Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2017 Mid-Size Sedans  (Read 9890 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Comparison Test: 2017 Mid-Size Sedans
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2017, 01:44:12 pm »
No-San has a point there.  The grill on the hybrid is a bit of a mess.

Dunno what you all are talking about.  All I see is a handsome, somewhat conservatively styled sedan, very much in keeping with the mainstream midsize segment.  Even allowing for differing subjective preferences,  claiming this is "horrid" and the Accord "effing fantastic!" could only be the product of over-consumption of Hyundai haterade.  Or Honda fanboy Kool-aid.  Or both.  Neither can lay a glove on the Mazda 6 for looks.

LOL.  Jaeger, you are clearly the biggest fanboi on this site (maybe 2nd to rrocket's toyota love or Chaos' Alfa crap....well and maybe the Tesla homies too).   

You love ALL things Hyundai.   That's fine, but that Sonata Hybrid grill is clearly horrible.  Be real.

Right. Which is why I said the Mazda 6 is way better looking than the Sonata.  ::)  You be real.  Or else tell me what's so "effing fantastic!" about the Accord styling.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2017, 01:57:38 pm »

Dunno what you all are talking about.  All I see is a handsome, somewhat conservatively styled sedan, very much in keeping with the mainstream midsize segment.  Even allowing for differing subjective preferences,  claiming this is "horrid" and the Accord "effing fantastic!" could only be the product of over-consumption of Hyundai haterade.  Or Honda fanboy Kool-aid.  Or both.  Neither can lay a glove on the Mazda 6 for looks.

LOL.  Jaeger, you are clearly the biggest fanboi on this site (maybe 2nd to rrocket's toyota love or Chaos' Alfa crap....well and maybe the Tesla homies too).   

You love ALL things Hyundai.   That's fine, but that Sonata Hybrid grill is clearly horrible.  Be real.

"could only be the product of over-consumption of Hyundai haterade."

In other words it's FAKE NEWS.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2017, 02:25:01 pm »

Quoting your hero again I see.  :hurl:

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2017, 02:39:42 pm »

Right. Which is why I said the Mazda 6 is way better looking than the Sonata.  ::)  You be real.  Or else tell me what's so "effing fantastic!" about the Accord styling.

True, I can't defend the Accord styling being fantastic (though I do prefer it to the Sonata), but the argument here was centred on the Sonata Hybrid grill.

Styling may be subjective, but I find it hard to believe a man who fancies fine clothing, watches and actually owns an attractive Hyundai grill (admittedly I'm buttering you up here), can find this attractive:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2017, 02:45:02 pm »

True, I can't defend the Accord styling being fantastic (though I do prefer it to the Sonata), but the argument here was centred on the Sonata Hybrid grill.

Styling may be subjective, but I find it hard to believe a man who fancies fine clothing, watches and actually owns an attractive Hyundai grill (admittedly I'm buttering you up here), can find this attractive:

You could find it attractive if you forgot your glasses  ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2017, 02:58:55 pm »
...and in Ontario, there will be a license plate in the middle of that plastic area anyway (which might help to break it up).

Does it?
not really...i was just "guessing"...the bottom is closed for aerodynamics and the center has the sensor...i suppose they could have carried the bumper across the bottom portion, but then that would take away from the style of the "Corporate Grill"...damned if you do, damned if you don't...i wouldn't say it looks great, but i also don't think it's THAT bad.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2017, 03:39:39 pm »

You offered no argument that I could discern. You offered a cheap potshots at me being a Hyundai fanboi. While quoting me saying the Mazda was far better looking than the Hyundai.  ::) 

And The criticism I offered was based on BOTH the characterization of the Hyundai as horrid AND the description of the Honda as Effing fantastic. Which to me speaks of poor eyesight or a lack of objectivity. Likely both.

In no way would I find a simple statement of preference of the Accord styling to that of the Sonata as objectionable.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2017, 04:00:39 pm »
You offered no argument that I could discern. You offered a cheap potshots at me being a Hyundai fanboi. While quoting me saying the Mazda was far better looking than the Hyundai.  ::) 

And The criticism I offered was based on BOTH the characterization of the Hyundai as horrid AND the description of the Honda as Effing fantastic. Which to me speaks of poor eyesight or a lack of objectivity. Likely both.

In no way would I find a simple statement of preference of the Accord styling to that of the Sonata as objectionable.

He characterized the Hyundai grill as ridiculous (which it is) as well as the Honda being fantastic (which it is not).   

Regarding your Hyundai fanboi-ism: sure you can point out the clear superiority of the Mazda 6 styling over the Sonata.  Likewise I presume you'd also admit a Corvette would outperform a Genesis coupe  (though I can't be sure...).

But in literally every thread involving a Hyundai product it is a certainty that you will be posting with a positive view of the car.  And that's fine - you dig Hyundai and spent a chunk of change on one of the best ones.   But don't get your panties in (yet another) knot over being called a fanboi.   There's no shame in loving that slanted H logo. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2017, 05:16:33 pm »
Yes. Include this fine gentleman if the Legacy is involved.
:-*

Yeah, no.  He definitely has to answer for that one.
To be fair, I love the way it looks at night lit up with the LEDs.

...which is to say I love the way it looks when I can barely see the car  :rofl2:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2017, 05:23:17 pm »

He characterized the Hyundai grill as ridiculous (which it is) as well as the Honda being fantastic (which it is not).   

Regarding your Hyundai fanboi-ism: sure you can point out the clear superiority of the Mazda 6 styling over the Sonata.  Likewise I presume you'd also admit a Corvette would outperform a Genesis coupe  (though I can't be sure...).

But in literally every thread involving a Hyundai product it is a certainty that you will be posting with a positive view of the car.  And that's fine - you dig Hyundai and spent a chunk of change on one of the best ones.   But don't get your panties in (yet another) knot over being called a fanboi.   There's no shame in loving that slanted H logo.

And again, you offer no real argument, just ever more "you're such a fanboi" potshots.  Hey - if that's what makes you fee better about yourself just keep repeating yourself till you are good and happy.  No worries on my end.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2017, 06:53:21 pm »

Quoting your hero again I see.  :hurl:
Gotta #MAKEAMERICAGREATAGAIN even if you break a few eggs in the process. The people demand it!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2017, 09:08:33 pm »
The current Fusion and Mazda 6 are both very nice looking cars, I think.

I strongly agree, but was curious in what Mlin32 thought, as he said "None of the cars in the comparatif are what I'd call stylish".  I would even call the previous gen Maxima as being stylish, the Impala (not a mid size), and the mentioned TL. 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2017, 09:19:29 pm »

I strongly agree, but was curious in what Mlin32 thought, as he said "None of the cars in the comparatif are what I'd call stylish".  I would even call the previous gen Maxima as being stylish, the Impala (not a mid size), and the mentioned TL.

Mlin32 thinks a Golf is stylish!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2017, 09:21:25 pm »

Especially the City version!

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2017, 10:24:08 pm »

If I recall correctly, in my review of the Golf Trendline, I did criticise the styling as a bit uninspiring. The facelift makes a bit better, kind of like how the facelift for the Passat sprinkled just a bit of seasoning as well.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline simonsez

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2017, 11:36:56 pm »
Some clarifications perhaps for the Mazda:

"The Mazda6 comes with a decent 2.5L inline four-banger which achieves 184 hp at 5,700 rpm and 185 ft-lb at 3,250. It placed second-last for its engine"

But yet it scored 8.0 under "Power and Refinement" which is second-best behind the Passat.

So which is it? I was always under the impression that the 2.5L was always a bit of a slug. Maybe I'm missing something?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2017, 11:51:06 pm »
^^Nope, you're not missing anything.  Mazda-love bias.   ;)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2017, 11:56:17 pm »
^^Nope, you're not missing anything.  Mazda-love bias.   ;)

Hey be nice! Prefer it too many small displacement turbos!