Author Topic: New Prelude?  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: New Prelude?
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2023, 07:40:50 pm »
Electric.  Yawn.
Prepare to be bored from here on out on vehicles being released, everything will have some sort of electric powertrain in it.

That's a fact - perpetual boredom with automobiles is definitely in my future.  And near future, at that.

I see many used cars in my future.

My brother and I were talking about this the other day – Honda killed the Prelude 22 years. At least they offered sporty Civic and Accord coupes since, but those are both gone now. Then they wait to jump on the EV bandwagon to bring the Prelude name back with a great looking coupe – an actual coupe! I could buy the argument that they're targeting younger buyers who want EVs but I find it hard to believe that those younger buyers give an eff about the Prelude name. It's just so frustrating. Does Honda really think that millennials and older gen Xers who loved Preludes but couldn't afford them back then will want to buy this one?

:iagree:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2023, 12:13:32 am »
Make this a Type R Coupe with the existing FK8 underpinnings and running gear.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2023, 11:19:15 am »
My cousin had one of these way back in the day, now I've liked a very select few FWD cars in my life, but I absolutely loved this thing, it was so gorgeous, and it revved like nothing else.

Come on Honda, all of Sport Compact Car readers from back in the day are making proper adult money now and would love a Prelude with an actual engine in it, not a golf cart drivetrain. It really pisses me off because it actually doesn't look too bad.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2023, 01:05:14 pm »
Electric.  Yawn.
Prepare to be bored from here on out on vehicles being released, everything will have some sort of electric powertrain in it.

That's a fact - perpetual boredom with automobiles is definitely in my future.  And near future, at that.

Oh, my friend, the next time I've got one of the good EVs for a week (think Taycan, RSeTronGT, etc.) I need to share just how exciting these things can be. Exhaust smells and noise do not necessarily make for an exciting car.
Speed is only one aspect of excitement.  No one is denying that these cars can give you speed that is exciting, but I've found that the speed to me is a thrill that you feel for a short period and then the party trick leaves you cold.  Some of the most exciting vehicles aren't overly fast, but their character and personality are the things that excite you.  I'm speaking personally, there will certainly be others that fall in love with the EV's speed, lack of noise, the ease of creating that speed, and all the tech.  I would be perfectly happy with all these EV's existing...if there was also room for the ICE vehicles that I love to continue to exist, but that seems to be coming to an end.

But the Taycan is also thrilling in the way it turns and brakes, too.  Everything one expects from a modern high performance car is there, minus the loud pipes and intake noise.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2023, 01:08:31 pm »
Electric.  Yawn.

Oh, my friend, the next time I've got one of the good EVs for a week (think Taycan, RSeTronGT, etc.) I need to share just how exciting these things can be. Exhaust smells and noise do not necessarily make for an exciting car.
Speed is only one aspect of excitement.  No one is denying that these cars can give you speed that is exciting, but I've found that the speed to me is a thrill that you feel for a short period and then the party trick leaves you cold.  Some of the most exciting vehicles aren't overly fast, but their character and personality are the things that excite you.  I'm speaking personally, there will certainly be others that fall in love with the EV's speed, lack of noise, the ease of creating that speed, and all the tech.  I would be perfectly happy with all these EV's existing...if there was also room for the ICE vehicles that I love to continue to exist, but that seems to be coming to an end.

But the Taycan is also thrilling in the way it turns and brakes, too.  Everything one expects from a modern high performance car is there, minus the loud pipes and intake noise.
It's automatic and too quiet.  Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic car, but if that was sitting in my driveway next to a manual 911, I'll alway pick the 911.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2023, 01:12:08 pm »
Electric.  Yawn.

It's automatic and too quiet.  Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic car, but if that was sitting in my driveway next to a manual 911, I'll alway pick the 911.

100% with you. The only EVs I actually like are the Taycan and the Audi Etron, but I would still take a 911 or an RS6 over either one without a second thought.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2023, 01:13:03 pm »
Electric.  Yawn.

Well, I can't argue you there!  :)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2023, 01:36:06 pm »
Electric.  Yawn.

:iagree:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2023, 01:50:16 pm »
Am I the only person that thinks we (Canada/US) won't be getting this and if we do, it will be so expensive nobody will want it.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2023, 03:23:12 pm »
Agreed. This feels a lot like when Honda's attempted to revive the CRX with the CRZ. Sure it was a compact 2-door hatch, but it was slow, expensive and complex.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2023, 03:35:16 pm »
I agree, if its fully electric its going to be pricey and won't sell that well.  How many two doors produced by the pedestrian manufacturers are having sales success these days?

On the other hand, maybe we should celebrate that Honda is looking to produce a sporty coupe.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.