Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo S  (Read 15816 times)

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo S
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 05:03:14 pm »
Jeez guys!   I happen to think the 928 is the best looking Porsche ever made. My personal opinion.  I fully realize that a perfect one is unobtainable and even if I found one it would spend 1/2 its time on the trailer to the people who would mend it.

You could have had this one.  It just sold.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/633749-fs-1988-928s4-5-speed-only-23k-miles.html

Mr Pickypants

HGK

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 05:07:52 pm »
Early 'Panamaras'

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2011, 05:12:58 pm »
The advantage to this car over the others mentioned, slap yerself  on the head and put on winter rubbers and you'd have a year round UGLY CAR........."   there fixed it for ya.......... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

HGK

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2011, 05:13:04 pm »
See!

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2011, 05:34:28 pm »
It's also not the first 4-door car that came out of Porsche, although none of the others actually made it into production.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2011, 06:02:44 pm »
It's also not the first 4-door car that came out of Porsche, although none of the others actually made it into production.

This looks sooo much better than the Panamera.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2011, 06:34:58 pm »
Phew!    The 928 has at least  three supporters then.

Make that 4, I am a fan.

BlackPrince

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2011, 10:14:31 am »
Guy in FLA w/ the Panamera. Do you ACTUALLY use the performance? Probably not mate. The MB S63 AMG is a lot better looking, almost as quick, more roomy blah blah not to mention cheaper. And better fit and finish.

And WTF is comparing the Lotus Evora w/ this car? Firstly the Evora has TWO seats and this has 4, not to mention the same number of doors as well.

Imo this car is for 60 yr old lawyers and bankers w/ small penis issues, lets be honest now. But hey as long as you lot keep overpaying for these types of cars, Porsche has more development money for the likes of the Cayman R and the GT3 RS to keep us proper enthusiasts happy :)

What do I get next if I reply to this: cancer?
You are right about the Panamara (but mainly the Cayenne) throwing a life preserver out to the cars YOU favor, but with an 11 year old in the back seat; I need a sedan -- and frankly mate, the MB S 63 AMG, which rearranges its bulges every couple of years in a seemingly desperate attempt to squeeze something new out of an old styling hat, not only fails to move me (i.e., there are no absolute restraints on my acquiring one after all), but in fact seems exactly the sort of bling barge you're profiling me as driving. I would actually feel uncomoftable riding around in that: picking up my daughter from school, etc.  I was motivated to stretch for the Panamara: would not have done so for the AMG -- and as for cost, remember my 4S is about half that of the Turbo S!

While I haven't driven the Ring yet, I have taken it to the 12 hours of Sebring (not actually on the track); am going on my 3rd set of tires and know all 5 turns on my way to work each day pretty well: still finding a few more mphs every time. The car does not quit but, yes, I do: it is much more capable than am I --  but a trophy shelf is not my goal: the most fun I can possibly have at rush hour when the family is out of it, is.  

Finally, a particular attribute of mine had often been singled out for praise during my single years, though true I haven't heard a lot about it lately.

Ahhh you have a 4S. No small penis for you then :) Sorry I thought you had a Turbo S. But seriously though, where are the Panamera drivers like yourself in Toronto?! Most of the ones I've seen (and I'm aware of the fact that its really none of my business how people use their cars, but as an enthusiast I can't help but notice) are just driven so badly it makes no sense!

But seriously though, kudos for being a proper enthusiast and using your car the way God (Dr. Piech) intended rather than just as a penis extension the way a lot of ppl seem to use them around where I live. FLA roads are basically all straight though no?
Though I suppose that gives you more opportunity to feel that acceleration.

And whoever is comparing the 356 or the Bugatti EB112 or whatever its called to the Panamera is nuts. Those cars are far more attractive from the rear

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2011, 11:34:47 am »
I'd love a 928 if I thought I could afford to keep it running.  They're amazing cars, and the final versions are fast enough to challenge modern performance cars, but they're complex and difficult to DIY.  I had a chance to try a 928 GTS at a PCA event, and I was wowed.  Super desirable car.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2011, 07:09:55 pm »
Add me to the list. I love 928s. If I could find a mint, low mileage GTS with a manual transmission, I'd be sorely tempted.

Phew!    The 928 has at least  three supporters then.

HGK

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2011, 08:57:49 pm »
Guy in FLA w/ the Panamera. Do you ACTUALLY use the performance? Probably not mate. The MB S63 AMG is a lot better looking, almost as quick, more roomy blah blah not to mention cheaper. And better fit and finish.

And WTF is comparing the Lotus Evora w/ this car? Firstly the Evora has TWO seats and this has 4, not to mention the same number of doors as well.

Imo this car is for 60 yr old lawyers and bankers w/ small penis issues, lets be honest now. But hey as long as you lot keep overpaying for these types of cars, Porsche has more development money for the likes of the Cayman R and the GT3 RS to keep us proper enthusiasts happy :)

What do I get next if I reply to this: cancer?
You are right about the Panamara (but mainly the Cayenne) throwing a life preserver out to the cars YOU favor, but with an 11 year old in the back seat; I need a sedan -- and frankly mate, the MB S 63 AMG, which rearranges its bulges every couple of years in a seemingly desperate attempt to squeeze something new out of an old styling hat, not only fails to move me (i.e., there are no absolute restraints on my acquiring one after all), but in fact seems exactly the sort of bling barge you're profiling me as driving. I would actually feel uncomoftable riding around in that: picking up my daughter from school, etc.  I was motivated to stretch for the Panamara: would not have done so for the AMG -- and as for cost, remember my 4S is about half that of the Turbo S!

While I haven't driven the Ring yet, I have taken it to the 12 hours of Sebring (not actually on the track); am going on my 3rd set of tires and know all 5 turns on my way to work each day pretty well: still finding a few more mphs every time. The car does not quit but, yes, I do: it is much more capable than am I --  but a trophy shelf is not my goal: the most fun I can possibly have at rush hour when the family is out of it, is.  

Finally, a particular attribute of mine had often been singled out for praise during my single years, though true I haven't heard a lot about it lately.
No more deformities or physical deficiencies: that's more like it (and an actual compliment), thanks! And -- I do know where you're coming from: I can imagine what its like seeing the posers -- and a first time Porsche buyer picking a Panamera sure goes a long way toward punching that card: I get it, truly. 
Yes we are on a notoriously flat grid down here in South Florida; but that's why I can number the turns to where I work: 5; and truth be told, none of these are even organic; i.e., there's a "hairpin" on-ramp; a long, high sweeper (overpass) etc. And cops everywhere (and I refuse to get a radar detector). Also, I do feel I am something of an ambassador for the line given the "visibility" of my basalt black beast on its 20 inch turbo II wheels; so no wild lane changes (except when no one's near, then I do some just for the hell of it): no cutting off, and always allowing other cars, even lumbering trucks, to merge. After all my obligations are tended to: then its my turn (e.g., a speeding ticket while scrubbing speed from "on ramp" as I merge onto the interstate: opening the exhaust duct and listening to it jog away from every light, etc.
And as for its its looks: I am happy its polarizing, that means it at least tries something different rather than another cookie cutter design with brand cues: but its pointlless to knock it, for not only are sales a pleasant surprise for Porsche, but those who do go for it really and truly do, and here's a question: if its ugly and just for posers, then why are so many chicks not only digging it but buying!?
THat one puzzels me too: i dont think its "pretty," but they are buying it in (relative) droves!
Many happy miles to you!!

Ahhh you have a 4S. No small penis for you then :) Sorry I thought you had a Turbo S. But seriously though, where are the Panamera drivers like yourself in Toronto?! Most of the ones I've seen (and I'm aware of the fact that its really none of my business how people use their cars, but as an enthusiast I can't help but notice) are just driven so badly it makes no sense!

But seriously though, kudos for being a proper enthusiast and using your car the way God (Dr. Piech) intended rather than just as a penis extension the way a lot of ppl seem to use them around where I live. FLA roads are basically all straight though no?
Though I suppose that gives you more opportunity to feel that acceleration.

And whoever is comparing the 356 or the Bugatti EB112 or whatever its called to the Panamera is nuts. Those cars are far more attractive from the rear

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12358
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2011, 09:49:53 am »
Another 928 fan checking in.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.