Author Topic: No more Ford cars (or at least very few)  (Read 11703 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: No more Ford cars (or at least very few)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 09:06:50 pm »
I was spot on last week or so when the new Focus showed up to say that Focus Active is something that would make a lot of sense in North America (I added that an AWD option would make it even more attractive).

I honestly think a proper hatchback, built with some utility in mind, slightly raised and with AWD option would be the next big thing. I for one, would be very interested in such a vehicle for my daily driver. I would much prefer a proper hatch with AWD and a bit more ground clearance (just enough to keep the hatch appearance), to a weird looking sub-sub-compact SUV/hatch.  This is why I said Focus Active is very interesting.

VW has/had a Golf 4Motion in Europe for example and I always found it the perfect bland.... Still looks like a Golf rather than a weird-looking combination of SUV and hatch like GLA and other small raised hatches. VW Golf Alltrack hits the sweet spot, but it's based on the wagon rather than hatch.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 09:14:53 pm by carcrazy »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 09:44:55 pm »
told y'all so

soon CRVs for everyone...because SUV all the things and you wont have any other choice in the showroom!
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 10:33:07 pm »
Interesting decision - with oil headed to $XXX in the next few months, I am wondering if sales of CUVs and Trucks will slow down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 11:40:47 pm »
One more reason for which hatchbacks with AWD, an extra inch ground clearance and decent cargo will start to make more and more sense. They can do with small engines much better too.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:52:04 am »
I'm sure all the other manufacturers of cars will enjoy Ford's decision.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 11:02:11 am »
...and then follow suit

soon even regular cars as we know them are going to be like wagons: a model or two if you are lucky, very limited configurations, and you never see them in the wild.

"You get body cladding, and you get raised ride height, and you get elevated driving position...everyone gets CUVs!!!"

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 11:20:18 am »
...and then follow suit

soon even regular cars as we know them are going to be like wagons: a model or two if you are lucky, very limited configurations, and you never see them in the wild.

"You get body cladding, and you get raised ride height, and you get elevated driving position...everyone gets CUVs!!!"

That is great !

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 11:52:55 am »

They certainly enjoyed the turbo decision and the aluminum decision LOL....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 03:09:20 pm »

They certainly enjoyed the turbo decision and the aluminum decision LOL....

turbo decision? Oh you are talking trucks...because in cars, that started with Saab in passenger vehicles, and Hyundai was the first in the midsize to not offer a V6 at all.

...and no, it is not a "great" thing AB...some of us still like cars...this is forcing buyers, whether they want to or not, to buy one of those damn things: what if you as a Ford buyer don't want a CUV or truck? Then buy a Mustang...because there will be no other option.

oh well, I guess I will continue to buy used until we are all in electric pods anyways...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 03:27:02 pm »

...and no, it is not a "great" thing AB...some of us still like cars...this is forcing buyers, whether they want to or not, to buy one of those damn things: what if you as a Ford buyer don't want a CUV or truck? Then buy a Mustang...because there will be no other option.

Well, I think this is what prompted Ford's decision in the first place. Probably there aren't too many people anymore that would buy a Ford sedan and for the few that would, the potential lost sales to those people are far offset by not spending the money to design/build/market them. It's all about business and money .....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 03:28:33 pm »
Now that they have a Fiesta sized CUV to add to the Escape, Explorer, Edge and Expedition, they have a CUV/SUV for every size and financial need.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 06:35:43 pm »
some of the articles and comments from people you think that there is hardly any cars sold anymore.  It maybe down in some cases but it's far from gone.

Just checked on some sample of sales in 2017:
Civic:  US - 377,286 - an all time record (at least since 2002) and a steady increase since 2014;  Canada - 69,030
Corolla:  US - 308,695; Canada - 48,380
That is one heck of a lot of vehicles from just two companies in just the compact segment.  I don't think they want to turn that tap off!

Fiesta:  US - 46,249; Canada - 1,838
Focus:  US - 158,385; Canada - 11,937

While car sales are falling in the United States, millions are still sold every year. In 2017, consumers bought more than 6.1 million of them.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/04/gm-ceo-cars-still-significant-will-stick/
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:19:04 pm by conwelpic »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 07:31:32 pm »
Civics and the such still sell in huge numbers thanks to the pricing and economy of operation.  But, those mini-utes are super hot, so I see why they're ramping up more of them.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 11:40:15 am »
supposedly the only Focus that will be available in a year or two will be the Focus Active, which I didn't know what it actually is, so here is some info:

http://www.thedrive.com/news/20429/heres-what-we-know-about-the-ford-focus-active-thats-headed-for-the-u-s

also it appears VW has no intention of following Ford's path

https://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-sticks-to-sedans-100405.html
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:22:00 am by conwelpic »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 09:06:44 pm »
supposedly the only Focus that will be available in a year or two will be the Focus Active, which I didn't know what it actually is, so here is some info:

http://www.thedrive.com/news/20429/heres-what-we-know-about-the-ford-focus-active-thats-headed-for-the-u-s

Same story when Ford decided to go Ecoboost - crazy, we will never do it, 6cyl are the best...blah blah blah - 7y later most vehicles are equipped with turbos.

It’s a wait and see for the whole car thing - I suspect the Fusion will still stick around as some sort of Sedan-CUV hybrid.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 09:14:24 pm »

Same story when Ford decided to go Ecoboost - crazy, we will never do it, 6cyl are the best...blah blah blah - 7y later most vehicles are equipped with turbos.

It’s a wait and see for the whole car thing - I suspect the Fusion will still stick around as some sort of Sedan-CUV hybrid.

you guys talk as though Ford invented turbo in mainstream vehicles...I present to you Saab since the 80s...and Hyundai can be credited with being the first with an all 4cyl and turbo lineup in their midsize cars (other than Saab)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 09:18:31 pm »

you guys talk as though Ford invented turbo in mainstream vehicles...I present to you Saab since the 80s...and Hyundai can be credited with being the first with an all 4cyl and turbo lineup in their midsize cars (other than Saab)

Chrysler/Dodge ran a great number of their cars in the 80s with Turbos too. 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 07:48:43 pm »
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/04/heres-ford-will-cease-production-u-s-lineup-cars/

Here’s when Ford will end production of its cars:

-May 2018: Focus
-March 2019: Taurus
-May 2019: Fiesta

Fusion will stick around for at least a couple more years. Focus Active will be imported from China starting in mid-2019

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 10:06:36 am »
Oldsmobile had a turbocharged 215cu in V8 as an option on the 1962 F-85. Chevrolet introduced the turbo option on the Corvair a few months later.

Most people at the time, didn't understand why they went with the added complexity and not just go with larger displacement engines.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken