Author Topic: Hello from Mississauga, Ontario!  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Jack007

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Pontiac Vibe 2003, Toyota Corolla 1993
Hello from Mississauga, Ontario!
« on: February 14, 2023, 08:58:25 pm »
Hello!

I live in Mississauga, Ontario and have owned a 2003 Pontiac Vibe since 2002.

In 2002 I was “forced” to buy a new car as my General Motors Visa Card points (worth about $3,800) were about to expire. I realized that my choices were limited to several rather mediocre vehicles (the Malibu, Alero, Cavalier, Saturn and the Impala—which was too big for me). So I joined an auto forum and posted a question, asking for a recommendation as to which car I should buy. Lo and behold, somebody immediately suggested a Pontiac Vibe (I had never heard of it before), a totally new car which, for all intents and purposes, was a Toyota!

I went to the local dealership and since it only had one demo model with a manual transmission (which I don’t know how to drive), I spent almost 2 hours inside the car, checking out all the nooks and crannies—and I really liked it. So without even taking it for a test drive, I bought it. Because the Vibe was selling like hot cakes, I hardly got any discount and had to wait for over 4 months for delivery.

I’ve been very satisfied with this car, I’ve driven 224,000 km, it’s been very reliable and I love it! Three years ago I had to change the transmission and that was the only major repair in the period of my ownership of 20+ years.

However, I know that sooner or later I’ll have to buy a new vehicle. I’ve already done a lot of research, yet I’d love to discuss all pros and cons of various models here—that’s the main reason I joined this forum.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Mississauga, Ontario!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 09:03:29 pm »
^^Solid car.

Welcome.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 09:09:31 pm »
A former owner of a Vibe (PJungnitsch) just bought a Subaru Crosstrek, as few others did too  ;D

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=119664.0
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 10:26:31 pm »
Yeah, welcome! I really liked my 2004 Vibe. Fun to drive with the manual, and super functional. Loved the fold flat passenger seat for hauling long things

Did hear the 2003's could have trouble with a certain bearing in the transmission, my sisters Matrix failed at about 170,000 but my 2004 was fine

Replaced it with a Crosstrek as mentioned this fall, thought it was time to get something newer and AWD with modern safety gear

Not the thing if you want something different, finding the Crosstrek more or less like an updated Vibe, which I like a lot:

Offline Jack007

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 08:03:10 pm »
Thanks for your comments!

A friend of mine has a Honda HR-V. When it parked it next to my Vibe, both cars looked so similar! Yet I’d like my next car to be a little bigger.

Currently I drive about 10,000 km per year, so I hope the Vibe will last for a while. Yet I’ve been following the new car market and most likely I’ll buy a small SUV. I’ve been interested in the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, Subaru Forester and even the Subaru Outback. I also consider buying a very small trailer (like a teardrop) which can be comfortably towed—yes, I love camping.

All Subaru owners that I’ve met are very happy with their cars. Nevertheless I’m a little concerned about parts (may be more expensive and more difficult to get), as I don’t really see too many Subaru vehicles on Ontario roads (they seem to be much more popular in the USA). On the other hand the CR-V and RAV-4 are ubiquitous.

By the way, I also own a Toyota Corolla-I bought it new in 1993 and even though it’s almost 30 years old (200,000 km), the engine runs better than the Vibe’s!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 08:33:30 pm »

A friend of mine has a Honda HR-V. When it parked it next to my Vibe, both cars looked so similar! Yet I’d like my next car to be a little bigger.

Currently I drive about 10,000 km per year, so I hope the Vibe will last for a while. Yet I’ve been following the new car market and most likely I’ll buy a small SUV. I’ve been interested in the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, Subaru Forester and even the Subaru Outback. I also consider buying a very small trailer (like a teardrop) which can be comfortably towed—yes, I love camping.

All Subaru owners that I’ve met are very happy with their cars. Nevertheless I’m a little concerned about parts (may be more expensive and more difficult to get), as I don’t really see too many Subaru vehicles on Ontario roads (they seem to be much more popular in the USA). On the other hand the CR-V and RAV-4 are ubiquitous.

By the way, I also own a Toyota Corolla-I bought it new in 1993 and even though it’s almost 30 years old (200,000 km), the engine runs better than the Vibe’s!

It's been raining Crosstreks in here for months now!  ;D 

Welcome!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 09:46:48 am »

The Vibe is very much the same as a Corolla mechanical-wise.   We had a 2005 AWD Vibe, nice little car, but it got totalled.   We did tow with it, an open trailer with two motorcycles, about 3000km.  It was underpowered, but there weren't any big hills and we did fine.   We did upgrade to an Outback with a 6cyl and it did better, but I bet a 2.5 4-cylinder would be equally as anemic at towing as the Vibe was.
There is no real problem getting Subaru parts, but there are some engines to be wary of. (head gaskets)
Mr Pickypants

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 10:12:22 am »
Welcome!  My brother has a Vibe too and loves it.  seams like you keep your cars for ever.    If you tow a small trailer maybe getting base model Rav4-trail is rated for 3500lbs.  the Mazda cx5 is rated for 2000lbs.  Both has geared transmission(not CVT).    I know some tear drop are very light...

Offline Jack007

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 06:29:48 pm »
Blur911 & WP v3.32: What about the head gaskets? Which models should I avoid? I have read a little about the Outback model with the turbo engine (then it can tow up to 3,500 lb.), but I don’t want to get one—from what I’ve read, turbo engines are more prone to break down and my mechanic confirmed that. I don’t think the Outback comes with 6 cylinders anymore.

A few years after I bought the Vibe, I read that it was rated to most reliable GM vehicle. No wonder—it was like a Japanese car! There is a guy in Mississauga, driving a Toyota Matrix and it has a big sign attached to the back. Some 3 years ago it said that its odometer had about 920,000 km and he was trying to reach one million! BTW, the odometers in the Vibe & Matrix stop at 299,999 km.

As I mentioned above, I know that the Outback with the turbo engine could tow up to 3,500 lb., and the RAV-4 Trail model can also tow 3,500 lb., yet I’d rather buy a mid-size SUV if I really wanted to buy a bigger trailer. I think I’ll look for something minimalistic small, cozy and light. And I just found out that Canada’s Largest RV Show is going to take place from March 2nd to March 5th, 2023 at The International Centre in Mississauga—I’ll do my best to attend!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 08:53:22 pm »
Blur911 & WP v3.32: What about the head gaskets? Which models should I avoid? I have read a little about the Outback model with the turbo engine (then it can tow up to 3,500 lb.), but I don’t want to get one—from what I’ve read, turbo engines are more prone to break down and my mechanic confirmed that. I don’t think the Outback comes with 6 cylinders anymore.

One of the Subaru engines to avoid is the EJ25, mine is about to hit 370k so... YMMV.    ;D

Offline LanderGX

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: F150
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2023, 02:02:40 am »
225k km? Man, that really grew on you!

Offline Christy_Wesley

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile