Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Toyota Prius c Technology  (Read 11927 times)

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Toyota Prius c Technology
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 02:13:59 pm »
We leased a base model Prius C as our office car in February, to replace our 2008 Fit, which was to be returned. We pay $302 a month for it with no down payment. It now has 12,000 km on it and is averaging 4.4 l /100km and nobody is trying to eke out the smallest number. The Fit averaged 8.5 in Vancouver traffic. We will put approximately 100,000 km on this car in five years and the Prius will save us 2000 litres of fuel. At present prices that is $2700 in fuel, which makes up for the extra cost of the hybrid. The real benefit, of course, will be on the resale of the hybrid.

The car is nimble, easy to park and has good room for light delivery. The staff love it since it is easy to drive  and can take a reasonable load. The residual is $8500 after five years and I am confident it will be worth more than that; our Fit resold at better than the residual.

So far, no issues. The first tanks of fuel were in the 6-7 L/ 100km range but that got much better when the car reached 5000 km.

The tech package isn't worth it in my opinion so we didn't take it.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-6810
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 02:15:04 pm »
news flash:
cars are expensive.

and as it's already being stated, you need to compare properly with prices.
it's easy to look at some add and see how affordable the car companies are making things look.
But peel back the smoke and mirrors and you learn how quickly prices go up.

the Tech package is a completely loaded vehicle. (at least that's as loaded as you're getting it)
It's actually a nice little car.  If you don't need a big car and want some creature comforts.
My wife drives a Yaris and her friend recently bought this car with the same package.  My wife feels this thing is far nicer, drive better.   They're nearly the same car, just hers is older and lacks many of the options the tech package features. 

Pricing...

here's a great example of how insane things can get.
Hyundai Tuscon... every add will show this car at $19,999.00
BUT... if you want to drive off the dealer lot with the completely fully loaded version... i know someone who's paying off a $42,000 loan for this car.   FOURTY TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS for a $20K vehicle!!!!!!!!!!  How the heck does that happen!!!!
I just think, but they could have bought a million other vehicles instead at that price!!!!!

the point here is, until you actually start to build and price a vehicle, you don't really know what the real cost is.  Unless of course you want the bottom of the line, bare bones model.

:fiver:

- 4 trim levels of Prius C of which the Prius C "upgrade" is the cheapest, but more livable.
- Prius C Tech "premium" is getting to the point that the buyer is not bothered by the fact that they have exceeded the "value ceiling".
- Prius C rides and handles nothing like a Yaris.

Finally what ppl don't get who haven't had extended seat time in a Toyota Hybrid; the opportunity to drive on battery only.  This applies to urban driving and if your the type of person that likes going down 50 km/h streets in silence or going thru the TIM's of the world in SILENCE then the cost is in line with what you get.

Sure, an Accent is an alternative.  Just think, 80 degrees F, stop and go traffic, idling, drive belt spinning the AC, alternator, etc., all located on idlers that wear out along with the starter and the brakes ....  same old sh*t.  But on the flip side an Accent might be better in very cold environments such as anything other than BC's lower mainland, Toronto, Niagara and Windsor areas.

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 03:17:24 pm »
If I was going the hybrid route, I will simply pony up a few extra grand and get the 'regular' Prius - substantially bigger and better drive I suppose.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 03:27:26 pm »
Prius C rides and handles nothing like a Yaris

to correct, i haven't driven the Prius C - but i do beleive it's based on the Yaris.
I've driven the Yaris and Matrix (our current crop of vehicles)
my guess is the ride in the Prius C is better than the Yaris, since my wife enjoyed the ride in her friend's car more than her own. 

if your the type of person that likes going down 50 km/h streets in silence

they say silence is golden.  the hybrids are pretty silent!
my neighbour across the street has the regular Prius and always freaks me out when he gets home just after I do.  I can't hear him come down the street or pull in the driveway as i'm getting ready to get out of my car.  I'm only made aware of his existance when the door shuts!
LOL

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 05:38:50 pm »
I know someone who has one of these, and claims it's useless in the winter, due to the computer programming not allowing any wheelspin whatsoever.  So if you have one tire on ice, the car is basically crippled.  Do all prii suffer from this?

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 06:18:33 pm »
I know someone who has one of these, and claims it's useless in the winter, due to the computer programming not allowing any wheelspin whatsoever.  So if you have one tire on ice, the car is basically crippled.  Do all prii suffer from this?

No I think this happens to any  car with  traction control.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1249/-7194
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 06:22:48 pm »

Yep.  Unless you can completely defeat/turn off the traction control
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 06:25:52 pm »

Got a ride in a Prius taxi from Big White ski resort a couple weeks ago - I asked the cabbie how it handled in the snow.  He said that there was a way to disable the traction control (somewhere in the multitude of pages on the monitor), and that it was fine in the snow after that.  Apparently all the other Kelowna Prius taxis thanked him for sharing that...

He said his overall fuel economy was about 7.5L / 100 km over ~ 250K km.  I didn't think that was very impressive, until he said he averaged about 12L / 100 km in a 4-cylinder camry.  Must drive like the autos.ca editors!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 06:34:10 pm »

Got a ride in a Prius taxi from Big White ski resort a couple weeks ago - I asked the cabbie how it handled in the snow.  He said that there was a way to disable the traction control (somewhere in the multitude of pages on the monitor), and that it was fine in the snow after that.  Apparently all the other Kelowna Prius taxis thanked him for sharing that...

He said his overall fuel economy was about 7.5L / 100 km over ~ 250K km.  I didn't think that was very impressive, until he said he averaged about 12L / 100 km in a 4-cylinder camry.  Must drive like the autos.ca editors!

In the Prius you can do what I had to do with my IS350 to completely disable traction control.

Here's the routine for the Prius:

Step 1: Set the ignition switch to ON, not READY. To do this press the power button two times, without pressing the brake pedal.

Step 2: While the transmission is still in park (P), fully press the gas pedal two times.

Step 3: Apply the parking brake to ensure that the vehicle will not move during this step. Put the transmission in neutral (N) and fully press the gas pedal two times.

Step 4: Put the transmission back in park (P) and fully press the gas pedal two times. The car will display “!Car!” in the upper left corner of the LCD screen.

Step 5: Press the brake pedal and turn the ignition switch to the start position, without going back to the ready position, to start the engine.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 08:18:05 pm »

In the Prius you can do what I had to do with my IS350 to completely disable traction control.

Here's the routine for the Prius:

Step 1: Set the ignition switch to ON, not READY. To do this press the power button two times, without pressing the brake pedal.

Step 2: While the transmission is still in park (P), fully press the gas pedal two times.

Step 3: Apply the parking brake to ensure that the vehicle will not move during this step. Put the transmission in neutral (N) and fully press the gas pedal two times.

Step 4: Put the transmission back in park (P) and fully press the gas pedal two times. The car will display “!Car!” in the upper left corner of the LCD screen.

Step 5: Press the brake pedal and turn the ignition switch to the start position, without going back to the ready position, to start the engine.

??? :rofl2:

In my Audi:

Step 1: Press button.

In my Venza:

Step 1: Press button.

In my S2000:

Step 1: Drive.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 08:20:04 pm »
Yea..some cars are like that.  My GS400, IS300.  And none in the 911.

For 2008 they put a disable button in the IS350.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 08:32:45 pm »

First thing I do in any car I drive, turn it off.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 08:46:48 pm »

My IS350 was crazy with it off.  VERY squirrely.

But you use the AWD crutch...which is easier to drive already.  AWD is = to driving a car with VSC on.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:48:24 pm by rrocket »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 08:55:09 pm »

But you use the AWD crutch...which is easier to drive already.  AWD is = to driving a car with VSC on.

No such such thing in the S2000, 100% driver.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 09:04:26 pm »

I've driven the S2000 many times.  One of my favorites!!  But it doesn't have enough TQ to get you into trouble like other cars.  Once you're rolling, being sloppy with the throttle isn't going to light up the tires at least.

It's weak sauce in the TQ department.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 09:21:03 pm »

I've driven the S2000 many times.  One of my favorites!!  But it doesn't have enough TQ to get you into trouble like other cars.  Once you're rolling, being sloppy with the throttle isn't going to light up the tires at least.

Its not a drift car. It is a perfect balance.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 09:21:31 pm »

Next time we're together I want to drive that :censor: thing

Not a problem, next GTG I will take the S.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 09:28:02 pm »

Its not a drift car. It is a perfect balance.

Which is why on the street you're not likely to get into trouble with that car.  I drove it on a private, closed off street and try as I may to get into trouble (within reason) I could not.  I agree...it's  a great balance.  Which gives great handling.  Which doesn't need/require traction control or VSC.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 09:28:54 pm »

Bonus

You're in for a treat.  It's a wonderful car.  Better than a Boxster IMO.  IQ and I both preferred the S2000 to the Boxster.

I still want an S2000 with a Greddy turbo kit on it.  Fell in love after one drive...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-401
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 10:57:25 pm »
Every few months I succumb to weakness and spend an evening/night on AutoTrader looking at used S2000s. Huge soft spot; I want one.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks