automatically mean better handling than FWD.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 08:23:24 pm »
I wonder how many Genesis Coupe buyers will be swayed to the more practical and cheaper Velostar.

Completely different cars IMHO.  Why would someone wanting RWD fun go for a Veloster?  I certainly wouldn't, even though it is a nice little car.  The driving dynamics of the GC are far better.  And I would bet on the GC being as practical.

How do you know that?  Veloster could be a much better handling car than GC.  There are a couple of FWD cars that handle much better than RWD GC.  Not saying it will be true but you newer know until you drive them. 

Because I'm probably one of the only people on here that has driven both for starters.

Secondly (and vdk), my comment wasn't about lap times, it was about handling and feel.  I love RWD drive cars because I love the way they drive, I know there are very good handling FWD cars out there, but RWD is my preferred layout.  So all things being equal, if someone was specifically looking for a RWD fun sporty car the GC would make a better choice than the veloster.  If it's just practical fun you are after then the veloster might do.

Again, some people don't care about the drivetrain layout and will choose based on other factors, but the GC was designed as a sports coupe, the veloster as a warm hatch, that to me says it all.

The veloster has a slightly larger trunk (5 cubic feet) but the opening is very small, not sure if you could get a hockey bag in there easily.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 08:42:04 pm »
....the GC was designed as a sports coupe, the veloster as a warm hatch, that to me says it all.

InsideLine would agree with your assessment of the Veloster TB...it's not a hot hatch...but a warm hatch.

"we have to keep reminding ourselves that this is not a hot hatch, it's an eco-minded hatchback that is rated at 40 mpg on the highway when equipped with the standard six-speed manual transmission"

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/veloster/2012/2012-hyundai-veloster-first-drive-1.html

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 08:47:26 pm »

Completely different cars IMHO.  Why would someone wanting RWD fun go for a Veloster?  I certainly wouldn't, even though it is a nice little car. 

Completely agree.  Totally different cars.  The base Mustang is only $3k over a base Focus hatch, yet I highly doubt many people will cross shop the two as they are two totally different cars. 

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 11:27:31 pm »
Saw a couple at the dealer today. Sure is sharp looking little car.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 11:32:08 pm »
Lap times are no indicator of feel, or fun.  I've driven a Speed3 and the GC, and no matter which one posts faster times, I greatly prefer the RWD feel of the Hyundai.  Sure, the Mazda is a fast car, and in the right hands, rips up a track, but for me, the torque steer and FWD feel is far from ideal.

Drive an early 116hp Miata to see how much fun a "slow" car can be...