Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Porsche 911 GT3  (Read 6813 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Porsche 911 GT3
« on: September 17, 2014, 06:30:45 am »

Like Jonathan wasn't enough of a Porsche fanboy already, now they let him drive the GT3. We'll never hear the end of this.
Read More...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Porsche 911 GT3
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 08:48:33 am »
:drool:

Great write up.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:21:36 am »
You boys all need GoPro's or some easy quick mount camera to make videos.  I don't even want to read (about) it...I just want to hear it.  And see you try to wipe what surely must have been a shi7 eating silly grin off your face.  Lucky... :thumbup:

Or get JP to do one for you if you're averse to cameras.  ;)

I concur, companion videos of you turning some very expensive tires into smoke would have been greatly appreciated.  I mean, you don't have to foot the bill for replacements, right?  Or, will you be saving the smoking videos for the Hellcat review? (speaking of which, I wonder if Chrysler is budgeting to replace tires on their press fleet at a prodigious rate).

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 09:23:54 am »
I concur, companion videos of you turning some very expensive tires into smoke would have been greatly appreciated. I mean, you don't have to foot the bill for replacements, right?  Or, will you be saving the smoking videos for the Hellcat review? (speaking of which, I wonder if Chrysler is budgeting to replace tires on their press fleet at a prodigious rate).

Sadly, this is not accurate. :(
Much to the dismay of my rugby teammates.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:43:20 am »
You boys all need GoPro's or some easy quick mount camera to make videos.  I don't even want to read (about) it...I just want to hear it.  And see you try to wipe what surely must have been a shi7 eating silly grin off your face.  Lucky... :thumbup:

I concur, companion videos of you turning some very expensive tires into smoke would have been greatly appreciated.  I mean, you don't have to foot the bill for replacements, right?  Or, will you be saving the smoking videos for the Hellcat review? (speaking of which, I wonder if Chrysler is budgeting to replace tires on their press fleet at a prodigious rate).

I'm not into vehicle or tire abuse, but I do have a start-up and full throttle exhaust note video i can dig up... I'll post it here later today.

And the grin remains even after a few weeks separated from this machine.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 09:44:18 am »
LOL such a naive view.  Chrysler can't afford tires lol

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 09:45:28 am »

I'm not into vehicle or tire abuse, but I do have a start-up and full throttle exhaust note video i can dig up... I'll post it here later today.

I WAS kidding, and I understand that the scalpel that is the GT3 is best not used for shredding rubber.

The Hellcat, on the other hand, had the President of SRT in the driver's seat doing a burnout.  So.....that should tell you what they think one purpose of that car is.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 10:14:46 am »

Great review and what a fantastic car!! I agree, more videos when it comes to cars like this, I don't think anyone cares about what a Sentra or Sienna sounds like at start up and WOT....cars like these....yes please!!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 10:18:16 am »
...and it shows - another great article!

I was driving to a golf tournament yesterday near Hamilton (hard day at work for a lawyer - hence my lack of posts - sorry to all my loyal followers  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:) and when I got off the 407, I caught up (in my Corolla) to a GT3.  Not sure of the year, and sadly no dashcam, but I followed it the rest of the way.  Hilariously, I missed my exit because I was watching the Porsche and not the road signs.  I sadly had to leave him behind and make it to the tournament on time, but what a beaut.  I saw his head bouncing around from every bump on the road, but he still seemed happy in his lil' mule.

When I got to the tournament, I was greeted with a lot of nice cars (and an X6...*sigh*).  Since it was a design in business advertising, I could talk about the cars, but not take photos of them.  One doctor there had a Telsa model S P85+.  He said he last charged it two days prior, drove from Toronto to Hamilton, and was planning on driving back.  The driving range still read 263km.  He let me drive it around the parking lot (:'( not big enough!!), but f*ck does that thing have the potential to burn through tires.  The doc said they last about 6,000km for him since he can't resist the torque.

...just a part of the cost of ownership, and he said, quite frankly, that he's happy to replace them.

Northernridge

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 10:37:52 am »
Here's Porsche's own promotional video for the GT3. I know it's propaganda but I don't give a sh!t, I bought it all, I'm smitten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzuPZv4ZrTU

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 11:20:17 am »
I know it's propaganda but I don't give a sh!t, I bought it all, I'm smitten.

:rofl2:
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 02:11:39 pm »
As much a I like the 911 for it's pure sports car accolades it just lacks the visual pizzazz that something like the Audi R8 brings to the table for me.

On second thought....lately I'm infatuated with the Jaguar F-TYPE Coupe. The car is stunning live and the R spec 550 hp V8 Supercharged engine can sing with the best.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 10:04:31 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 02:50:12 pm »
Awesome write-up, Jonathan. How appropriate the GT3 came in a shade of Drinking-The-Kool-Aid-Red ;D Only kidding - I'm an unapologetic 911 fanboy.

So I gotta ask: is the GT3, for all its drama and racing pedigree, actually fun to drive within city speed limits?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 03:28:57 pm »
My favourite 911 by a huge margin.  I'm an old fuddy-duddy so I'd still want a true three pedal manual.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 03:31:36 pm »
Here's Porsche's own promotional video for the GT3. I know it's propaganda but I don't give a sh!t, I bought it all, I'm smitten.

Fack! Autos.ca needs a track like that! who wants to sponsor us for track testing days?

but here, I found my pathetic attempt at a video - it ain't great, but the car caps rpms in neutral for the first few dips of throttle, so we didn't really get all the best noises. perhaps a gopro will be a good investment for next summer.

http://instagram.com/p/sKgOMaAHKh/

enjoy!

Yes lebowski, the GT3 is still fun - a 90-degree corner taken at the speed limit for the straights can be quite fun - there's no law against that, is there? the tension and composure in the chassis and steering when pushing just reasonably past legal limits is still thrilling and captivating. you feel the capability and the potential at most speeds, and while I did occasionally gear up, every turn was a test in balancing the desire to push and being responsible. plus, i know my spots, and after midnight they are pretty wide open, though construction blocked me from some of my favourite spots.

and redman, the R8 V10 does everything and has the visual drama, but the 911 planted the seeds 30 years ago (http://instagram.com/p/tAekz8gHPu/), so there is both an immediate aesthetic attraction and a nostalgic allure to it:

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 04:06:19 pm »

...and it shows - another great article!

I was driving to a golf tournament yesterday near Hamilton (hard day at work for a lawyer - hence my lack of posts - sorry to all my loyal followers  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:) and when I got off the 407, I caught up (in my Corolla) to a GT3.  Not sure of the year, and sadly no dashcam, but I followed it the rest of the way.  Hilariously, I missed my exit because I was watching the Porsche and not the road signs.  I sadly had to leave him behind and make it to the tournament on time, but what a beaut.  I saw his head bouncing around from every bump on the road, but he still seemed happy in his lil' mule.

When I got to the tournament, I was greeted with a lot of nice cars (and an X6...*sigh*).  Since it was a design in business advertising, I could talk about the cars, but not take photos of them.  One doctor there had a Telsa model S P85+.  He said he last charged it two days prior, drove from Toronto to Hamilton, and was planning on driving back.  The driving range still read 263km.  He let me drive it around the parking lot (:'( not big enough!!), but f*ck does that thing have the potential to burn through tires.  The doc said they last about 6,000km for him since he can't resist the torque.

...just a part of the cost of ownership, and he said, quite frankly, that he's happy to replace them.

Good story. 

---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 04:27:58 pm »
a 90-degree corner taken at the speed limit for the straights can be quite fun - there's no law against that, is there?
I can sadly advise that yes, yes there are laws against that.  Many that will fit the bill, even if not direct.  Careless driving, for example, would stick.   Dangerous driving could also be applied.  ...and let's not forget the law against riding a sleigh on the highway without the requisite number of bells. ;)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 04:43:38 pm »

Fack! Autos.ca needs a track like that! who wants to sponsor us for track testing days?

but here, I found my pathetic attempt at a video - it ain't great, but the car caps rpms in neutral for the first few dips of throttle, so we didn't really get all the best noises. perhaps a gopro will be a good investment for next summer.

http://instagram.com/p/sKgOMaAHKh/

enjoy!

Yes lebowski, the GT3 is still fun - a 90-degree corner taken at the speed limit for the straights can be quite fun - there's no law against that, is there? the tension and composure in the chassis and steering when pushing just reasonably past legal limits is still thrilling and captivating. you feel the capability and the potential at most speeds, and while I did occasionally gear up, every turn was a test in balancing the desire to push and being responsible. plus, i know my spots, and after midnight they are pretty wide open, though construction blocked me from some of my favourite spots.

and redman, the R8 V10 does everything and has the visual drama, but the 911 planted the seeds 30 years ago (http://instagram.com/p/tAekz8gHPu/), so there is both an immediate aesthetic attraction and a nostalgic allure to it:

That sounds just like a big mean a$$ snarly beast... :thumbup:

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 04:45:52 pm »
a 90-degree corner taken at the speed limit for the straights can be quite fun - there's no law against that, is there?
I can sadly advise that yes, yes there are laws against that.  Many that will fit the bill, even if not direct.  Careless driving, for example, would stick.   Dangerous driving could also be applied.  ...and let's not forget the law against riding a sleigh on the highway without the requisite number of bells. ;)

i really think old laws should be periodically identified and repealed and I think all the new "elected" law makers must spend at least 2 years repealing sh1tty laws instead of focusing on creating NEW and STILL USELESS laws..

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 04:59:13 pm »
i really think old laws should be periodically identified and repealed and I think all the new "elected" law makers must spend at least 2 years repealing sh1tty laws instead of focusing on creating NEW and STILL USELESS laws..
That does happen - but where it costs more money to repeal than to just leave it and never enforce it, they leave the laws in place.

Dangerous/Careless driving isn't going anywhere any time soon - though Careless needs to be made more specific in intent.