Author Topic: Some People ...  (Read 450227 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Some People ...
« Reply #1000 on: September 21, 2017, 08:34:22 pm »
I feel for families that are in a tough spot like that, struggling despite on having car payments. Good on you tooscoops.

I think the safety rating of a newer car would cause these newer cars to have less accident/injury/death claims. It's the injuries that cost insurance companies a fortune, followed by death. Fixing or replacing the car is peanuts.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 21, 2017, 10:26:58 pm »
Tooscoops...he's golden  ;D

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #1002 on: September 23, 2017, 01:23:42 pm »
I feel for families that are in a tough spot like that, struggling despite on having car payments. Good on you tooscoops.

I think the safety rating of a newer car would cause these newer cars to have less accident/injury/death claims. It's the injuries that cost insurance companies a fortune, followed by death. Fixing or replacing the car is peanuts.

exactly. the insurance is cheaper on almost all newer cars... especially on that one since it was owned outright... no banks saying how much coverage they NEED to have or anything...

this young family were basically saying, "i can't afford this free car"... yet didn't actually see that as a problem.

nice gif BW... dog was probably being nice, and the cat just wanted to bite him.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1003 on: September 23, 2017, 01:43:29 pm »
Edmonton can be a tough city to live and work in without a car.  My daughter has been using the public transit system for a some years and is very adept at it, and when she was looking at job opportunities, realized that she wouldn't be able to make many of them work due to transit limitations.  Low income people often can't afford the extra hour to two hours a day riding a bus thanks to child care restrictions and things like that.

exactly. the insurance is cheaper on almost all newer cars...

That's not true, at least not in Alberta.  My daughter pays the same for liability on her old Forester as she would on a new car.  It's the collision and comprehensive rates that are influenced by the vehicle itself.  That's why it's much more economical for her to drive an old car - no need to add that extra insurance.  We pay the same annual fee for each of out three cars for liability, the difference in rates is for the collision insurance on each of them.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #1004 on: September 23, 2017, 08:02:46 pm »
Alberta is weird for insurance. Premium difference between our Yukon Denali with full coverage and the Dodge Caravan with only one way is less than $200 per year.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1005 on: September 23, 2017, 08:31:03 pm »
Alberta is weird for insurance. Premium difference between our Yukon Denali with full coverage and the Dodge Caravan with only one way is less than $200 per year.

If you're a six-star driver in Alberta, there's not a lot of variance in insurance rates.  For the Corolla, we pay about $450 for the liability and another $300 for the $250/dd complete coverage.  The Highlander is about the same cost.  I priced out a new Highlander - about the same.

Who gets slammed on adding full insurance (collision, etc) are young/new drivers.  But, not as bad as Ontario, and not as bad as it was 10 years ago.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: September 24, 2017, 02:01:56 am »
nice gif BW... dog was probably being nice, and the cat just wanted to bite him.

You'd be surprised...that's what Golden's do.  Our cat is always attacking the dog...chews on his legs, swats him in the face...he just looks...perplexed, "what should I do? Are you going to save me?"  :'( It's almost like every Golden has the same exact DNA and personality.  Very weird really. 

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1007 on: September 24, 2017, 07:07:58 am »
exactly. the insurance is cheaper on almost all newer cars... especially on that one since it was owned outright... no banks saying how much coverage they NEED to have or anything...

Yeah, insurance for my wife's brand new Mini is slightly cheaper than it was for her 2007 Mini.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: September 24, 2017, 11:26:54 am »
After doing a used car appraisal, one of my co-workers walked back into the office and was white as a ghost. "You won't believe this," he said.

He was appraising a woman's Pacifica and not only did she insist on coming along during the appraisal, she insisted on driving - something about her not trusting anyone else to be a good driver. Usually that would be an issue but her car was only a year old and still under warranty. She seemed a little eccentric so he figured what the heck, let her drive and go with the flow. Then the horror started.

As the drive started, it became very clear that she was super-proud of the Pacifica's safety features, especially the feature that "tells you exactly when it is safe to change lanes." Just as they passed a car the woman signaled and went to move into that car's lane. "Uh, there's a car there," said the appraiser.

The woman did not respond and kept moving over. The Blind Spot System flashed and dinged.

"There see? It's telling me that I can move over!" As the the other driver jams on his brakes and honks his horn , the woman is oblivious to it all.

The appraiser got her into the curb lane and guided her back to the dealership. This woman was probably one of those people that brags about never being in an accident even though they leave a trail of them in their wake. The appraiser became quite angry over the incident - "Never again...they want me to buy their *****ng car? I'm driving it!"

Oh, and she didn't make her deal. Apparently, she demanded thousands more than the going asking price for her car.

"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: September 24, 2017, 11:37:55 am »
And this my friends is why motorcyclists will continue to die on the roads.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: September 24, 2017, 12:47:04 pm »
That Pacifica was dark blue?  I'm 99% I had an encounter with her on the Henday about two weeks ago.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: September 24, 2017, 06:55:55 pm »
not just motorcyclist but everyone....

I respectfully disagree. Getting sideswiped by a car in another car is inconvenient, maybe a minor checkup for bruises etc. at worst. Getting sideswiped on a motorcycle can be fatal.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #1012 on: September 24, 2017, 07:10:50 pm »
not just motorcyclist but everyone....

I respectfully disagree. Getting sideswiped by a car in another car is inconvenient, maybe a minor checkup for bruises etc. at worst. Getting sideswiped on a motorcycle can be fatal.
And if the sideswiped car goes push up on to a sidewalk and takes out some people who at walking and are killed , that not worst  ::)

Really wongpong is correct

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: September 24, 2017, 10:02:11 pm »
And if the sideswiped car goes push up on to a sidewalk and takes out some people who at walking and are killed , that not worst  ::)

I assume he meant motorists. I rarely hear of pedestrians getting hurt on sidewalks, I walk more often than you probably assume and that danger never crosses my mind.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #1014 on: September 24, 2017, 10:25:09 pm »

Funny you say that, almost took out 4 or 5 motorcyclists today. 

There are on the right shoulder.  One put his left signal light on to merge back on to the single line highway (80 km/h zone).   I am driving the Hyundai Entourage van around 90km/h.  Not sure about the exact distance, approx 6-8 car lengths.  He just assumes I am going to slam on the brakes so he and his buddies can merge onto the highway.  It wasn't a busy road, they could have waited a few cars to merge easily.  But sure enough, I have to hit the brakes hard enough that the seat belts lock.  To make matters worse, 300m ahead, they pull into a friggin Tim Hortons, to meet some more guys on motorcycles.    Felt like using my front bumper to rub his back tire!

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1015 on: September 24, 2017, 10:32:43 pm »

Funny you say that, almost took out 4 or 5 motorcyclists today. 

There are on the right shoulder.  One put his left signal light on to merge back on to the single line highway (80 km/h zone).   I am driving the Hyundai Entourage van around 90km/h.  Not sure about the exact distance, approx 6-8 car lengths.  He just assumes I am going to slam on the brakes so he and his buddies can merge onto the highway.  It wasn't a busy road, they could have waited a few cars to merge easily.  But sure enough, I have to hit the brakes hard enough that the seat belts lock.  To make matters worse, 300m ahead, they pull into a friggin Tim Hortons, to meet some more guys on motorcycles.    Felt like using my front bumper to rub his back tire!

Ugh. Ran across a group of motorcyclists today in Maine, probably ten of them. They were going a bit slow but whatever. We get to a town and there's now two lanes of traffic each way and of course they use both lanes, switch lanes without signalling, etc. Thankfully they turned into a gas station and I was able to get by them.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #1016 on: September 25, 2017, 07:18:50 am »

I assume he meant motorists. I rarely hear of pedestrians getting hurt on sidewalks, I walk more often than you probably assume and that danger never crosses my mind.
I bet in GTA there is a story once every couple months about pedestrian getting hit
But really my post was about Wongpong was right , saying a driver who only depends on Nannies to drive are a  menace to everyone not just bikers

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #1017 on: September 25, 2017, 10:24:31 am »
agreed... menace to everyone, and a sideswipe on a bumper can cause a full spin/flip, so pretty dangerous. on the roads i travel, the majority of accidents are caused by improper lane changes, then the car behind going 110 smashes into the car that is suddenly sideways and moving forward at 30km/hr.

the lady with the pacifica... what the hell was she trying to get? bought the pacifica at it's launch price and wants out of it already? damn... that would be a big hit. people don't seem to understand trade values... they shop at the places with the lowest prices, still claim, "i know you need to make money and that is fair", but then want you to give them over retail value on a trade.... sooo.... how do we make the money if we are selling cars cheaper and giving more than retail on the trade? not difficult to grasp.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1018 on: September 25, 2017, 10:32:41 am »
Yeah, for instance my dads insurance went down by $60/year when he bought the Sequoia and traded in the Avalanche. We were both confused as the Sequoia is both newer and more valuable.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: September 25, 2017, 10:37:28 am »
yeah, i think the alberta thing is more the exception to the rule. and one rule that i feel makes perfect sense.

which car is more likely to hurt/kill someone (either in the car, in another, or out near a road)? a new car with abs, collision mitigation, pedestrian detection, a plethora of airbags and all new parts, or an old civic with one airbag for the driver (that causes more damage than it prevents in many cases), drum brakes, old worn headlights and all other parts at the end of their life?