Author Topic: Mustang Mach-E, California Route 1 edition short drive  (Read 233 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Mustang Mach-E, California Route 1 edition short drive
« on: April 16, 2024, 10:13:35 am »
went to new(ly relocated) ford dealership, buddy wanted to check out Mach-E.

saw lightening pickup truck in the showroom, it was very nice.   120k.  how do people afford these? :o

there was no mach-E in the showroom, so one of the sale people brought one from service bay, looked like someone's demo ride.
i'm told it's reasonably well priced at the moment.

fully charged, it showed 440 km range.
 black on black, it's not very appealing looking, but not bad.  there was another one on the lot, light blue over black, and this one looked better.

interior wise, everything looked to be put together pretty good.   material seemed OK as well.
Horrible seats though.  flat as a board, no lumbar or height adjustment in the passenger seat.  it's not comfortable at all.
feels a little bit small on the inside compared to outside dimension of the car, but leg room seemed plentiful, so probably curvature of the roof making it feel small.

anyway, on to the drive, buddy drove first
he had the "engine sound" on, power on balanced/normal mode.

car was literally stupid fast in straight line.  and the artificial electric motor sound is actually quite fun.   kinda like high pitch burble from BOV or turbo whistle.
in-town speed, it behaves pretty much like any car in normal mode.  you could get used to driving this car pretty quick.

then i drove, in ford's "ludicrous" mode, with motor sound off;  briefly tried "re-gen"(one-pedal driving) mode, and while its doable, it will take me more time than the few minutes of test drive to get used to it, so just switched back.

i've never driven an EV before, so it was quite exciting.
even with artificial sound off, there's fair bit of electric motor noise at speed which is OK to me.
ludicrous mode, as far as i can tell in short drive around dealership, is no different then normal mode...  still stupid fast in straight line.  i did bounce my head off the headrest couple times, but i don't think its measurably faster than normal mode.  but it is super fast.
when you let off accelerator, the car does not feel like it's slowing enough however..  kinda odd floaty feeling.

but any sort of curve in the road resulted in me sliding off the seat.  not like ford can't design decent seats... mustang seat was pretty good to me at low end, and lincoln seats are generally OK, but this mach-e seats reminded me of focus seats.(not the RS)

Range wise, test drive loop is about 14 km, mostly highway, and each time we made the loop, the range went down 20k.
considering we applied "throttle" liberally, maybe pretty good?   

so, to sum up,

/edit/
tried "blue cruise" as well.  the lane keeping assist worked well centering the car as long as you held the steering wheel. you let go of steering wheel, and in like 5 seconds, it stops doing lane keeping thing.
without the hands on steering wheel, it does the pogo thing bouncing on lane markers left and right.  i thought it was useless at first cuz i held steering wheel with 1 finger, and it did the pogo thing, but if you held the steering wheel with full hands, it doesn't do that. 
/-edit/

Mach-E.   pretty good. gave me good outlook for our future electric overlords rule.
 they need to change the seats though.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 10:24:36 am by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: Mustang Mach-E, California Route 1 edition short drive
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 10:36:22 am »
Interesting review, thanks. Good to know about the seats, my wife really can't deal with bad ones

I'd think as soon as prices drop one of our vehicles will get traded off on something electric or PHEV, if we can figure out how to do the charging