Author Topic: Type R vs GR Corolla vs Golf R  (Read 5535 times)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Re: Type R vs GR Corolla vs Golf R
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2023, 10:07:22 am »
So much dash stroking for the Veedubs. If there are notable material downgrades in the interior of the last gen versus this gen, it'll mostly be noticed by past owners. Compared to other cars in the class, it only fails at some of its ergonomics (like all the haptic crap and non-illuminated slider panels), otherwise, after logging hundreds of miles in a current gen GTI and a couple of Golf Rs, I don't find it shameful at all in that class, especially given how refined the drive experience is.

The Civic Type R's seats are comfiest, but they don't feel fancier than the leather-clad Golf R seats. And I happen to like the meshy-dash treatment Honda is using, but it's not like it's made out of high end materials either. Rubberized plastics and printed patterns in plastic, just like everyone else.

The GR Corolla, does feel cheap.  Really cheap inside.  The door panels are especially spartan.  However, its drive experience is fantastic. It makes great noises, is wickedly easy to get in and simply drive hard.. and while it's almost become a cliched statement, this is the car to sooth the broken hearts of those wishing for a new Subie STI hatchback. If the drivetrain holds up to Toyota's typical durability, this thing should be a great long-term toy whose basic interior has the benefit of likely not wearing out like the painted and padded materials in the other two. This is a car I could own and be genuinely excited to get in an flog every. single. time. Whether going for milk at the corner store, commuting through traffic, or heading to the track, this thing is tons of accessible fun. And before you tell me that (according to Savage Geese) they're all plagued by overheating diffs, Mike (AutoGuide) and I flogged the hell out of these three (and an Elantra N) at the track for a day without a complaint from any of the cars.

The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2023, 06:00:19 pm »
So much dash stroking for the Veedubs. If there are notable material downgrades in the interior of the last gen versus this gen, it'll mostly be noticed by past owners. Compared to other cars in the class, it only fails at some of its ergonomics (like all the haptic crap and non-illuminated slider panels), otherwise, after logging hundreds of miles in a current gen GTI and a couple of Golf Rs, I don't find it shameful at all in that class, especially given how refined the drive experience is.

The Civic Type R's seats are comfiest, but they don't feel fancier than the leather-clad Golf R seats. And I happen to like the meshy-dash treatment Honda is using, but it's not like it's made out of high end materials either. Rubberized plastics and printed patterns in plastic, just like everyone else.

The GR Corolla, does feel cheap.  Really cheap inside.  The door panels are especially spartan.  However, its drive experience is fantastic. It makes great noises, is wickedly easy to get in and simply drive hard.. and while it's almost become a cliched statement, this is the car to sooth the broken hearts of those wishing for a new Subie STI hatchback. If the drivetrain holds up to Toyota's typical durability, this thing should be a great long-term toy whose basic interior has the benefit of likely not wearing out like the painted and padded materials in the other two. This is a car I could own and be genuinely excited to get in an flog every. single. time. Whether going for milk at the corner store, commuting through traffic, or heading to the track, this thing is tons of accessible fun. And before you tell me that (according to Savage Geese) they're all plagued by overheating diffs, Mike (AutoGuide) and I flogged the hell out of these three (and an Elantra N) at the track for a day without a complaint from any of the cars.

For $55K VW should be ashamed at the interior they are using.  It’s not even as nice as the $15K cheaper Elantra N.
Yes, I think that's what the issue is. VW has positioned themselves as more "premium".

And people therefore expect premium.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2023, 04:02:26 pm »

For $55K VW should be ashamed at the interior they are using.  It’s not even as nice as the $15K cheaper Elantra N.

Based on what?  The seats are better. The steering wheel feels better.  So the key interaction points are fine. The style of one's plastic doesn't agree with some as much as other plastics I guess.  It's not like anything in that category has leather-covered dash, and door panels.  Hell the IS500 I'm driving right now has plasticky-looking door panels.